Shopping Discussion

What do you think will be the next Big Box to go under will be?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 1:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
237 posts
73 upvotes
SURREY

What do you think will be the next Big Box to go under will be?

Toys R Us was a bit of a surprise to me but inevitable I guess. Who do you think is the next to go?
80 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about next but I think Indigo/Chapters could be one.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Feb 22, 2016
750 posts
372 upvotes
DjRags604 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:38 pm
Toys R Us was a bit of a surprise to me but inevitable I guess. Who do you think is the next to go?
I guarantee it won't be Best Buy. I know some of you on this board have been waiting (and predicting nonstop) for 10 years for that liquidation sale that may never come. Maybe the weak links like 2001 or The Source, but definitely not BB.

Michaels is strong on both sides of the border; Hobby Lobby won't bury them in the USA unless they 1-expand faster 2-open on Sunday. And who's their competition in Canada? DeSerres? Curry's? Fabricland? Michaels whups all of them. Wouldn't surprise me to see Michaels close underperforming stores in Ontario when the minimum wage jumps to $15/hour. But the chain won't go away anytime soon.

Winners doesn't die unless parent TJ Maxx in America goes. And I just can't see that happening.

Indigo/Chapters definitely is a weak link, have been the moment Amazon expanded to Canada.

If you wanted to bet money on a chain to go away, Rona would be a good choice. Lowe's owns it now and I just can't see Lowe's continuing to run separate banners (of nearly identical stores) often in the same cities. Could say the same about La Senza (now that it's owned by Victoria's Secret).

JYSK and Structube -- overpriced Chinese crap (not that IKEA is much better...) They can both go.

Henry's/Vistek -- this country isn't big nor rich enough for 2 high-end camera dealers. Pro photographers order from B&H and Adorama and not these jokers. One of them's gotta go. I'll bet on Henry's.

Nordstrom -- Canada is not kind to "new players" when there's already a well-entrenched incumbent. See also: Target, Krispy Kreme, Sam's Club, Sports Authority... Why else would Hudson Bay bring Saks north?

I would love to see the demise of Leons/The Brick, Canadian Tire, Value Village (the scummiest retailer of all), every Loblaws banner not called "Loblaws", and any remnants of the Isaac Benitez empire (Labels, Designer Depot...) A man can dream....
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Sep 26th, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
25 upvotes
bestbuy is probably doing best out of all electronics chains. There are visions,source,etc that are first in line

Some camera stores could go

More clothing chains to go

value retail (winners, etc) are fine
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1353 posts
319 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Oh boy, this thread again. People just list the stores that they don't like or shop at as if it's some sort of wish list.
Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
25 upvotes
Oh boy this pessimism again. I wrote the stores regardless whether I like them or not. I don't care about winners and I think they are fine. I don't like bestbuy and they are fine. There is no need to bundle everything mentioned as someone's dislike list.

Between Henrys and Vistek, I have no experience with Henrys but Vistek in my area isn't really known as market leader. Vistek website is quite a bit worse than Henrys which doesn't jibe well in online shopping world. I usually search other stores when I'm comparing as stores post same MSRP unless on special. Camera stores are making money off accessories/running classes and not much on lens/bodies as people want it matched with E-tailers, but they have storefront cost.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1086 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 11:52 pm
I guarantee it won't be Best Buy. I know some of you on this board have been waiting (and predicting nonstop) for 10 years for that liquidation sale that may never come. Maybe the weak links like 2001 or The Source, but definitely not BB.

Michaels is strong on both sides of the border; Hobby Lobby won't bury them in the USA unless they 1-expand faster 2-open on Sunday. And who's their competition in Canada? DeSerres? Curry's? Fabricland? Michaels whups all of them. Wouldn't surprise me to see Michaels close underperforming stores in Ontario when the minimum wage jumps to $15/hour. But the chain won't go away anytime soon.

Winners doesn't die unless parent TJ Maxx in America goes. And I just can't see that happening.

Indigo/Chapters definitely is a weak link, have been the moment Amazon expanded to Canada.

If you wanted to bet money on a chain to go away, Rona would be a good choice. Lowe's owns it now and I just can't see Lowe's continuing to run separate banners (of nearly identical stores) often in the same cities. Could say the same about La Senza (now that it's owned by Victoria's Secret).

JYSK and Structube -- overpriced Chinese crap (not that IKEA is much better...) They can both go.

Henry's/Vistek -- this country isn't big nor rich enough for 2 high-end camera dealers. Pro photographers order from B&H and Adorama and not these jokers. One of them's gotta go. I'll bet on Henry's.

Nordstrom -- Canada is not kind to "new players" when there's already a well-entrenched incumbent. See also: Target, Krispy Kreme, Sam's Club, Sports Authority... Why else would Hudson Bay bring Saks north?

I would love to see the demise of Leons/The Brick, Canadian Tire, Value Village (the scummiest retailer of all), every Loblaws banner not called "Loblaws", and any remnants of the Isaac Benitez empire (Labels, Designer Depot...) A man can dream....
JYSK and Structube are two completely separate things. Structube would certainly stick around, probably JYSK too.

And which competitor do we have for Nortdstrom in Toronto?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18936 posts
2519 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Metro Supermarket.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Feb 3, 2015
908 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Best buy, spring and second cup.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3233 posts
660 upvotes
Mississauga
Vistek Cameras?

Rona?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3233 posts
660 upvotes
Mississauga
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 11:52 pm
Krispy Kreme is doing just fine.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2714 posts
1100 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 11:10 am
Metro Supermarket.
Too expensive and you can't price match
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11582 posts
2452 upvotes
Montreal
Best Buy was almost bankrupt not that long ago, but as other electronics retailers have fallen, BB seems to be getting stronger and are scooping up those customers into the fold.