Computers & Electronics

What to do with the broken 10" RCA tablet ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 9:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes

What to do with the broken 10" RCA tablet ?

My kid's 10" RCA tablet was stepped on, screen is cracked and the touchscreen is not responding. I know it is a cheap tablet that probably not worth fixing at all. I wonder other than putting it to the landfill, anything else I can do with it ?
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
772 upvotes
Oshawa
Sell for $10 on Kijiji for parts
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Dec 27, 2007
18698 posts
9825 upvotes
Kitchener
What would it be useful for without a screen ?
Does it have HDMI output ? if so you can use it for media playback with some wireless keyboard/mouse (if it supports USB OTG).

Edit: this might be a good time to check the Fire HD tablet currently on sale.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-c ... 9-2259244/
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
513 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 1:29 pm
My kid's 10" RCA tablet was stepped on, screen is cracked and the touchscreen is not responding. I know it is a cheap tablet that probably not worth fixing at all. I wonder other than putting it to the landfill, anything else I can do with it ?
Put is behind paper-target to stop bullets from air-gun.

Cheers!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18360 posts
17086 upvotes
Toronto
Save until April, then trade for free Pizza Pizza slice
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
772 upvotes
Oshawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 2:34 pm
Just recycle it and get a new one.
Why pay money to go in to the Recycling Centre to recycle it? That's just stupid! You already pay a fee to buy the thing and you have to pay to get rid of the thing. That's total BS.
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24676 posts
4954 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 5:09 pm
Why pay money to go in to the Recycling Centre to recycle it? That's just stupid! You already pay a fee to buy the thing and you have to pay to get rid of the thing. That's total BS.
What money are you talking about? Dunno what things are like in Oshawa but in the GTA most HHW depots take these things no charge.

Do NOT throw things with Li-Ion batteries, along with possible other hazardous materials within (e.g. lead solder, other environmetnally dangerous metals), in the trash.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You paid for the recycling when you purchased it. Commonly referred to as EHF (Enviroinmental Handling Fee)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2917 posts
852 upvotes
Enjoy running it over in the parking lot with your Special Edition Hyundai Pony.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2382 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 1:29 pm
Why don't you make this a tech project for your kids? Have them open it up and see what's inside? This could be a learning curve for them.

Heck see how much a screen would cost and if you could replace it yourself, then it could be a nice weekend job!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 8:22 am
Heck see how much a screen would cost and if you could replace it yourself, then it could be a nice weekend job!
I am not sure if there is any RCA repair center/place to sell replacement glass in GTA. Even there is, I doubt it would be worth to buy & replace the screen as the tablet was only ~$100. On top of that, I think there is also something wrong with the touch screen as it is not responding to any touch........
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23375 posts
9003 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 1:34 pm
Sell for $10 on Kijiji for parts
You mean on eBay as "lightly used"

lead wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:58 pm
https://www.amazon.com/pcspareparts-Rep ... B014AV2DQ8

i dunno? this seems pretty cheap to fix if thats the problem and model matches? check out the reviews and wade in if you think its worth the effort
If the LCD itself is fine, this is what I'd do.

Hell I just fixed my screen on my Nexus 5X and it's also worth about $100 right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
772 upvotes
Oshawa
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:37 pm
You mean on eBay as "lightly used"
With eBay ... you will be at a loss ... eBay Sellers Fees + PayPal Fees ... hahahaha

With Kijiji / Craigslist ... you get your full $10 ... hahahaha ... no fees