What to do When Your Gmail Account is Full

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 10:39 am
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17844 posts
2462 upvotes
Langley
Pay $20 per year for 100gb. Zero work, everything in one place. I pay $100 for 1tb and have all my pictures and videos stored.

Even if you back up to a DVD or flash drive, they could still be lost in a fire, theft, flood or move. Online backups are best.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11729 posts
1410 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
retrothing wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 11:03 am
Install an email client like Thunderbird on your PC and download your messages. You can then archive them with a tool like Mozbackup and keep a copy on a portable drive.
For archiving + backup purposes, you may opt to use Thunderbird Portable. That way, you can just copy the entire directory, and you're set :) .

Regarding local backups being lost due to flooding, I've had a flash drive go through the washer and dryer, and it still works fine. The only harm done to it was that the plastic housing was a bit looser than originally (like where the metal USB plug gets wrapped around the plastic is a bit loose). And unless the DVD R is sitting underwater for a long time, it should still be good. And really, if my house got flooded, it would suck to lose a bunch of old emails, but I would have other things to worry about.

Regarding theft, who is going to steal a bunch of DVD Rs?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2233 posts
204 upvotes
North York
i6s1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 3:56 pm
. Online backups are best.
You are still dependant on them continuing to offer the service though (and not silently delete things - looking at you yahoo), so online isn't foolproof.

Especially so when you consider googles track record of killing products over the years.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8277 posts
533 upvotes
Just an update. It has been weeks, I assume the transfer process is complete. However, I notice my original gmail account size is 16.86 GB with 77,000 emails in the inbox where the new backup gmail account size 12.47 GB with only 6800 emails in the inbox. I wonder why there is a huge difference in number of emails.

I know most of my emails in the inbox could be deleted, but I just don't want to delete them all and there is no way I can check one by one. How can I sort and delete the emails by size ?

This is my main email account that I have been using for over a decade and I don't want to lose emails/service from it........

Thanks for any advice.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
What's so important about your emails that you need to save so many? If they're really that important then why don't you make local backups using POP3 or something?
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 4:02 pm
Another 100 GB storage is $2.79 per month.
This here is your answer, OP.

/thread.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
i6s1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 3:56 pm
Pay $20 per year for 100gb. Zero work, everything in one place. I pay $100 for 1tb and have all my pictures and videos stored.

Even if you back up to a DVD or flash drive, they could still be lost in a fire, theft, flood or move. Online backups are best.
Online backup updated instantly
Local backup updated every month
off-site backup updated every 6 months

How can you go wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1492 upvotes
Montreal
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 6:37 pm
Online backup updated instantly
Local backup updated every month
off-site backup updated every 6 months

How can you go wrong?
you said it in your setup. you could easily lose 6 months worth of stuff at any given time...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3651 posts
1094 upvotes
Parry Sound
neverhaveiever wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 7:23 am
you said it in your setup. you could easily lose 6 months worth of stuff at any given time...
You're right.

Online, local, and off-site backups every day.

No. Every hour.

NO! EVERY MINUTE!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1492 upvotes
Montreal
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 10:28 am
You're right.

Online, local, and off-site backups every day.

No. Every hour.

NO! EVERY MINUTE!
one can dream :D
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5171 posts
895 upvotes
Montreal
Every Minute is pretty much possible with a program like Genie Timeline.
Phils