Computers & Electronics

What to do with the broken 10" RCA tablet ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 9:43 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24019 posts
9541 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:48 pm
With eBay ... you will be at a loss ... eBay Sellers Fees + PayPal Fees ... hahahaha
That was more a joke implying that lightly used goods on eBay are not actually lightly used.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
Thanks. Will check it out. However, like I said the screen is not responding to any touch. So, not sure if the issue is just cracked screen....
lead wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:58 pm
https://www.amazon.com/pcspareparts-Rep ... B014AV2DQ8

i dunno? this seems pretty cheap to fix if thats the problem and model matches? check out the reviews and wade in if you think its worth the effort
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6163 posts
2504 upvotes
Alberta
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 10:38 pm
What money are you talking about? Dunno what things are like in Oshawa but in the GTA most HHW depots take these things no charge.

Do NOT throw things with Li-Ion batteries, along with possible other hazardous materials within (e.g. lead solder, other environmetnally dangerous metals), in the trash.
x2. What the hell is he talking about? Not once have I ever been charged to recycle anything electronic, batteries, engine oil etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7464 posts
2682 upvotes
Markham
Will it Frisbee? If no, garbage.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24019 posts
9541 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks. Will check it out. However, like I said the screen is not responding to any touch. So, not sure if the issue is just cracked screen....
There's 2 parts to a screen: Digitizer and the LCD itself.
Usually the underlying LCD is just fine. It's just the digitizer that's cracked. This is also the bit that responds to touch.

Closely examine your screen. See if there's any wacky colors or obvious breaks.
It looks like this:

If the image behind the screen is fine and it's all broken glass, your LCD is fine and you can (cheaply) replace the digitizer assuming you can find the proper part number.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
Thanks. The image on the screen looks fine, it just doesn't respond to my touch.
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:02 pm
There's 2 parts to a screen: Digitizer and the LCD itself.
Usually the underlying LCD is just fine. It's just the digitizer that's cracked. This is also the bit that responds to touch.

Closely examine your screen. See if there's any wacky colors or obvious breaks.
It looks like this:

If the image behind the screen is fine and it's all broken glass, your LCD is fine and you can (cheaply) replace the digitizer assuming you can find the proper part number.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24019 posts
9541 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:26 pm
Thanks. The image on the screen looks fine, it just doesn't respond to my touch.
Cheap fix if you can find the digitizer.
Whether it's easy or not though...

(Basic) tools sometimes come with the digitizer.
You'll also need a hair dryer and a ton of patience because the glue is sticky.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
I see. Do you know if that package from Amazon includes the glue and all necessary tools ?
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:33 pm
Cheap fix if you can find the digitizer.
Whether it's easy or not though...

(Basic) tools sometimes come with the digitizer.
You'll also need a hair dryer and a ton of patience because the glue is sticky.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24019 posts
9541 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:46 pm
I see. Do you know if that package from Amazon includes the glue and all necessary tools ?
Is that your actual tablet?
The picture shows it does include the basic tools you'll need.
On top of that you'll need a hair dryer. Some metal based tools might be nice like an xacto knife.
Safety goggles too since you're dealing with potentially flying broken glass.
You might need special screw drivers too if your tablet has stupid screws. But the included ones usually open most things.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
I am not sure what you mean if it is my actual tablet.... It is my kid's tablet.

Anyway, I guess I should think about if I want to spend/waste more money on it as I may not have the technical skills to fix it even I got the right part.......
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 3:52 pm
Is that your actual tablet?
The picture shows it does include the basic tools you'll need.
On top of that you'll need a hair dryer. Some metal based tools might be nice like an xacto knife.
Safety goggles too since you're dealing with potentially flying broken glass.
You might need special screw drivers too if your tablet has stupid screws. But the included ones usually open most things.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24019 posts
9541 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:02 pm
I am not sure what you mean if it is my actual tablet.... It is my kid's tablet.
I meant the same model number. I thought that link was to the first result to "RCA tablet digitizer" and not your actual tablet model.
Anyway, I guess I should think about if I want to spend/waste more money on it as I may not have the technical skills to fix it even I got the right part.......
I'd google around to see if anyone has a teardown.
Some devices are ridiculously difficult whereas some others are quite easy.
There's not much technical skill required as long as you can handle stupidly small parts.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
I am checking the retail box, the model is Viking II. By the way, the box says it is imported by AVC Multimedia in Markham. I wonder if they have a repair center.
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 4:14 pm
I meant the same model number. I thought that link was to the first result to "RCA tablet digitizer" and not your actual tablet model.

I'd google around to see if anyone has a teardown.
Some devices are ridiculously difficult whereas some others are quite easy.
There's not much technical skill required as long as you can handle stupidly small parts.
Jul 6, 2017
102 posts
49 upvotes
Try searching for the part on aliexpress instead of amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9960 posts
1348 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 8:22 am
Why don't you make this a tech project for your kids? Have them open it up and see what's inside? This could be a learning curve for them.

Heck see how much a screen would cost and if you could replace it yourself, then it could be a nice weekend job!
+1

This is a really good idea. I was doing the whole take electronics apart and reassemble when I was a kid and it made a big difference in the confidence level of repairing devices later in life.