Personal Finance

What to do with pennies, nickels, and dimes?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 10:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver

What to do with pennies, nickels, and dimes?

I have around a 10lb jar I keep all my change in, I hate using coins so they've just been getting thrown in the jar. I have a ton of nickels and dimes, there's probably at least 20 bucks worth of coins in that jar, really not sure what to do with them.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: I have around a 10lb jar I keep all my change in, I hate using coins so they've just been getting thrown in the jar. I have a ton of nickels and dimes, there's probably at least 20 bucks worth of coins in that jar, really not sure what to do with them.
You can take them to the bank branch and exchange to paper bills or deposit them into your bank acct.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2012
1092 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
Roll them up and bring them to the bank to deposit into your account.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
hamandcheese wrote: Roll them up and bring them to the bank to deposit into your account.
+1

The bank won't take that much loose coin.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19725 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
You can take them to Safeway, they have machines that will take loose coins and exchange for cash, for a 12% fee. Vancity Commercial/1st also has machines that will do the same thing, for no fee.

Coins used to be useful things when they are proportionally sized to their value. Now that have lost 95% of their value but still are all the same size. They're now way too big for the the tiny values they represent. A $1 coin should be no larger than a nickel, really.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1578 upvotes
Etobicoke
I have rolled them before...got about $470. It is not worth rolling pennies. Just take them to the change machines at the supermarket. They charge about 9.8%, but it is worth it for pennies.
TD or RBC used to have no charge change sorting machines at some branches, but this was 5 years or more ago, not sure they still do.

Kiraly beat me to it, by 3 minutes
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, i'll see if my local safeway has one of those machines, I don't think they do.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
SquirreI wrote: Thanks, i'll see if my local safeway has one of those machines, I don't think they do.
You might as well go to a self checkout and not pay any fee, you'll get better value for money and the likelihood of the machine miscounting the coins is about the same.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Donate it to a charity and help make a difference ... the Salvation Army Christmas kettles comes to mind.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
xxxray wrote: I have rolled them before...got about $470. It is not worth rolling pennies. Just take them to the change machines at the supermarket. They charge about 9.8%, but it is worth it for pennies.
TD or RBC used to have no charge change sorting machines at some branches, but this was 5 years or more ago, not sure they still do.

Kiraly beat me to it, by 3 minutes
They still take 1¢ coins?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: Thanks, i'll see if my local safeway has one of those machines, I don't think they do.
Coinstar is one brand of machine - you can search their website for a location near you:
https://www.coinstar.ca/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)