Food & Drink

What is difference between: Pork Loin vs Sirloin vs Tenderloin ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2011 1:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
17 upvotes

What is difference between: Pork Loin vs Sirloin vs Tenderloin ?

Hi all,

I opened a variety of supermarket flyers and learning about meat terminology.

Call me dumb dumb, but what is the difference between Pork Loin, Pork Sirloin and Pork Tenderloin ?

I could probably go to the supermarket and they'd probably look all the same... But!

Or are they 3 different words that means exactly the same thing ? Are there subtle differences ?

Thanks in advance.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Think about a T-bone steak as an analogy (I know it's beef, but it will do as an explanation).

The larger side is a cross section of the strip loin, and has more flavor, better marbling, and less tenderness than the other side, which is smaller and pure tenderloin.

A pork tenderloin will be tender, but tends to be dry, and needs moist cooking.

Sirloin is something different: a cut from the upper hip not quite as uniform and tender as the loin/tenderloin, but easy to cook.

The differences in pork cuts are subtle. Any of these cuts will be easy to handle if pork rather than beef. Choose pork by appearance and QPR, and look for slight marbling in the meat.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
canadien99 wrote: Does this mean you know the answer ? Please share. Thanks.

Yes. And no.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
A loin is the portion of meat running along the back of hooved animals. The pork loin is near the center (where the best pork chops come from), while the Sirloin is toward the rear (tougher). The tenderloin is a small strip of meat hanging underneath the pork loin - it is very tender because it does almost no work.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
17 upvotes
Amourek wrote: A loin is the portion of meat running along the back of hooved animals. The pork loin is near the center (where the best pork chops come from), while the Sirloin is toward the rear (tougher). The tenderloin is a small strip of meat hanging underneath the pork loin - it is very tender because it does almost no work.

Thanks for your explanation.

Can i say that Loin, Sirloin and Tenderloin are technically the same piece of meat and the difference when it comes down to cooking (and ultimately tender pork taste) is the amount of prep work required prior to cooking?

For example: tenderizing the meat by beating the pork with the back of the knife in order to loosen the muscle fibers, and the strength of marinade ?

Or there is a different "tip" to be had for cooking each of these types of pork chops ?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
canadien99 wrote: Thanks for your explanation.

Can i say that Loin, Sirloin and Tenderloin are technically the same piece of meat and the difference when it comes down to cooking (and ultimately tender pork taste) is the amount of prep work required prior to cooking?

For example: tenderizing the meat by beating the pork with the back of the knife in order to loosen the muscle fibers, and the strength of marinade ?

Or there is a different "tip" to be had for cooking each of these types of pork chops ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert, but when cooking pork I treat almost any cut the same as any other cut unlike beef. I don't really notice that much difference. However I never cook things like pork shoulder or pork butt....just tenderloin, pork chop....and stuff that looks similar.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
17 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: I'm not an expert, but when cooking pork I treat almost any cut the same as any other cut unlike beef. I don't really notice that much difference. However I never cook things like pork shoulder or pork butt....just tenderloin, pork chop....and stuff that looks similar.

When you say treat: As examples, how do you prepare and ultimately cook your pork ?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
longitude wrote: Is there a problem officer?

No problems here, Pork Crusader.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
Kenny Blankenship wrote: No problems here, Pork Crusader.

+1

oinc oinc
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Oct 1, 2007
265 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
canadien99 wrote: Can i say that Loin, Sirloin and Tenderloin are technically the same piece of meat and the difference when it comes down to cooking (and ultimately tender pork taste) is the amount of prep work required prior to cooking?

No. The tenderloin while coming from the same part of the animal is in itself a solitary muscle. It is the most tender muscle on any animal. There is very little fat, and what fat is there is on the outside with the silverskin.

You can basically tear it apart with your hands. One a pig it is the equivalent of a chicken tender or where filet mignon is cut from a cow.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
MS MSP wrote: don't feed the troll! Look at this guy's other threads.

We must bury the troll.
11b guide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)