Careers

What to do if your performance assessor cannot substantiate his negative feed backs?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2014 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Globemaster wrote: I think he was set up as a fall guy for crimes he had no part in. "Audit trail" of hard evidence won't matter, either.

He is expendable for saving someone else's career and whatnot. Nothing will save him.

On the other hand, a few replies back, someone is belittling him and renouncing him as a bad subordinate, not respecting the chain of command, not accepting his fate to be the patsy/scapegoat, take one for the team. It is classic.
Thank you. I totally agree with you. I am laid back, a hard worker, usually committed and loyal but right now just defending myself so that I get a fair exit package.
-----
If I can just reinforce to the Chief Auditor why 360 feedback is important, may he can put that back in place. If I can leave a slightly bettered work environment, I'm all for it, for the sake of some good colleagues. I'm sure he wants a well-oiled machine with managers and senior managers working smartly and hard along with Senior Auditors and Auditors.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
WannaBe wrote: Yup; see:
http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/19/sociop ... -evil.html
"Sociopaths lie with impunity, cast blame where it does not belong, humiliate and berate their direct reports or colleagues. They set up coworkers, betray confidences and undercut good work because it is a threat to them.... He may target one or two individuals, or start playing team members against once another."

There are, of course, degrees of this type of behavior. But it generally consists of a lack of empathy...
I don't even want a promotion during my earlier days as I know a real empathetic manager in an audit department at a bank will have a hard time convincing people to stay and work longer hours. If I was manager, I would censure/lecture my staff behind close doors and not even write negative comments on their performance if I didn't have to (of course some people will take advantage and those are the ones that deserve negative remarks). Then, I would surely gain some loyalty from them.

Empathy is that one soft skill that no one ever puts in the top ten list. If people were empathetic, there won't be any toxic work places as other people's needs are put above one's own. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
It may be pure folly hanging around waiting for what you believe to be a "good package". At the end of the day, they may just put you on working notice and force your hand or pay the required legislated minimum pay in lieu of notice. In absence of something you believe to be more appropriate, you'd maybe then need to go down the road of getting a lawyer.

Sounds like this is not a place you're going to be working for very long one way or another. In the interim, hanging in for the "package", your outlook and health will deteriorate. This is not a healthy environment and I would suggest, as you did in one of your last posts, being proactive in finding something else and getting the hell out on your own terms.

BTW, the plural of "feedback" is "feedback".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Thank you. I totally agree with you. I am laid back, a hard worker, usually committed and loyal but right now just defending myself so that I get a fair exit package.
-----
If I can just reinforce to the Chief Auditor why 360 feedback is important, may he can put that back in place. If I can leave a slightly bettered work environment, I'm all for it, for the sake of some good colleagues. I'm sure he wants a well-oiled machine with managers and senior managers working smartly and hard along with Senior Auditors and Auditors.
Since you gave a more detailed description of the situation and the types of comments that were put on your performance review...I am totally on your side. I also tend to be laid back and open-minded until someone takes a swipe at me or crosses certain principles of mine. Then he/she is fair game.

It seems that your days are numbered no matter what you do at this point. In this situation, not only would I defend myself, I would systematically (and professionally :) ) ream this manager out, and list all their deficiencies, oversights, mistakes right back. His superiors may not choose to act on it (or perhaps not right away), but if this manager does the same to someone else, the truth may eventually take hold. At least teach him a lesson that he can't make a scapegoat out of someone without the possibility of return-fire.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: BTW, the plural of "feedback" is "feedback".
Haha, I thought the same but didn't want to point it out here in case it sounded rude. On that note, the plural of "evidence" is also "evidence". ;)
Banned
Jul 3, 2013
1508 posts
300 upvotes
The writing is on the wall. They're just not that into you.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: It may be pure folly hanging around waiting for what you believe to be a "good package". At the end of the day, they may just put you on working notice and force your hand or pay the required legislated minimum pay in lieu of notice. In absence of something you believe to be more appropriate, you'd maybe then need to go down the road of getting a lawyer.

Sounds like this is not a place you're going to be working for very long one way or another. In the interim, hanging in for the "package", your outlook and health will deteriorate. This is not a healthy environment and I would suggest, as you did in one of your last posts, being proactive in finding something else and getting the hell out on your own terms.

BTW, the plural of "feedback" is "feedback".
Thanks for the tip on the plural form of feedback, no wonder I was getting those red squiggly lines, haha.

I will definitely get a package because if they don't, I will sue them. I've done my readings on in common law on RFD, 4 weeks per year of service is very common. I have made this clear to my performance manager so he knows I'm not an ignoramus.

I'm not hanging out to get a package, I just have to finish a few important errands and will update my resume and linkedin profile. I'm not a masochist but of course I welcome the decent income.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
421 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alanbrenton wrote: This is not even a big accounting firm. This is an internal audit division at one of the big banks. I thought people would be better but it turns out some of these people have the same personality and ethics, actually worst. At the big 4, feed backs were more positive, except from one senior manager had to run away from. :)

I am not very ambitious so to me, a nice collegiate environment would be better that one where prospects are better but is toxic. I need to find another job first before I tender in my resignation. In the meantime, I am just defending myself from these baseless comments as I don't want to be seen as incompetent or a bad worker, when I'm not.
Which bank? Internal audit division, can you transfer to another department within the bank?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
peanutz wrote: Since you gave a more detailed description of the situation and the types of comments that were put on your performance review...I am totally on your side. I also tend to be laid back and open-minded until someone takes a swipe at me or crosses certain principles of mine. Then he/she is fair game.

It seems that your days are numbered no matter what you do at this point. In this situation, not only would I defend myself, I would systematically (and professionally :) ) ream this manager out, and list all their deficiencies, oversights, mistakes right back. His superiors may not choose to act on it (or perhaps not right away), but if this manager does the same to someone else, the truth may eventually take hold. At least teach him a lesson that he can't make a scapegoat out of someone without the possibility of return-fire.
I tried that and they gave the previous manager a slap on the wrist. I even asked last week why I got the worst rating while the manager overseeing that audit did not get the same rating, when he, in fact, was the reason for a lot of the blunders (reviewing the files one month after, being indecisive when coming with test approaches, having asked me to test something that later on he said should have been excluded, yada yada).

I'll definitely try to communicate toxicity of my work environment to the Chief Auditor and see if there is anything that can be done. Not betting on anything good to come out though. :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Globemaster wrote: Which bank? Internal audit division, can you transfer to another department within the bank?
Tada. I will see if I can get transferred but likely not because of the unfavorable rating they slapped on me. Should have gotten into the Wealth Management audit group instead when I had concurrent parallel interviews in 2011.
May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Tada. I will see if I can get transferred but likely not because of the unfavorable rating they slapped on me. Should have gotten into the Wealth Management audit group instead when I had concurrent parallel interviews in 2011.
I'm not so sure it is a good idea to be sharing so many details about yourself. It's pretty easy for me to "google fu" you, and so I presume future employers will be able to do the same. Maybe change your RFD name?

With regards to the issue at hand.... Even though you may be right, I don't know if standing and fighting is in your best interests. It's a small world out there -- only 5 big banks. If the situation becomes very nasty, you will be blackballed.

It may be more prudent to keep a low profile, and transfer out. After all, given what you have described, it does not look like you are on the winning end of this situation. Internal politics is a b*tch. You will likely take this advice to be "chickening out". It isn't. Lose the battle, but win the war. If you go ballistic in this situation, you will lose the battle and the war.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)