Careers

What do you do and how much do you make?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 10:20 pm
Mar 4, 2010
410 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:34 am
I'm still trying to figure out how controllers are only getting paid 90k. A lot of senior accountants I know already make 80k or 75k+bonus. Is this a really small company?
Theres different factors that are involved. 90k is my PAY. i'm an undesignated controller who have a lot of other side perks that does not going into cash compensation. Shares, tuition coverage, extra time off, executive benefits.

It also depends on the size and industry. if I was one of 50 controllers at lets say bell/rogers, then yes, i'm underpaid for sure. As Helloworld3 said, I am also being compensated with education. To move from a controller > CFO is a big step in which i'm being groomed for. The education and training i'm receiving is a factor of roughly 10-30k depending on how you view it. C-Suite in my company make between 180k-500k.

Nothing is ever black and white
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2334 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
djfunk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:03 pm
Theres different factors that are involved. 90k is my PAY. i'm an undesignated controller who have a lot of other side perks that does not going into cash compensation. Shares, tuition coverage, extra time off, executive benefits.

It also depends on the size and industry. if I was one of 50 controllers at lets say bell/rogers, then yes, i'm underpaid for sure. As Helloworld3 said, I am also being compensated with education. To move from a controller > CFO is a big step in which i'm being groomed for. The education and training i'm receiving is a factor of roughly 10-30k depending on how you view it. C-Suite in my company make between 180k-500k.

So basically, it's a junior controller role. Now I get it.
Mar 4, 2010
410 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:08 pm
So basically, it's a junior controller role. Now I get it.
Fair enough, call it however you would like to... I was promoted to this position from assistant controller very recently. If you think its Junior random internet stranger, so be it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2334 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
djfunk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:09 pm
Fair enough, call it however you would like to... I was promoted to this position from assistant controller very recently. If you think its Junior random internet stranger, so be it.
I'm not belittling you.....I was just curious because I thought controllers (controllers from my mid-sized companies) should be paid more. I want to congratulate you for your progression to controllership. The fact that I said controller should be paid more works in your favor because it just means you have more potential for growth.

Btw, isn't it mandatory for controllers to have a CPA?
Jul 1, 2017
174 posts
90 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:41 pm
I'm not belittling you.....I was just curious because I thought controllers (controllers from my mid-sized companies) should be paid more. I want to congratulate you for your progression to controllership. The fact that I said controller should be paid more works in your favor because it just means you have more potential for growth.

If you call senior leadership junior, than, call it whatever you want.

The market is very competitive; +125k seasoned controllers are competing for these +90k roles just to stay employed.
Mar 4, 2010
410 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:41 pm

LOL, no hard feelings here. Controller roles can range even down to the 50's but it depends on experience and what the role actually entails. I've seen job posting in my past for controller for 50's 60's etc and didnt give them a second look. I have declined a salary increase because there are other benefits provided to me by my company that I wouldn't receive elsewhere or that they were limited but i was given exception. If those were included i'd probably be closer to 120-130.

From my knowledge there is no law about a controller or even a CFO must possess a CPA. It's generally a rule of thumb that at least the CFO does. In my case i have about 12 years of experience in accounting (i'm 33) to justify my ability to manage at this level. The next leg up to be a CFO is a big jump of which i will need to obtain CPA.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1076 posts
289 upvotes
Senior IT Analyst - roughly $112k + 20% bonus.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
21 posts
1 upvote
eblend wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:22 pm
Senior IT Analyst - roughly $112k + 20% bonus.
That's ridiculously high. What kind of IT work are you doing???!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2832 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Holystone wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:11 pm
At the end of the day, your pay Money Bag like your age is just a number. All that matters is what you are getting out of your life and how much you are enjoying it.
Money can't buy happiness.........but it lets me buy the things that make me happySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1188 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
mtmp4k wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:23 am
They are an IT analyst. There are lots of IT jobs that pay that or more.
Jan 27, 2015
45 posts
11 upvotes
Georgina
100K - 150K as an Automotive Finance Manager at my current location, could make even more or less depending where I was to work
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
21 posts
1 upvote
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:38 am
They are an IT analyst. There are lots of IT jobs that pay that or more.
IT Analyst is pretty vague
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1076 posts
289 upvotes
mtmp4k wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:23 am
Senior Infrastructure Analyst - Do everything from storage frames, to Cisco networking, VMware, Hyper-V, the whole 9 yards. All around IT guy.
Feb 19, 2017
176 posts
70 upvotes
djfunk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:03 pm

180-500K? That's a HUGE range.
Are you basically saying you don't know how much they make or is the difference between the CEO and CFO (usually the least valued of the c-suite) that large?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)