• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2005 2:04 am
Tags:
None
May 17, 2004
593 posts
Toronto

What do you think is the problem?

I keep getting blue screens with different errors whenever i try to install windows. errors such as

bad_pool_caller
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PEN_LIST_CORRUPT
and a bunch more

the specs on the computer are in my sig

consider these things

1. The ram is not the problem, works perfectly fine, was tried in several other computers
2. I exchanged the motherboard once already for the exact same one
3. DVDRW is not the issue
4. Using the Original XP home OS

I believe its my HDD, what do you guys think?

P.S: for clarification, i am not using that computer, i am using my older machine at the moment
5 replies
May 17, 2004
593 posts
Toronto
hey, thanks for the quick replys.

I tried using one stick of ram. Same problems

I cant use memtest without an OS can i?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
picco_savage wrote:I cant use memtest without an OS can i?
You can...
"Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM. "

http://www.memtest86.com/
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2004
1378 posts
219 upvotes
You absolutely, 100%, must run a memtest. Follow Rehan's link. Let it run a couple of full cycles.

It could be your HDD. If you can, run Spinrite on it. If you can't get Spinrite, use the utility from the website of whoever manufacters your drive. They aren't as good as Spinrite, but will detect medium to major errors and some minor problems. If you can, try another HDD.

Change the cable on your HDD and optical drive. Use brand new cables if possible.

Use a different CD to install the OS, or change the optical drive. (If installing from CD, it is preferable to use a CD only reader/writer, not a DVD reader/writer.) If you don't have a different CD, make a slow copy of the original. (Slow meaning burn at 8x.) Try the install from that disc.

It could be the power supply. I've fixed many weird problems by changing the PSU.

If and when you get another blue screen, (BSOD), immediately reset the system and hit the temperature monitor page of the BIOS. It could be a heat issue, especially if you've recently reseated the CPU. Check the temps and if they are very high, you may need to use better thermal compound on your CPU core or it could be a bad seat with the HSF.

Since you switched the motherboard out already, I'm going to rule that out, unless you happened to get a second defective board. Are they brand new, or out of a different system? Check the board for bad capacitors. (Look for leaking, burst or expanded capacitors, especially around the CPU area.)

I'd be very surprised if you try all this and don't find the problem.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)