Investing

What do Tangerine unit prices actually mean?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 1:27 am
Jan 4, 2017
46 posts
19 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:17 am
My wife currently has 3.25% from Jan 4-Apr 4.
Will move money back to EQ before Apr 3 and see what the next promo rates they offer both of us are (or stay at EQ for 2%).

Beats the heck out of near-0% or actual 0% at the broker.
Is this with Tangerine? What I see in mine is "You're earning a special rate! From Jan 05, 2017 to Mar 31, 2017, your interest rate on up to $500,000 in your Tangerine Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Account(s) is 2.19%. (This Offer applies only where you're the primary Account holder)." , so is this just me being too peasantly (ie, less than $500k) or are others doing something differently to get better promo rates, or..?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
7275 posts
2503 upvotes
BC
zcypher wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:46 pm
Is it really worth the trouble to have multiple accounts (ie, EQ, PCF, TNG, others) to juggle the money between each respective one's promo periods? I'm having a hard time imagining that being worthwhile, but maybe I'm just too peasantly. haha
Someone could ask the same question about investing. Is it really worth the the trouble?

The trouble to avoid 2+% MERs?
The trouble to do ETFs instead of ~1% Tangerine?
The trouble to pick 0.10% MER ETFs vs 0.50% MER ETFs?
The trouble to pick stocks?

Depends on the individual.

HISAs are free to open, free to transfer between, and guaranteed return.

Depends on how much cash you have. If you have a sizeable portfolio and maintain 5-10% cash you are going to make 2-3.25% more on your cash vs the brokerage which is 0.20-0.325% more return on your portfolio (for 10% cash position vs 0% interest at the broker).

As a percentage of the other 90% of your portfolio that's 0.22% to 0.36%.

If you would sweat that type of difference on MERs on that 90% I would think it is fair for you to sweat the equivalent on your cash.

If you don't then you shouldn't.

Or if you have 0% cash position.
POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel