Beauty & Wellness

What do you use for cold/flu prevention and recovery?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 11:59 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2012
272 posts
122 upvotes
Cambridge

What do you use for cold/flu prevention and recovery?

I suppose it's that time of year again, isn't it? Let's talk about colds and what works for us here in Canada.

For prevention, I take Vitamin C every day along with a multivitamin, cook with a bit more garlic than usual, jog indoors during the winter and get the flu shot. It works well enough, I never get the flu but I do get at least one week-long cold a year (an improvement over when I was a kid and was sick nearly all winter.)

For getting better, I swear by Buckley's Complete and gargling with salt water. I've also started to take 16mg of ephedrine a day when I start to feel cold symptoms coming on: I buy the Kaizen brand from Fitshop for exercising, and it really helps with my breathing when I'm stuffed up. It's a good routine and I'm definitely doing better with colds than I used to, but there's room for improvement.
2 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29317 posts
1038 upvotes
Fernando Po
Neti potting after exposure to others with potential flu or daily, 1000iu of vitamin D (to prevent flu not cold), don't touch your face esp. nose, wash your hands after touching objects, when infected by flu, take Olive Leaf extract Oleuropein 20% or greater). I got the flu two years ago I thought was just a run of the mill cold except for the brief fever. Was tested, found to be influenza A (that was a year where the flu shot was the wrong strains). Believe I had mild symptoms because of the vD and the OLE. I have asthma and other lung issues and usually it takes months to get over the resulting chronic cough, that time didn't even get a cough. There are some side effects of the OLE but I don't recall what they were.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Aug 31, 2017
634 posts
151 upvotes
+1 for Buckley's. I literally went from death bed to bench press in no time.