• Apr 19th, 2012 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1298 posts
432 upvotes

what do you buy online?

online shopping does not appeal to me...The shipping cost / time... broker fees... online security... damaged in transit / warranty issues... and lack of the ability to see and feel the item turn me off bigtime...

what are some recent purchases you have made? and what has been the benefit?
32 replies
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
A laptop, lingerie, glasses, wallets, bags, motorcycle gear, memory cards, books, custom made jewellery, cellphones, pretty much anything except groceries.

Many of the things are purchases from Canadian sellers so no brokerage. Shipping is free most of the time. For some items it's the convenience of shopping in the middle of night from home or during the day without leaving the office. Other times it's just incredibly cheaper to get it online. Yet others, it's just a one of a kind purchase that I would not be able to find locally (like things from etsy.com).

I have received probably over 100 packages over the years and I have rarely had any issues with damage or lost packages. If they happen, they have always been resolved to my satisfaction - every single time.

You can get duped into buying junk locally too, shop smart and you will not get into any more trouble than you normally do.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
209 upvotes
Just received
Computer parts (cheaper than local and no one carried the certain adapter locally)
Case for cellphones (no need to pay $40 bucks for a piece of plastic or rubber when online is $4+shipping)
Toys (cheaper than local and not the toys r us kind)
Movies (cheaper than locally)

Most of the time items I order online are because its cheaper than buying locally.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
i buy everything online except grocery. i usually stick to company that has store returns (or hassle free returns) unless the thing i'm buying is dirty cheap and that i'm saving a lot on the original (or local) price. other times, i'm going to look at their retail store and make the purchase online because they have my size, the color i want or it's just cheaper even with shipping fee
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote: haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Last few orders

Computer Parts
24 Inch Monitor
Leather Jacket
Sneakers
Socks
Pants
Shirts
BluRays
Video Games
Hat
Battery Grip
Lenses
Playing cards

Basically everything except food. The benefit is I like in a smaller city, shopping online gives me access to products I may not normally have direct access to.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
460 upvotes
Guelph
I'm a very impatient person so prompt shipping and fast delivery is crucial for me. If they don't promise to ship within 24 hrs I won't bother. Oh and I avoid UPS options like the plague. Their skewed and screwed up brokerage rape I mean fees is ridiculous. So with that said, other than perishable items I'll buy anything online. They're usually always so much cheaper than in stores locally.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
I buy all my PC stuff online because of more selection and save PST since I'm in Quebec. Also order Russian brides and those who don't perform well I send them back where they came from.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Computer/electronic parts, clothing (can only get tall sizes online from most places I shop) and books. All free shipping. Convenience (don't have to worry about store having stock or bother with calling and reserving all the stuff I need). In the case of Amazon.ca, they are almost always cheaper than buying in store, except if by chance Walmart has the book I'm looking for, in which case it's usually about the same price (30% off cover)

Broker fees only apply to over-the-border shipping. At least from what I've found, even then if you get it shipped by USPS you don't have to worry about it.

I do agree that it can sometimes suck not being able to pick up and check out the actual item you'll be purchasing, but it's never been a problem for me. Most places I order from online have in-store returns anyways. Or in the case of Amazon, superb customer service to facilitate replacements.
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
Almost everything except food or incidental items that I need right away. I see the lady at the post office often enough that we should probably start declaring common law status on our tax returns.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
i hate long lines in stores so it bypasses all that, and since all the video rental places closed down i have found it's better to buy it online (way cheaper and in abundance) plus if you look in the right places you can get free shipping. i stick to the blu ray/dvd/videogames from amazon, and the odd article of clothing from ebay (not anymore once my last package arrives, too many people taking payment and refusing to ship item or refunding your payment because they are bitter it ended at a low low price).

plus i don't want to spend my days off or having to tough the crowds when i could be doing other more enjoyable things with time.

it's just more convenient IMHO....
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
I buy everything online. Clothes, shoes, glasses, electronics, etc, etc, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
Like the rest of the posters, just about everything but food. In the last 6 months I've ordered books, blurays, clothing, shoes, eyeglasses, contact lens, e-readers, headset, bath salts, a purse, airline tickets, hotel bookings, meat grinder, BBQ parts and a corkscrew. Living close to the border I have anything I order from the US delivered to a mail drop in Point Roberts WA and then drive a cross to pick up (and fill up with cheap gas)
Dec 11, 2007
46 posts
2 upvotes
My latest cellphone, movies, stroller as a gift, shaver, many other things I am forgetting :)

It's all the better when shipping is free or I can use some discount codes.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
I'm a hermit in the winter, so I buy most things my wife doesn't pick up online. Things that are likely to get damages in transit, I forgo till spring, summer and fall. I've just started using eBay again after eight years away...I'm sure to let you know how that goes.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1298 posts
1125 upvotes
I'll only buy online if it's cheaper, or can't be found in stores. It can be hassle to wait shipping, but it's often worth it.

I've often bought cheap electronics, cell phone protectors, cases, covers, chargers, usb, etc
You can get a cover for 2 bucks while the store charges 10

I like buying handmade goods on Etsy, some bath and beauty products people make from home such as soaps, usually much cheaper. Stores can charge 5-7$ for a bar of fancy cold process soap variety (like Lush)

I collect Uglydolls and they're hard to find in any store here so I get them from Ebay.

I buy some clothing or shoes too, I may see them in stores and try it on to make sure it fits then buy it online for much cheaper.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Clothes, videogames, cellphones, comics and magazines.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 25, 2009
139 posts
4 upvotes
Sunshine Coast BC
I buy tons of stuff online - when the biggest store in town is Walmart, your choices are somewhat limited! :razz: In the past couple of months I've purchased a macbook, ipad, router, hard drive, clothes, books, photography equipment and various knic knacs. (Love tax return time.)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
How do you guys buy clothing online? Sure if it's something like a sweatshirt or basic pullover tshirts it's not hard to choose your size s/m/l/xl and online would probably work fine. But for anything else i want clothing that actually fits me. Try on "medium" button down shirt in 10 different stores and they all fit differently. And pants are even worse. A 32" waste pair of pants can be +/- 5 inches, not to mention the way the rest of it fits.

I'm genuinely curious.