Automotive

What do you have to disclose when you trade in car?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 6:30 pm
Jan 17, 2017
269 posts
411 upvotes

What do you have to disclose when you trade in car?

Is there anything they can hold you liable for later?
28 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Selling as is?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
I play ignorance when trading it at the dealer. Their job to find out the problems. The trade in price is already ridiculously low as it.

Sell it private if you can.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
.. you can turn the table now ... tell dealer it’s been

- executive driven
- never seen snow
- hand washed and vacuumed with due care
- maintenance done up to date but not at the dealer
- paint has been ceramic coated that you cannot even tell it’s there

Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
In my experience, the dealership did not really care outside of what is shown on the carfax i.e. no accident/claims.
Then again I was trading in an older car that will just get shipped off to some small used car lot so it’s not really their problem anymore if there were any issues with the vehicle (there was a lot actually).
Last edited by ellesdad on Mar 12th, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
Some dealers make you fill out a form. Assuming you are honest to the best of your ability on this form, telling them random stuff during negotiations is hardly enforceable - talk is cheap. I wouldn't lie on the form through as they could hold you accountable later on.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13101 upvotes
Nothing. They are supposed to have someone look it over before accepting your trade-in and/or give you a value.

My BIL traded in an A4 with flaky turbo and dealership didn't care.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2526 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
Here is the answer to your question:

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/DealersS ... sures.aspx
While the actual required disclosure will vary depending on a vehicle’s history and condition, a contract must include statements about any of the following conditions:

The make, model, trim level and model year of the vehicle.
If the vehicle has been used as a police vehicle or to provide emergency services.
If the vehicle has been used as a taxi or limousine.
If the vehicle has been leased (rented) on a daily basis and has not been subsequently owned by someone other than a dealer.
If any collision or incident damage to the vehicle was greater than $3,000 (and the total cost of repair if known by the dealer).
If the vehicle has been classified under the Highway Traffic Act as irreparable, salvage or rebuilt, and the most recent classification.
If the vehicle was declared a total loss by an insurer, regardless of classification under the Highway Traffic Act as irreparable or salvage.
If the vehicle has two or more adjacent panels that are not bumper panels that have been replaced.
If the manufacturer’s warranty on the vehicle has been cancelled.
If the vehicle has sustained any damage caused by fire.
If the vehicle has sustained any damage caused by immersion in liquid that has penetrated to the level of at least the interior floor boards.
If there has been structural damage or the vehicle has had repairs, replacements or alterations to the structure of the vehicle.
If the vehicle has an anti-lock braking system that is not operational.
If any of the vehicle’s airbags are missing or not operational.
If the vehicle requires repair to any of its:
Engine, transmission or power train.
Subframe or suspension.
Computer equipment.
Electrical system.
Fuel operation system.
Air conditioning.
If the contract is for the sale or lease of a new specifically identified motor vehicle (e.g., VIN is known, in stock, etc.), the maximum distance that will be shown on the odometer at time of delivery.
If the contract does not specifically identify a new vehicle (e.g., a vehicle which must be located, VIN unknown), the maximum distance that will be shown on the odometer at the time of delivery or a statement initialled by the buyer that there is no maximum.
If the contract is for the sale or lease of a used vehicle:
The total distance driven.
If the dealer cannot determine the total distance the vehicle has been driven, but can determine a distance the vehicle has been driven as of some past date, that distance and date, together with a statement that “the total distance the vehicle has been driven is believed to be higher.”
If the dealer is unable to make any type of determination as to total distance driven or as to distance driven from a past date, that “the total distance driven is unknown and may be substantially higher than the reading shown on the odometer.”
If the vehicle’s odometer is broken or faulty, has been replaced or rolled back, or is in miles.
If the vehicle is materially different from its original or advertised production specifications.
If the badge or any other indication on the vehicle relates to a different vehicle model.
If the vehicle was previously registered in a jurisdiction other than Ontario, and if so, a statement indicating which jurisdictions.
This requirement does not apply if the vehicle has since been registered in Ontario for more than seven years.
If the vehicle was recovered subsequent to being reported stolen.
A statement of any other facts that could be expected to influence the decision of a reasonable buyer or lessee to purchase or lease the vehicle on the terms disclosed in the contract.
Note: As-Is vehicles - All required disclosures (including material facts) must be made even if the vehicle is being sold as-is.
I would imagine every dealer you go to will have a trade in document that will cover all of the above questions. If you are asked, and you lie, then yes technically you could be held liable for damages resulting.

Will the dealer chase you down over non-disclosure? Probably not.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Some dealers will have a questionnaires form for you to disclose .
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: .. you can turn the table now ... tell dealer it’s been

- executive driven
- never seen snow

Electronic anti rust?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Absolutely nothing. It’s up to the dealer to do due diligence. I once traded in a car with a slipping transmission :)
Jun 24, 2016
624 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
I recently trade in my car to the dealer the price they offered for 65k kms but when I traded and picked up my new car I put extra 10K km’s on the car and they don’t care at all. I’m not sure how this works
May 28, 2009
15 posts
20 upvotes
There is a form they ask you to fill out...it seems pretty standard.
Aug 23, 2014
478 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
xjesterxx wrote: Here is the answer to your question:

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/DealersS ... sures.aspx

I would imagine every dealer you go to will have a trade in document that will cover all of the above questions. If you are asked, and you lie, then yes technically you could be held liable for damages resulting.

Will the dealer chase you down over non-disclosure? Probably not.
The Mazda dealership asked me to fill out and sign a form asking me similar questions to the ones above - on the day I picked up my new car. So beware if you're trying to hide something.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
What if the vehicle was bought second hand and you aren't aware of the previous owner history?
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
Older car will likely get wholesaled/auctioned, so they give zero F's. Not their concern if there are any hidden issues and will be happy to make 500 bucks off of it.
Newer car, they will probably recondition and resell at their dealership, they would need to get as much accurate and truthful info as possible.
Buy nice or buy twice.
Banned
Nov 25, 2019
22 posts
3 upvotes
the dealer asked me to sign the disclosure form before they can check car and give me a quote, but some other dealer just will look and throw out a number.
what the form really do? i haven't decided anything yet. and tbh anytime in dealership i feel butt hurt to sign any thing at all.
what stop dealer to give me a number without the form.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
booblehead wrote: .. you can turn the table now ... tell dealer it’s been

- executive driven
- never seen snow

Don’t forget:
“lady driven”
“immaculate condition”
“low mileage”
“One low payment of” insert price
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote: If the vehicle has been used as a taxi or limousine.
Since it's a taxi but not actually a taxi, I wonder how a car used for ride sharing would technically qualify.
It has all the qualities of a taxi, but not actually the title.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2526 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Since it's a taxi but not actually a taxi, I wonder how a car used for ride sharing would technically qualify.
It has all the qualities of a taxi, but not actually the title.
Unless it's changed in the last few weeks, using the vehicle for ride sharing does not have to be legally disclosed.

Most financial institutions will treat a credit application with the same rules as a Taxi if they know it is being used as a ride share however.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)