• Jan 30th, 2011 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2010
24 posts
Vaughan, Ontario

What is the difference between "Plantation shutters and California shutters?"

I've searched both of them up on Google and they look the same. Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2616 posts
760 upvotes
They are identical. Called 'plantation shutters' as they were commonplace in the mansions of cotton plantations in the american south in the late 18th century and onward, and began spreading from there. When they reached California in the mid 19th century, residents had no idea what a plantation was, and thinking they were invented locally, coined them 'California shutters'
Mar 9, 2008
369 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
I was looking for shutters myself but there doesn't seem to be any good deals in Vancouver. But there's the difference, seems like the width.

plantation shutters are 3 1/2 inch
California Shutters are 2 3/8 inch

http://www.shutterguys.ca/styles.htm
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10770 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
^^ That's correct.

Our Plantation shutters are 3 1/2" wide. I personally prefer the Plantation size vs. California size especially for larger windows.
Gives you a nicer more open view to the outside & looks less "busy".
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
patrob wrote:
Jan 30th, 2011 2:46 pm
^^ That's correct.

Our Plantation shutters are 3 1/2" wide. I personally prefer the Plantation size vs. California size especially for larger windows.
Gives you a nicer more open view to the outside & looks less "busy".

Any suggestions on where to buy from? We are moving to a new home and will need all window coverings.... Have no clue on what type of coverings to get... shears, drapes, roller shades, shutters...