Home & Garden

What to do if roof shingles get blown away?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2021 10:26 pm
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan
Zamboni wrote: Don't tie the rope thrown over the roof onto your trucks bumper if your wife has a set of keys.
Face With Tears Of JoySmiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Ended up climbing on my roof today and had to replace 16 shingles. About half had completely blown off, the other half were torn or otherwise damaged in some way.

Neighbour told me he called around to fix his roof and they wanted $200 just to come out and inspect. Any repair would be on top of that. Ouch!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
Got mine repaired for 200$ :/ Not a great shingle match though. Guy said its because the ones I have one are heavily faded. I guess its true but looks kinda crap with a darker patch. At least its not going to leak or cause damage I guess.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: I've noticed some of my neighbours are missing shingles since yesterday. Who exactly fixes these? I imagine these jobs are too small for any roofer to care for.
Handymen usually, unless you're missing a lot, then it might be worth an insurance claim. It's incredibly simple to fix a few missing shingles. It's usually not worth it for a busy roofing company, although I'm sure they'll gladly give you an insanely high quote just in case you'll accept it
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote: How much did it end up costing?
I provided the shingles, and I had the nails (at the time, this was a selling point, as we had a shortage). I think it was 3-ish shingles short of 3 bundles, and cost me $200. Took the guy about 5 hours (I had run up on the roof during the storm and hammered down shingles to stop it from tearing large chunks off, apparently making it more of a PITA), and he took the old shingles.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote:
All depends how many to, and time of year, and your age. While I dont expect a grandma to be up on her roof to replace shingles, an able bodied guy should be able to do it, depending on how many. An entire side of the roof, well no. But lets say 6 randoms, why not.
To be honest this is really dumb post. Doesn’t matter if you are “bodied guy”, macho or if you slept with every girl in high school - this has nothing to do with working on the roof. The risk of falling down and getting killed/ injured is enough for some people to hire pro to do the job. By law in Ontario working above 10 ft, you need fall arrest equipment. Some of the new houses are very high with steep roofs, not like your old bungalow, half way sank into the ground.
If you can do it- post your price and help some members out. I’m willing to video tape your brave actions and later post it in youtube for all the wussies here. Show us how it’s done my bodied friend.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Tommy74 wrote: To be honest this is really dumb post. Doesn’t matter if you are “bodied guy”, macho or if you slept with every girl in high school - this has nothing to do with working on the roof. The risk of falling down and getting killed/ injured is enough for some people to hire pro to do the job. By law in Ontario working above 10 ft, you need fall arrest equipment. Some of the new houses are very high with steep roofs, not like your old bungalow, half way sank into the ground.
If you can do it- post your price and help some members out. I’m willing to video tape your brave actions and later post it in youtube for all the wussies here. Show us how it’s done my bodied friend.
Actually reading your post, I can comment back how dumb yours sounds to, because you go off on some random tangent because your pissed off at what? Or is this just the usual GTA attitude?

Thats true, the risk is there for some and dont want to do it. And some dont think the risk is there, and want to get it done and not wait to replace 6 shingles. All depends on the person. I had facia ripped off in a wind one time, and because of the angle and peak of the roof and height and lack of equipment, I had some one do it for me, cost of $200. And since it wasn't a leak issue, I could wait. Other people could do it themselves, I wasnt mad at them, like you are at some random person online?

If I had a 3 story house, I probably wouldn't do it either, but I myself dont, so I do these things myself.

Post my price, why would that matter, look at my location. How can I "help members out" And if my friends or neighbours needed help, I wouldnt charge them, Id help them

And then you go off saying "not like your old bungalow, half way sank into the ground."

Is it the norm for people from the GTA to just spew crap at others, talking out of their ass.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: To be honest this is really dumb post. Doesn’t matter if you are “bodied guy”, macho or if you slept with every girl in high school - this has nothing to do with working on the roof. The risk of falling down and getting killed/ injured is enough for some people to hire pro to do the job. By law in Ontario working above 10 ft, you need fall arrest equipment. Some of the new houses are very high with steep roofs, not like your old bungalow, half way sank into the ground.
When it comes to roofing, being able-bodied is absolutely important. It takes balance and strength to climb a ladder while carrying tools and shingles. Not everyone is physically capable of doing it. For those that are physically capable of doing it, it doesn't take much experience to repair a few shingles. I would say most men could probably do it themselves without much risk of falling off. Now of course that does depend on the slope of the roof. Sometimes a professional is needed
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Shaner wrote: When it comes to roofing, being able-bodied is absolutely important. It takes balance and strength to climb a ladder while carrying tools and shingles. Not everyone is physically capable of doing it.
I was going to mention in my other post, although I think it would fall on deaf ears, is if you do these sort of things yourself, is to tab down the shingles. When I was losing a lot of shingles whoever roofed it before didnt even pull away the plastic off most of the tar. I spent an entire weekend tabbing down any loose tabs with a caulking gun and black strap. Ever since then I rarely lose a shingle.

Can everyone do that, no. Maybe the have steep roofs, or a really tall house, or are afraid of heights. Unfortunatly hiring someone to do that would cost a lot just in time. I think it took me at least 16 hours to finish my house and garage

I am up on my roof multiple times a year, probably because my roof is only maybe 3-4 feet above ground because of my crappy bungalow according to the one user. But only when I have to be.

