Shopping Discussion

What do you do with your Aeroplan miles?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 12:03 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: What do you do with your Aeroplan miles?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1308 posts
404 upvotes
Canada

What do you do with your Aeroplan miles?

Per title... multiple choice allowed :)
10 options available online

Redeem for Flights
Redeem for Hotel stays
Redeem for Car Rentals
Redeem for Physical Merchandise
Redeem for [rfdlink=17]AMEX[/rfdlink] Aeroplan Cards ($100 value card for specific type of merchants, ie. Dining/Entertainment/Fashion, etc)
Redeem for Other Gift Cards (BR, [rfdlink=111]HBC[/rfdlink], HMV, etc)
Share/Transfer miles to Friends/Family
Exchange on Points.com
Donate
Let them Expire
21 replies
Mar 12, 2008
985 posts
19 upvotes
I have Air Miles, but typically with these cards the best value is to redeem the points for flying. I think giftcards are supposed to be the poorest value i.e. bad points to dollar ratio.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4224 posts
856 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly at the rate I collect Aeroplan miles it would take me forever to save up 15,000 for a flight - to where? Toronto? I can drive there!

The only place I fly is out west and now I take WestJet. Bell used to give miles but not anymore. So I'm scraping enough to just redeem them for a gift card and then I'll probably forget my membership.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1507 posts
33 upvotes
My wife an I both fly alot for work. We earn tons of Aeroplan miles, and redeem them for flights.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1830 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
LordofthePing wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 7:43 pm
I have Air Miles, but typically with these cards the best value is to redeem the points for flying. I think giftcards are supposed to be the poorest value i.e. bad points to dollar ratio.
I don't know. I want to redeem my aeroplan miles before they expire and because I got an email about redeeming 10,000 miles (or something) and getting 1,000 miles afterwards by August 31... though I can't really find this info on the website.

In any case, I noticed an iPod touch 8gb was 44,500 Miles whereas to get $300 worth of Futureshop GC to buy the same item, it was less miles than that (exact number alludes me right now).

So I am not sure what exactly is good to redeem.

EDIT: $350 worth of FS gift cards = 43,500 Miles. And an iPod touch is about $316 tax included. It would be ridiculous to trade in miles for the product rather than use gift cards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1308 posts
404 upvotes
Canada
rockthecasbah wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 8:29 pm
I don't know. I want to redeem my aeroplan points before they expire and because I got an email about redeeming 10,000 points (or something) and getting 1,000 points afterwards by August 31... though I can't really find this info on the website.

In any case, I noticed an iPod touch 8gb was like 44,000 points whereas to get $300 worth of Futureshop GC to buy the same item, it was less points than that (exact number alludes me right now).

So I am not sure what exactly is good to redeem.
I was in the same boat as you were 2 weeks ago - my points were due to expire to I used points.com to add more miles but then I realized since I won't be flying in the next 12 months and the miles will expire once again, I just redeemed for a gift card and it arrived in less than 10 days!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
275 upvotes
it'll take me forever to get a flight...so i go for the merchandises
MacGyver wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 7:50 pm
So I'm scraping enough to just redeem them for a gift card and then I'll probably forget my membership.
their reward is getting more and more stingy...before you could redeem gift cards for under 10,000 and now everything under 10,000 miles sucks really bad
cahk wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 8:36 pm
I just redeemed for a gift card and it arrived in less than 10 days!
you should just buy a tropicana, propel, or quaker product to enter 10 miles to keep the account active....
;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1308 posts
404 upvotes
Canada
molala wrote:
Aug 12th, 2008 9:35 pm
you should just buy a tropicana, propel, or quaker product to enter 10 miles to keep the account active....
It's true that it works - however, I only fly international so adding 10 miles one at a time won't get me any closer, so I might as well get the gc while it is still being offered (who knows when they will decide to up the pts req again)
Feb 1, 2008
716 posts
16 upvotes
i find that it's really hard to redeem anything with aeroplan points unless you travel a lot. I just got the letter telling me it's expiring soon, but looking at their selection.. i seriously dont have much to choose from when it comes to redeeming something. Probably just let it expire... it's not like i'll fly Air Canada that much anyway compared to WestJet or some other US airline.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1308 posts
404 upvotes
Canada
dubjk wrote:
Aug 17th, 2008 12:31 pm
i find that it's really hard to redeem anything with aeroplan points unless you travel a lot. I just got the letter telling me it's expiring soon, but looking at their selection.. i seriously dont have much to choose from when it comes to redeeming something. Probably just let it expire... it's not like i'll fly Air Canada that much anyway compared to WestJet or some other US airline.
Let them expire isn't very RFDer style lol
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4727 posts
103 upvotes
Oakville
My wife and I went to Hong Kong in business class for some Christmas shopping last year.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
I redeem them for business class tickets to Australia/New Zealand.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7372 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
For those that will expire, just use your card an at esso to keep it alive. 1 point for every $3 spent. You never know when u might save enough points for a partial trip or transfer/sell the points to people.

Ive just redeemed some points for my son and I to goto japan during the xmas holidays to japan and then i just bought tickets from japan to hk.

You can also transfer points to your spouse as well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6027 posts
438 upvotes
I redeemed 4000 miles for 4 "Admit one" s to Cineplex Oden. They can be used anytime and expire after 2 years. If you're going out to the movies, each person is $10.00 (or more in some provinces) so 4000 aeroplan miles works out to about $40.00 back.