Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2014
987 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
Raela wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:03 pm
for a stock like DIS, would it be better to hold in TFSA or RRSP account?
RRSP
Dec 3, 2014
987 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
dlhunter wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:51 pm
T will continue down. They have nearly 250B of debt, their growth faltering and dividend no longer safe. Today's reaction is just the beginning.
DIS on the other hand, has content that no NFLX will be able to best for awhile. I would buy more DIS, but a bit lower (hopefully)
I like DIS. I think they can both go lower. They are both reasonable size positions in my portfolio. Maybe 3-4% each. I’m only a little down on T from my ACB around one year ago. May wait it out a bit longer before I jump in further
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1601 posts
634 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Raela wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:03 pm
for a stock like DIS, would it be better to hold in TFSA or RRSP account?
llpresident wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:53 pm
RRSP
+1 for RRSP. The US government recognizes RRSP as a tax deferral vehicle, but does not recognize TFSAs as a tax-free vehicle. Hence, you would have to pay a 15% minimum US Tax withholding on any dividends you receive that are US stocks.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Dec 22, 2007
231 posts
2 upvotes
Thornhill
xgbsSS wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:14 pm
+1 for RRSP. The US government recognizes RRSP as a tax deferral vehicle, but does not recognize TFSAs as a tax-free vehicle. Hence, you would have to pay a 15% minimum US Tax withholding on any dividends you receive that are US stocks.
but then DIS is kinda in the middle between Dividend play and capital appreciation, wouldn't you say growth outweighs the dividend play?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1601 posts
634 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Raela wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:28 pm
but then DIS is kinda in the middle between Dividend play and capital appreciation, wouldn't you say growth outweighs the dividend play?
You're overthinking the whole tax efficiency issue. It's not about defining the type of stock it is. The point is where to save your taxes. If you carry both Canadian and US shares, you are better off placing the US shares in an RRSP and the Canadian shares in the TFSA. If DIS paid no distributions, it wouldn't matter so much. But since it does, you might as well place it in a way so you are not taxed.

Besides, DIS is not going to appreciate that much. If you were talking about a stock that could easily double in a short time-frame, I would start to consider a TFSA.
Dec 3, 2014
987 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
AMZN looks like it wants to break out from here. What might I buy? AMZN

Gonna hit the wait button on T. If they can’t grow in their growth area this stock has issues. Could go much lower. I’ll wait to add more. Already own a bunch.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1601 posts
634 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
I think I am going to jump on Hawaiian Holdings soon (NYSE:HA). There was a good analysis on Seeking Alpha that looked more into the threat by Southwest Airlines and how the writer believes that those fears are somewhat overblown. Plus a dividend is always a nice feature ;)

https://seekingalpha.com/article/411058 ... n-airlines

In the end, even though market share will be taken away, lower cost travel will not just cannibalize seats, it will actually increase demand of tourism to Hawaii. I think Hawaiian is in a good position to create a premium product especially as Hawaii is not considered a cheap vacation spot to begin with. New partnership with JAL and further market expansions will likely add value.
Feb 26, 2017
246 posts
62 upvotes
Added a bit to AQN at 13.53.

Will also likely sell a small portion of the ENB I own. Its part of a move to own ENB in my RRSP instead of my TFSA that will be done over 2 days.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4343 posts
429 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:03 am
Added a bit to AQN at 13.53.

Will also likely sell a small portion of the ENB I own. Its part of a move to own ENB in my RRSP instead of my TFSA that will be done over 2 days.
ENB in RRSP instead of TFSA? may I ask why?
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Feb 26, 2017
246 posts
62 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:36 am
ENB in RRSP instead of TFSA? may I ask why?
Pipelines were 75% of my TFSA (not a great idea in hindsight). I still like ENB but this move gets me down to 50% pipelines in my TFSA. My plan is to eventually get down to 0% in energy for the TFSA and hold my pipeline/energy stocks in my cash account/RRSP. I don't really like making moves like this (its going to be 6 transactions).
Dec 3, 2014
987 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:15 pm
I think I am going to jump on Hawaiian Holdings soon (NYSE:HA). There was a good analysis on Seeking Alpha that looked more into the threat by Southwest Airlines and how the writer believes that those fears are somewhat overblown. Plus a dividend is always a nice feature ;)

https://seekingalpha.com/article/411058 ... n-airlines

In the end, even though market share will be taken away, lower cost travel will not just cannibalize seats, it will actually increase demand of tourism to Hawaii. I think Hawaiian is in a good position to create a premium product especially as Hawaii is not considered a cheap vacation spot to begin with. New partnership with JAL and further market expansions will likely add value.
No concerns about owning too many airlines? They could be doing everything right and all we need is one terrorist attack to erode market cap. Even just price of crude. That’s always been my issue with airlines, they don’t have that much control over their destiny. They are at the mercy of a lot of intangibles and third parties.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1601 posts
634 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
llpresident wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:29 am
No concerns about owning too many airlines? They could be doing everything right and all we need is one terrorist attack to erode market cap. Even just price of crude. That’s always been my issue with airlines, they don’t have that much control over their destiny. They are at the mercy of a lot of intangibles and third parties.
You could argue that with many industries are susceptible to terrorism. Latest terrorism is more to do with on the ground and not airliners. With crude, these airlines were running profitably even before the drop in oil prices. With the increase in fuel efficient aircraft and consolidation of the industry, margins have increased and well run companies have done well. I like going with industries/companies that are unpopular in general. People's general resistance to airlines have cost them a golden opportunity. The same sentiment is shared by many analysts and they always quote outdated information (eg. they are perennially unprofitable etc.). This is also why I own Volkswagen too. I go where people don't. This is also why I don't touch marijuana stocks in general.

The only really overweight position I have is Air Canada. Yes, I am heavy on airlines and focus a lot on them, but I only own one at the moment (technically 2, I have literally 6 shares of VLRS :P) . My exit plan for Air Canada is to wait out the next cycle and/or for foreign ownership restrictions to lift. A foreign ownership restriction is somewhat shielding AIr Canada at the moment. A lifting will likely boost the share price initially but as low cost competition builds, that can pressure Air Canada over the long term.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4343 posts
429 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:52 am
Pipelines were 75% of my TFSA (not a great idea in hindsight). I still like ENB but this move gets me down to 50% pipelines in my TFSA. My plan is to eventually get down to 0% in energy for the TFSA and hold my pipeline/energy stocks in my cash account/RRSP. I don't really like making moves like this (its going to be 6 transactions).
Understood but should you not be considering your % allocation across all investment vehicles (TFSA, RRSP..etc)...and not separately?
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Feb 26, 2017
246 posts
62 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:56 am
Understood but should you not be considering your % allocation across all investment vehicles (TFSA, RRSP..etc)...and not separately?
I don't think sector allocation in one account should be the primary focus. When its really unbalanced I think its a risk that it can cause under performance.

I'm trying to move the TFSA to a mix of stocks and probably eventually also ETFs that I'm comfortable just leaving alone. First step unfortunately involves taking a loss in the TFSA and paying TD $60 in commissions :)