Automotive

What is the difference between the Toyota Camry and the Lexus ES sedan series?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2007 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Apr 13, 2007
373 posts
Mississauga

What is the difference between the Toyota Camry and the Lexus ES sedan series?

hi,

I was just curious and wondering what is the difference between the Toyota Camry and the Lexus ES series? and why is it more expensive? because i was told that the Lexus ES series has the Camry engine in it and basically the same car but the Lexus is fancier

Lets just assume that the Camry is fully loaded with as much options as possible with all the fancy things inside like leather, power group package, etc. which can be as fancy as the Lexus and the msrp is between $37,000 - $38,000 when i asked at the dealership, and the msrp of the Lexus ES is ~$42,000

thanks,
Chris
24 replies
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
The difference is instead of a T on the front of the car, you get a L and add about $4000 to $8000 ontop of the purchase price, thats about sums it up.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
Though it's common knowledge that the ES is simply an upscaled Camry, the actual differences (and whether they are worth it or not) I can't really comment on because I'm not too sure about the specifics there...

However I would recommend taking a test drive of both, perhaps looking them up on the official sites, getting brochures etc. I'm sure with a minimal of research you'll find the real differences and then be able to decide if it's worth it for the ES or not.

For example, the Audi A3 and VW GTI are "the same car" as well; however to realise why the Audi costs more and bears the Audi badge all you really need to do is sit in both of them and you'll know quite quickly ;) Now if you don't notice any difference personally, the cheaper one is probably the better buy for you. Though in this example the A3 really is the better car, there's no point in spending the extra $$$ on one if you can't perceive or appreciate the differences, right?
Mar 2, 2005
285 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Paolo wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 9:32 pm
The difference is instead of a T on the front of the car, you get a L and add about $4000 to $8000 ontop of the purchase price, thats about sums it up.
Exactly. If you want to go for a Lexus, you go for one of the other models that isn't based on a Toyota otherwise you are better off financially going for a Toyota.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1515 posts
59 upvotes
Victoria
TOyota/ Lexus has went thru great extent to make the ES350 not like a camry.

when you sit in an ES, it does not feel like a camry.
when you drive in an ES, it does not feel at all like a camry.

the engine response and noise is basically whispers in ones ears in an ES. when you walk in lexus lot, the ES blends really well in, and even though it is FWD, it plays very well against its competitors

eventhough, the mechanical and chasis components are similar.. the ES is quite a unique car..

alot of manufactures use same platform chasis through out the line up..
Sep 4, 2005
806 posts
15 upvotes
nadeemhasan wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:00 pm
Exactly. If you want to go for a Lexus, you go for one of the other models that isn't based on a Toyota otherwise you are better off financially going for a Toyota.
By that logic, all of the Lexus models are based on a Toyota (overseas anyways).. but doesn't mean Lexus does not have its advantage or points to justify its price difference.

But as someone said above, if you went to test drive both cars and cannot feel the difference, then you should go for the cheaper one... the new Camry's are really nice already :)
Sep 4, 2005
806 posts
15 upvotes
oldsnail wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:20 pm
alot of manufactures use same platform chasis through out the line up..
Correct..

For example..

Audi A3 = VW GTI
Audi A4 = VW Passat
Acura TL = Honda Accord
and the list goes on................
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
13937 posts
692 upvotes
Markham
ar_ken wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:25 pm
Correct..

For example..

Audi A3 = VW GTI
Audi A4 = VW Passat
Acura TL = Honda Accord
wow never knew that... they don't look alike at all! :lol:
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
There's platform sharing, and there's badge engineering. I think platform sharing is OK, people don't seem to have a problem with the 350z sharing a platform with the Infiniti FX, but the ES really is a rebadged Camry. They look very similar from the outside and you note that the ES is the only FWD in the Lexus lineup. It's the cheapest one too right?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6345 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nadeemhasan wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:00 pm
Sit in the Lexus, then sit in the Camry.

One of them FEELS much more luxurious than the other.

Besides, how many people do you think know about the fact that they share a platform?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6345 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ar_ken wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:23 pm
But as someone said above, if you went to test drive both cars and cannot feel the difference, then you should go for the cheaper one... the new Camry's are really nice already :)
The difference is in the interior (most people feel the Camry is unusually cheap by Toyota standards on the inside, the ES is majorly upscale) and in the equipment list. A fully loaded Lexus ES (for about $54K MSRP) has a bunch of equipment that isn't offered in the Camry.

Oh, and the sheet metal for the Lexus is much nicer. The 06+ Camry is ugly...
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
ar_ken wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 10:25 pm
Correct..

For example..

Audi A3 = VW GTI
Audi A4 = VW Passat
Acura TL = Honda Accord
ShadowVlican wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 11:06 pm
wow never knew that... they don't look alike at all! :lol:
Actually, Acura TSX = Honda Accord, and Acura CSX = Honda Civic.

Also, i'd say that the Lexus IS is more of a Camry than the ES.
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
TL is based on the USDM Accord, the TSX is based on the European Accord. They sell both in Australia - an "Accord" and an "Accord Euro".

The Camry is much bigger than the IS, and FWD instead of RWD. They have nothing in common. The ES is identical to the Camry.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote:
Sep 29th, 2007 12:11 am
The Camry is much bigger than the IS, and FWD instead of RWD. They have nothing in common. The ES is identical to the Camry.
I stand corrected.
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6345 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote:
Sep 29th, 2007 12:11 am
They have nothing in common. The ES is identical to the Camry.
Identical? Only under the hood..

Sheet metal's different. Interior's different.

Hell, engine tuning is different. The ES gets 4 more HP but requires premium gas... (lousy tradeoff IMO)
× < >