I check my shingles twice a year with binoculars, and if I see something off, I check it, and then gives me the opportunity to check vent areas, chimneys, etc and if they need patched, etc.
Jul 6, 2008
241 posts
143 upvotes
x1000

Trying to save $200 and fall off a roof because they're not wearing fall protection.
Don't forget you'll still need that $200 to clean your splattered head off the driveway.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
Shaner wrote: When it comes to roofing, being able-bodied is absolutely important. It takes balance and strength to climb a ladder while carrying tools and shingles. Not everyone is physically capable of doing it. For those that are physically capable of doing it, it doesn't take much experience to repair a few shingles. I would say most men could probably do it themselves without much risk of falling off. Now of course that does depend on the slope of the roof. Sometimes a professional is needed
i'm able bodied but I'm in a 3 story house and the pitch is quite steep. the height and the pitch doesn't phase me at all. i just don't have a ladder that high!! :)
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
lovejones11 wrote: x1000

Trying to save $200 and fall off a roof because they're not wearing fall protection.
Don't forget you'll still need that $200 to clean your splattered head off the driveway.
But where do you draw the line on what you can and cant do. People that own and maintain their own travel trailer/fifth wheels, go on the roofs all the time for inspections and repairs. Some even have ladders on them and they are above 10 ft. If you have an issue traveling and are dry camping, you cant just call someone to come repair it.

I have a 12 foot high ceiling in my garage, thats over ten feet, if I need to change a bulb, I call someone?. Some step ladders are over ten feet as well

Eavestrough cleaning, depending in your house, as some put, a crappy bungalow, thats pretty high as well.

Could go on and on. It depends on the person, their risk tolerance, and their knowledge.

I had some shingles blow off on a garden shed last year, its 12 feet. I replaced them myself. Low pitch, no wind out. Wasnt dancing around like an idiot. I kept my ass planted, did the work, had someone hold the ladder as I got up and got down, ladder has the stability arms, etc. The fall if it happened would of been on gravel. Should I of been tied down, maybe. If it was winter time and a tin roof.
Jul 6, 2008
241 posts
143 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: But where do you draw the line on what you can and cant do. People that own and maintain their own travel trailer/fifth wheels, go on the roofs all the time for inspections and repairs. Some even have ladders on them and they are above 10 ft. If you have an issue traveling and are dry camping, you cant just call someone to come repair it.

I have a 12 foot high ceiling in my garage, thats over ten feet, if I need to change a bulb, I call someone?. Some step ladders are over ten feet as well

Eavestrough cleaning, depending in your house, as some put, a crappy bungalow, thats pretty high as well.

Could go on and on. It depends on the person, their risk tolerance, and their knowledge.

I had some shingles blow off on a garden shed last year, its 12 feet. I replaced them myself. Low pitch, no wind out. Wasnt dancing around like an idiot. I kept my ass planted, did the work, had someone hold the ladder as I got up and got down, ladder has the stability arms, etc. The fall if it happened would of been on gravel. Should I of been tied down, maybe. If it was winter time and a tin roof.
There's a difference between 10 feet and 2 1/2 stories.
Anyone going up that high without properly used fall protection is going to win a Darwin award.
Just a matter of time.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
lovejones11 wrote: There's a difference between 10 feet and 2 1/2 stories.
Anyone going up that high without properly used fall protection is going to win a Darwin award.
Just a matter of time.
Thats true, but the one poster said "By law in Ontario working above 10 ft, you need fall arrest equipment."

People vaulted ceiling inside their house are above that. With the above does that mean every home over that has to do work over 10 feet should hire someone to do the thing for them.

If I have a 2 story above ground house, I probably wouldnt either. But I dont own a house like that.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1634 posts
665 upvotes
If a few shingles are blown away due to strong wind, most likely your existing shingles are old and curled up hence may need to be replaced in near future. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I contacted my insurance company and they sent their prefer roofing company for inspection. The greedy roofing company gave my insurance company a quote to replace only one side of the roof for $6K. I negotiated with my insurance company to pay me the $6K and got my entire roof done by my prefer roofing company with the upgraded materials for $10K. Since then, my insurance has gone up about $100 per year.

Instead of guessing, call your insurance to find out what they can do for you.
😃
Jul 6, 2008
241 posts
143 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Thats true, but the one poster said "By law in Ontario working above 10 ft, you need fall arrest equipment."

People vaulted ceiling inside their house are above that. With the above does that mean every home over that has to do work over 10 feet should hire someone to do the thing for them.

If I have a 2 story above ground house, I probably wouldnt either. But I dont own a house like that.
I think that poster is speaking to OHS regs for employees.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
lovejones11 wrote: I think that poster is speaking to OHS regs for employees.
Maybe, that poster also went off the rails and started saying what they said, for what reason?

When the time comes to replace my roof, I wont be doing it. But I will continue to maintain and repair as I have the last 10 years,
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
bose wrote: If a few shingles are blown away due to strong wind, most likely your existing shingles are old and curled up hence may need to be replaced in near future. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I contacted my insurance company and they sent their prefer roofing company for inspection. The greedy roofing company gave my insurance company a quote to replace only one side of the roof for $6K. I negotiated with my insurance company to pay me the $6K and got my entire roof done by my prefer roofing company with the upgraded materials for $10K. Since then, my insurance has gone up about $100 per year.

Instead of guessing, call your insurance to find out what they can do for you.
Or they also may have not been tarred down correctly, as in the plastic piece that comes off the tar wasnt removed. Ive seen new shingles have this happen that were installed for a month, next wind storm, same thing happens
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1634 posts
665 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Or they also may have not been tarred down correctly, as in the plastic piece that comes off the tar wasnt removed. Ive seen new shingles have this happen that were installed for a month, next wind storm, same thing happens
Of course depending on the age of the shingles. Mine was 10-year-old builder standard shingles when that happened.
😃

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)