Shopping Discussion

What to do if an item shipped by an Ebay seller does not arrive (USPS/Canada post)?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2010 7:42 pm
Jan 12, 2007
927 posts
104 upvotes

What to do if an item shipped by an Ebay seller does not arrive (USPS/Canada post)?

Hey guys.

I ordered a Draft-N USB adapter for my WDTV live and the seller shipped it on the 12th with USPS first class international. It was shipped from Russellville, Ky 42276 so I think it should have arrived by now. The buyer has very good feedback so I have no reason to doubt him.

Is there anything I can do to check on the parcel? It was not registered and didn't have a tracking number. Also, assuming that it is lost and irrecoverable, what can I do to get my money back?

Thanks in advance.
15 replies
Jul 27, 2008
137 posts
30 upvotes
I would wait a little longer at this point, I usually give a 2-3 week time period for items coming from the US.

If you don't receive it within the 3 weeks contact the seller he will have to file a claim with USPS.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
FatIndian wrote: Is there anything I can do to check on the parcel?
Just be patient.

The 12th. was a Friday.

The seller may have just done the online USPS processing that day which doesn't mean that it got into the postal system before the weekend.

So, could be 2 days lost there, and as you will see from other related threads, it can often take well over 10 business days to arrive.

If it takes more than, say, 20 business days, you could try asking the seller for the 13 digit number off the 2976 Customs sticker form.

You can then confirm on usps.com the date of mailing.

Canada Post's website no longer supports inquiries on that number for the public, but you may find a helpful/friendly employee to do it.

That would show when it crossed the border into CP's domain.

But I fully expect you to report back here next week that it has finally arrived.
Jan 12, 2007
927 posts
104 upvotes
Thanks guys, that was very helpful.

I contacted the seller and gave him the details and he asked me to let him know if it doesn't arrive within another business week. I'll follow the steps you've outlined if it still doesn't arrive, macnut.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is there a tracking number provided to you by the seller?
There's a sucker born every minute.
Mar 15, 2006
94 posts
8 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I ordered something from the states and 3 weeks later it still hasn't arrived. The personI bought it from returned my money to my paypal account. If it ever shows up I'll transfer the money back to him. I would ask the seller to do the same with you.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1621 posts
392 upvotes
FatIndian wrote: Hey guys.

I ordered a Draft-N USB adapter for my WDTV live and the seller shipped it on the 12th with USPS first class international. It was shipped from Russellville, Ky 42276 so I think it should have arrived by now. The buyer has very good feedback so I have no reason to doubt him.

Is there anything I can do to check on the parcel? It was not registered and didn't have a tracking number. Also, assuming that it is lost and irrecoverable, what can I do to get my money back?

Thanks in advance.
Why do people like you cheap out on shipping? I bet you didn't get shipping insurance either, right? If you requested it shipped non-registered, no tracking number, what did you expect? Next time shell out a little bit more and get a tracking number at least. That in itself is worth the peace of mind seeing where the package is, instead of wondering 'where is it now'?

If it's lost, and you didn't buy shipping insurance, you're SOL.
Jan 12, 2007
927 posts
104 upvotes
Because that's the only option the seller offered?

But thanks for trying, lioncar, take your rage elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
lioncar wrote: Why do people like you cheap out on shipping? I bet you didn't get shipping insurance either, right? If you requested it shipped non-registered, no tracking number, what did you expect? Next time shell out a little bit more and get a tracking number at least. That in itself is worth the peace of mind seeing where the package is, instead of wondering 'where is it now'?

If it's lost, and you didn't buy shipping insurance, you're SOL.
a buyer has all the rights when it comes to disputes, so i am surprised the seller did not require that tracking be included

it still boggles my mind that people have items sent without tracking, especially from the sellers point of view

OP did the seller show you a shipping receipt?? if not how do you really know what day the item was actually shipped from the post office?
if you want to "get your money back" file a claim through ebay
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jan 12, 2007
927 posts
104 upvotes
I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt and wait until a reasonable amount of time passes, especially since he has impeccable feedback.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1621 posts
392 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: a buyer has all the rights when it comes to disputes, so i am surprised the seller did not require that tracking be included

it still boggles my mind that people have items sent without tracking, especially from the sellers point of view

OP did the seller show you a shipping receipt?? if not how do you really know what day the item was actually shipped from the post office?
if you want to "get your money back" file a claim through ebay
Usually the seller (especially the seasoned ones) would inform the buyer that if s/he does not opt for shipping with tracking and/or insurance, the seller is not responsible for any missing/damaged package.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
lioncar wrote: Usually the seller (especially the seasoned ones) would inform the buyer that if s/he does not opt for shipping with tracking and/or insurance, the seller is not responsible for any missing/damaged package.
unfortunately thats not enough for the seller to win a dispute with paypal/ebay
(in my experience anyway)
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Nov 23, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey
first class international USPS is 10-15 business days so you could be waiting until after Easter weekend.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
^

was just gonna say it is usually 10-15 business days. so if it was shipped on friday, maybe not processed until monday then it'll only have been like 9 or 10. i say wait another week.

good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
68 upvotes
Is this another postal bashing thread on how the postal system is so slow??
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
lioncar wrote: Usually the seller (especially the seasoned ones) would inform the buyer that if s/he does not opt for shipping with tracking and/or insurance, the seller is not responsible for any missing/damaged package.
That means absolutely nothing.
You can fill the auction with "SELLER NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST ITEMS" but eBay/PayPal will always believe the buyer unless 1 condition is met. And that condition is that seller must show proof that item was delivered. How does he do it? By having delivery confirmation. No delivery confirmation = buyer gets money back. The seller can force the buyer get insurance, if he wants to. The bottom line is if seller tries to be cheap by offering cheap shipping and undercut other sellers, he will face all responsibility.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)