Cell Phones

What to do with found iphone with password?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2013 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
u0dcameron wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 9:07 am
Bunch of boy scouts, I can tell you if I lost an iPhone/iPod and it was this type of situation I would rather the person just keep it than return it to the police station. I wouldn't be going to the police station looking for it. I would chalk up my loss learn from it and move on.
Yeah but it's the right thing to do. Finders/keepers is for the school yard not for real life. If it's not yours, do the right thing.

Co-incidentally a co-worker was telling me the other day of how she went to a bar and found a purse. Instead of turing it in, they took it to the bathroom, rummaged through it and took the cash and phone they found inside. They sold the phone for a few hundred. The whole time she was telling her story, I couldn't help but think what a scumbag she was. This isn't the same situation as the OP (not accusing you of the same behavior at all), but the ideals are the same.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16217 posts
256 upvotes
eiad77 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 8:54 am
I didn't even think of returning it to the police station. I doubt they will find the owner, but that's what I will do.

Oh and it's an iphone 4, I looked up the model number.
Good for you, way to go the extra mile.
u0dcameron wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 9:07 am
Bunch of boy scouts, I can tell you if I lost an iPhone/iPod and it was this type of situation I would rather the person just keep it than return it to the police station. I wouldn't be going to the police station looking for it. I would chalk up my loss learn from it and move on.
BS, you would want the chance to get it back if you could. Dont use some kind of backwards logic to justify to yourself that its ok to keep some elses stuff when you find it.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16217 posts
256 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 9:14 am
Yeah but it's the right thing to do. Finders/keepers is for the school yard not for real life. If it's not yours, do the right thing.

Co-incidentally a co-worker was telling me the other day of how she went to a bar and found a purse. Instead of turing it in, they took it to the bathroom, rummaged through it and took the cash and phone they found inside. They sold the phone for a few hundred. The whole time she was telling her story, I couldn't help but think what a scumbag she was. This isn't the same situation as the OP (not accusing you of the same behavior at all), but the ideals are the same.
You should have spoken up, thats awful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Super strokey wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 10:53 am
You should have spoken up, thats awful.
I mentioned that she should/could have just turned it in to the bartender and I thought it was a ***** move but she really didn't care. She was really proud of her story and how she and her friend worked in unison to lift the purse, hide it under a shirt or jacket and move together to the bathroom.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16217 posts
256 upvotes
ceredon wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 11:03 am
I mentioned that she should/could have just turned it in to the bartender and I thought it was a ***** move but she really didn't care. She was really proud of her story and how she and her friend worked in unison to lift the purse, hide it under a shirt or jacket and move together to the bathroom.
Wow... watch your stuff at work.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2427 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
ceredon wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 11:03 am
Whoa.. working to lift the purse isn't exactly the same as "finding" it....
Hope she gets hers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
litebrite wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 12:41 pm
Whoa.. working to lift the purse isn't exactly the same as "finding" it....
Hope she gets hers.
Sorry, I was unclear. She did find it unattended on a chair. By lifting it I meant her friend blocked her from view, she lifted it from the chair and slipped it up her shirt or under her jacket or something like that. She didn't actually lift it off of someone's shoulder.

But it's still theft.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3680 posts
219 upvotes
i would turn it into to apple with the following note and have a manager sign it. this item was found. i have turned it over to you as you have the means to find the owner. if you do not find the owner after 30 days, then I will consider the found item to be my property having made reasonable attempts to find the rightful owner. I will then return in 30 days to have the phone returned. If you fail to return the phone, I will request a replacement product since you will have converted what is rightfully now my property. Please ensure that you retain records to evidence that should you find the owner, I can request that you verify the same with me.
Oct 11, 2010
742 posts
78 upvotes
Can you find out which carrier the phone is locked too?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
i would give to the police or turn into a store... if your stopped by police and for any reason the original owner did report it stolen with serial number you could be charged with theft or accomplice to theft. Selling it would be similar.

Otherwise just destroy it.

As for no sim card... the owner could have been a traveller who was going to purchase a local sim card but lost the phone before he could put it in. These are people that who will usually file a police report hoping to recover a very expensive phone. Also if there is a report filed and you turn it in the owners might feel good about you and offer a small reward.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7638 posts
2758 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Over a year ago, I had an old jb'd iPhone3G in an otterbox I let my kids play with as an iPod, no SIM.
On the back was my home phone number but you couldn't see it unless you took off the case.

If they lost it, I wouldn't care.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9952 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I think bringing to police will be pointless

Put a Sim in it..(to see if you can figure out the carrier) or access contacts then you have someone to call

Otherwise apple store can tell you who the owner is... I know they can't tell you due to privacy but what you can do is ask them for an out of warranty repair quote...if the device was registered you more have contact info... Potentially full name, phone number and e-mail
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Apr 23, 2006
538 posts
82 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 4:43 pm
Personally I think bringing to police will be pointless

Put a Sim in it..(to see if you can figure out the carrier) or access contacts then you have someone to call

Otherwise apple store can tell you who the owner is... I know they can't tell you due to privacy but what you can do is ask them for an out of warranty repair quote...if the device was registered you more have contact info... Potentially full name, phone number and e-mail
Keyword there is THINK. You really don't know until you try. I agree that it's unlikely the owner of the phone went to the police, but at least by bringing it there you're doing the right thing and making a genuine effort to return it to the owner. And like I said before, if the owner doesn't claim it, you can usually have it returned to you.

But bringing it to the Apple Store is also a good choice too if you have one nearby.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3156 posts
161 upvotes
Markham
Screen is badly damaged and no sim card,i guess it is safe to say owner throw it away.
Feb 20, 2009
966 posts
131 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 10:52 am
Good for you, way to go the extra mile.

BS, you would want the chance to get it back if you could. Dont use some kind of backwards logic to justify to yourself that its ok to keep some elses stuff when you find it.
No not BS, I'm careful with my things I have an iPhone and have the find your phone app etc... if I lost it and it wasn't in the last spot I remember having it I would forget about it and move on.
× < >