Pets

What do i need to ask for when buying a pet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 9:49 am
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
207 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What do i need to ask for when buying a pet?

shots, vet documents, dewormed and registration? What else do i need to know? I want to buy a Pomsky but they are hard to get.
7 replies
Sep 15, 2017
55 posts
7 upvotes
Saskatoon
What breed specific health testing they did and ask for proof. Research the breed and find out what they are susceptible to.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2771 posts
914 upvotes
Toronto
Registration will be a challenge since the "breed" is not recognized by the CKC, UKC or AKC. So everything that goes along with that is out the door.

I'd be looking at the breeder, see how long they have been around, see their facilities and let your nose and eyes be the judge. I suggest you check out a couple of recognized breeders for recognized breeds. The questions they ask and their contracts should give you an idea of what to look for in a "new" breed breeder.

There seems to be a rash of new breeds with cutesy names that are essentially mixed breeds. If a breed is in development, there is a standard they are aiming for including the dogs temperament. Check out the various breeders for "Pomskys" and see if there are standards. That is what you should be looking for.

Mutts and purebreds are both susceptible to many conditions. Purebreds have gotten a bad name over the years. Genetics and testing have come a long way in the last 10-20 years. Ethical breeders will not promulgate known defects, they will post their genetic and disease testing results online in known and accepted databases such as https://www.ofa.org/ . Our pup has a genetic disease that testing was not available for when she was born 10 years ago. They are in the early stages of clinical trials that will halt the disorder now. It won't be ready for market by the time she is gone.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7475 posts
4339 upvotes
Edmonton
Have you actually done any research on the "breed", or are you just getting one for the looks? From what I can tell, they look like they might be a challenge for inexperienced owners. Comments like "destructive when bored" pop up, as well as "difficult to train" and "daily brushing"...

I would want to talk to some owners of dogs that a breeder has put out already. Even better if you can talk to ones that own dogs from the same parents you're considering.

C
Banned
Jul 1, 2018
4 posts
information about vaccinations, a pedigree (if there is and if it's important), and if possible find out what kind of character to understand whether it is suitable for your family.
Oct 17, 2007
403 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
The top question that would be on my mind would be to independently verify that the dog breeder is following ethically responsible practices - all other questions follow once that first point is firmly established.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1496 posts
61 upvotes
looks cute during puppy stage but that's where it ends hehe.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery