Real Estate

What do I have to do to find a place to live?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 10:56 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
356 posts
17 upvotes

What do I have to do to find a place to live?

I have been looking for a place to rent for a few months but putting it off till the weather turned wasn't a great idea. What the heck has happened with room or apartment listings? I have even looked for basements in the North York area but it is just crazy, there seems to be nothing decent available.

Even apartment buildings are booked way into the future. I generally avoid buildings. Any tips on how to find something quickly?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1193 posts
241 upvotes
Ferris Bueller wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:36 pm
I have been looking for a place to rent for a few months but putting it off till the weather turned wasn't a great idea. What the heck has happened with room or apartment listings? I have even looked for basements in the North York area but it is just crazy, there seems to be nothing decent available.

Even apartment buildings are booked way into the future. I generally avoid buildings. Any tips on how to find something quickly?
You'd need to provide with more info - what exactly are you looking for?

Kijiji and craigslist tend to have the most postings for such listings.
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage United Realty
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2441 posts
1321 upvotes
Ferris Bueller wrote:

Aren't people in the GTA apartment hunting for 6-18 months to find a decent place where a landlord is even willing to take them as tenants?

I thought I read an article recently where a young couple was denied their rental application for being 'too young', despite having good credit, stable jobs and good income.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4094 posts
418 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Ferris Bueller wrote:

Post adds on kijiji or reply promptly on kijij and offer renters a few extra hundrend in rent as premium.

As you know market is flooded and in high demand so paying premium will get you in quicker.

Pick friends and family for leads even facebook to all your contacts,,,,,,,something may turn up that hasn't be publically advertised.
Dec 2, 2014
398 posts
122 upvotes
London, ON
It's turned into a real race to the bottom with people fighting over table scraps. I looked to buy a house for about 8 months in East York, where I was born/raised and the only place in Toronto I had any interest in staying in, but ended up just leaving the city entirely because of the state of the market. I won't fault anyone for staying and fighting for their spot but I honestly haven't thought once about Toronto after moving...I'm much happier with the better quality of life available to me in London.
Sep 9, 2016
176 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
My parents put up a basement for rent on the edge of Scarborough on Kijiji and within 24 hrs had about 30 people call expressing interest. Many willing to pay first and last sight unseen. In the end someone offered to pay 20% more than they were asking and viola!!!

Thats the market we are in.

Adjust yourself accordingly.
Mar 7, 2011
149 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Over 3000 rental listings on realtor.ca for the GTA OP. Get a realtor to do the search for you... so few homes for sale at the moment I'm sure they would love to represent you. Give them your criteria and have them set up the showings. They'll even drive you around! + it will cost you nothing since the landlord pays the commission.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9643 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
Mythical09 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:23 pm
My parents put up a basement for rent on the edge of Scarborough on Kijiji and within 24 hrs had about 30 people call expressing interest. Many willing to pay first and last sight unseen. In the end someone offered to pay 20% more than they were asking and viola!!!

Thats the market we are in.

Adjust yourself accordingly.
Really? That's crazy. There were always been tons of choices in the outer edges of Scarborough. There's still a decent number of vacancies in those ol apartment buildings, but I guess people want a house regardless.