Entrepreneurship & Small Business

What Do You Use For E-Commerce Shipping (cheaper and better than Canada Post)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2014 11:25 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2014
57 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What Do You Use For E-Commerce Shipping (cheaper and better than Canada Post)

Hey guys, first post here :)

I looked through some other posts in this regard, but didn't really find an answer to what I was looking for. Basically, I want to start shipping items out, but haven't picked a courier service as of yet.

I have very tiny metal accessories I want to ship out to people (key chains, etc...) through an e-commerce site. The dimensions of the products are also very small and weigh less than 25 grams each.

I hate Canada Post and want to avoid them because their executives and managers are disgusting, parasitic maggots who receive high 6-figure wages, and their rates went up exponentially. Have any of you had any alternatives that are more reasonable in price than Canada Post, and can offer tracking with shipping to Canada, the US and possibly other countries?

Thanks!
11 replies
Sep 30, 2014
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dubstep wrote:
Dec 21st, 2014 12:37 am
Hey guys, first post here :)

I looked through some other posts in this regard, but didn't really find an answer to what I was looking for. Basically, I want to start shipping items out, but haven't picked a courier service as of yet.

I have very tiny metal accessories I want to ship out to people (key chains, etc...) through an e-commerce site. The dimensions of the products are also very small and weigh less than 25 grams each.

I hate Canada Post and want to avoid them because their executives and managers are disgusting, parasitic maggots who receive high 6-figure wages, and their rates went up exponentially. Have any of you had any alternatives that are more reasonable in price than Canada Post, and can offer tracking with shipping to Canada, the US and possibly other countries?

Thanks!
I'll suggest Amazon.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2922 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
For items like that, your only option is Canada Post. Even with volume discounts, the least expensive courier is going to cost you at LEAST $8 average. Canada Post will cost you $1-2.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2014
57 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
scouzer wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2014 12:26 am
For items like that, your only option is Canada Post. Even with volume discounts, the least expensive courier is going to cost you at LEAST $8 average. Canada Post will cost you $1-2.
Canada Post offers it for $1 - $2?? Would I be able to get tracking along with this price? Their staff are not even familiar with their own shipping rates, I've even called a few times and I get variable rates or "I don't know"

They should cut wages to these disgusting animals who are the executives and managers and keep the door-to-door service strong, and also cut out some shipping costs for us; inflation keeps rising, wages are still poop, etc... Something is definitely wrong when corporate entities underpay and government entities over pay.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1913 posts
207 upvotes
Try secureship.com - However i think you wont be able to find cheaper than CP
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2922 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
Dubstep wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2014 5:27 pm
Canada Post offers it for $1 - $2?? Would I be able to get tracking along with this price? Their staff are not even familiar with their own shipping rates, I've even called a few times and I get variable rates or "I don't know"

They should cut wages to these disgusting animals who are the executives and managers and keep the door-to-door service strong, and also cut out some shipping costs for us; inflation keeps rising, wages are still poop, etc... Something is definitely wrong when corporate entities underpay and government entities over pay.
No tracking. You need to make your stuff fit in oversized letter envelopes to qualify for the $1-2 rates.

I'm not sure what you are ranting about when I'm telling you CP is cheaper than anyone else.
Jul 10, 2005
756 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think anything good can come out of mixing your animosity with a fact-based comparison of services and costs.

Canada Post is not perfect by any standard, but millions of canadians find value on it every single day. I've been selling online and shipping worldwide for over 10 years, and sometimes CP offers the best option. It all depends on the size, the weight, the destination, the speed and the add-on services (tracking, insurance, etc). There are no freebies, but lots of tradeoffs that you will need to decide.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2014
57 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I got a price for shipping out a 5 gram keychain with tracking to a place like Brampton: $12-$13 plus tax... lol

I might as well just deliver it myself. I could just move out to Niagra Falls and mail it all out through USPS, I'd get the $1-$2 price with tracking, and faster delivery.

You know, you'd expect something of value from Canada Post, but since they're a monopoly for small business and consumer shipments, they can abuse prices like this.
Jan 21, 2011
126 posts
13 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Dubstep wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2014 5:27 pm

Sometimes in business we have to deal with other companies that may not meet our ideal corporate culture. As stated before, they offer a service and depending on the specific need they may be the best option.

Pride will always affect your bottom line. Take advantage of them they same way they would do to you....it's just business.