Beauty & Wellness

What do u think about Alicia Keys's no-makeup movement?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 9:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver

What do u think about Alicia Keys's no-makeup movement?

http://www.mtv.com/news/2888018/alicia- ... tos-essay/

Earlier this year, Alicia Keys decided she doesn't want to have to wear makeup. I notice millenials and highschool kids are laying on the makeup heavy these days, with the Cara delavigne-style filled-in eyebrows, fake lashes, orange tanner, etc. Do u think going makeup-less will put you at a disadvantage socially? Do u care if someone has pimples (without concealer) on their face?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
It'll never catch on.

A) The social media generation values looks a lot more than previous ones. They place a heavy emphasis on it and are always really made up.

B) Women are straight up vicious when it comes to looks. Guys get judged harshly by them if they're not good looking, but women have literally been driven to suicide by other women judging their appearance. Alicia Keys is rich, famous, and naturally good looking. A lot of women are none of those things. Women have been meaner to other women than any man has since the dawn of time, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

C) Everyone cheats when given the chance. Even if everyone stopped wearing makeup tomorrow and nobody batted an eye about it, people always search for a leg up on the competition. Nobody forces women to wear makeup today, but they all want to look better than the next girl so they do it. Even if this movement catches on and thousands of women everywhere claim to not be wearing makeup, I'm willing to bet if you look in their bedrooms/bathrooms you'll just see they're using natural look makeup instead of the more overt stuff.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
I didn't know it was a movement, thought it was just her choice. Means living with a lot less hassle, that's for sure.
She is blessed with good genes.

I actually have been surprized that the current 20-somethings are laying on the makeup and fakery so heavily, considering lots of them promote healthy living/eating, organic/natural, etc.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Saw Alicia Keys on the ACM Honors show this week, and she is still going for that natural look! It sure makes her look young!

I would say that this no-makeup thing is a movement that was originally started by Oprah when Oprah showed everyone her face before makeup. I guess it was a shock to everyone because she looked so different. Occasionally, you will see celebs post pics of themselves without makeup on Instagram or something. But Alicia Keys is probably the only celeb right now that is doing it all the time.

Personally, I don't really wear makeup.
Apr 17, 2013
782 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
As stated, Alicia keys is naturally beautiful. To answer your question, it will not "catch on".

I'm going to agree with Piro21. This generation is Obsessed, dare I say narcissistic with looks. All over youtube and instagram, I see these lame make up tutorials packing up pounds of makeup. I don't really have an issue with makeup as long as it doesn't make the lady look completely different.

When I used to work downtown, I would pass by the bay everyday to work. I would see these girls working in the makeup section and wonder. What they really look like under all that makeup

I don't really care of people have pimples on their face. No one has perfect skin. Hell I'm 34 and I still get pimples
PSN - Meditech82
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Well, guys aren't all naturally beautiful, but they aren't resorting to wearing makeup.
Sep 19, 2016
16 posts
3 upvotes
Leask
I like her! I think natural beaty is always better than the best make-up.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Makeup makes a huge difference in how I look. I am basically colourless without it (not albino, just colourless). I use a fair bit of high end product all to obtain a natural look. Many cosmeticians try and sell me their lightest tinted moisturizer when I in fact where a full coverage, oil based foundation.

I have no issues with people who do not wear makeup. It is their choice. I do though take issue with those who do not wear makeup yet criticize the fact that I do.

When it comes to men, well many men want a woman with perfect skin and natural beauty, whereas many women are more interested in intellect.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The societal norm is that women need to wear makeup in order to look presentable. Women who wear makeup are perpetuating the status quo. Thus, every woman who wears makeup has an indirect effect on the perception of women who do not wear makeup.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10038 posts
906 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
AK looks old on The Voice. Thought somethin happened to her face... Ahhh she doesnt wear makeup. So that's it, lol. Always looks like she just woke up in the morning.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2307 posts
147 upvotes
Meditech82 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2016 11:06 pm
When I used to work downtown, I would pass by the bay everyday to work. I would see these girls working in the makeup section and wonder. What they really look like under all that makeup
Well, here's your answer

Oct 6, 2015
807 posts
411 upvotes
I haven't paid attention to it, but I know many girls/women who, quite frankly, look better natural than they do with the make-up. But you can never tell them such, because the kinds of people who wear makeup to excess also tend to have body image issues.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
OMG, on CTV's W5 story this week on animal testing in Canada, they said a bunch of the testing is for cosmetics!!?!??? Astonished Face
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 11:14 pm
OMG, on CTV's W5 story this week on animal testing in Canada, they said a bunch of the testing is for cosmetics!!?!??? Astonished Face
They've tested cosmetics and personal care products and drugs on animals for ages. Nothing new. Some products indicate on their packaging that they weren't tested on animals, if that's something that you're against.