Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Aug 8, 2007
387 posts
Toronto, ON

What do your kids do during summer?

I spent alot...well actually spend (as I'm doing it right now) my summers usually studying material for the next grade. Just wondering if other parents do that as well...also, state if you're Asian or non-Asian (e.g which country).
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
8 upvotes
Kingston
i certainly don't steer the kids away from something educational...but as for making them study in the summer?

no.
they work hard enough ten months of the year at school, i just let them be kids during the summer.
[QUOTE]also state if you're Asian or non-Asian (e.g which country).[/QUOTE]
what? why?
i'm non-asian. and i'm from Canada. (there, i answered your question even though it was dumb and tells you nothing more except i'm not asian-which should make zero difference anyways)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
Haha, I remember doing that when I was a kid. Asian parents.

Hell, I did it this summer, but that was because I was unbearably bored at work.
Feb 12, 2007
677 posts
4 upvotes
dolphie wrote:
Aug 21st, 2007 3:48 pm
i certainly don't steer the kids away from something educational...but as for making them study in the summer?

no.
they work hard enough ten months of the year at school, i just let them be kids during the summer.

what? why?
i'm non-asian. and i'm from Canada. (there, i answered your question even though it was dumb and tells you nothing more except i'm not asian-which should make zero difference anyways)
I echo this 100%
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1233 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
I did extra classes of kumon! (or something equivalent) during highschool. I also did summer school every summer to fasttrack.

I'm asian if u can't tell
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
80 upvotes
Georgetown
My kids did their usual journal this summer along with a digiscrap book. They slept in (in fact 2 out of 3weddings are still in bed now), they played outside, they rode their bikes and we hiked A LOT!! There's nothing like learning from doing! We enjoyed family reading time on the hammock, where even the six year old enjoyed reading a few pages per chapter to us!
All three of my kids excel in school, but do not need to supplement at all (they are in grade school btw), they learn on the fly, not formally.

As far as your need to know our ethnicity, I too am baffled :confused: My children are well rounded, well versed and quite educated without having their nose stuck in a class or a book all summer. *shakes head*
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Apr 6, 2004
965 posts
29 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
My six year old son is an only child so we try to get him in a few camps where he has more opportunity to play with other kids. He did three weeks of camps this summer, one pool camp and two soccer camps, and had a blast at all three. He also spent a week with my wife hanging out at my brother's cottage playing with his cousins. Other then that he did some outings with my wife, had a few play dates and generally hung out and had fun.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
dolphie wrote:
Aug 21st, 2007 3:48 pm
what? why?
Because Asian parents have a very good chance to make sure their kids to be busy in summer.

I am Asian. When I was a kid, every single summer I had to learn something on top of summer home work provided by school. Hence, my summer was not as fun as it supposed to be.

So, I don't do any of those to my kids. Their summers are more or less doing nothing.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Our teen boys have worked 50+ hrs a week. They like their bank accounts. :cheesygri Oh, and they just started football training camp. Our 12 yr old DD enjoys swimming in the pool with all her friends and plain old just being a kid. She's found lots of things to do that would be considered educational but there is no way we'd make her do anything formal. Quite frankly, we are more concerned that our kids are well-rounded individuals then stressed out over achievers with no social skills...

Personally, I absolutely refuse to answer the race question as it has absolutely no bearing on the original question asked...
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1568 upvotes
My kids are kids in the summer. They play, they go to the park, they bike, they jump on the trampoline, they hike, they fish, they vacation with us. They help in the yard and do work as well to help us as well

They still read books when they want to, but i agree with most, and let them be kids in the summer.

its like if I'm on holidays and studying about work, why the hell would i want to do that.

And I'm Canadian btw, Swedish/English background
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1868 posts
1473 upvotes
The race question seems to be absolutely relevant; so far we have 100% correlation: if Asian, then you spend your summer studying for next year, if not, then you get to actually learn how things are in real life... Interesting...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3484 posts
487 upvotes
Markham
ahoroba wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2007 7:17 pm
The race question seems to be absolutely relevant; so far we have 100% correlation: if Asian, then you spend your summer studying for next year, if not, then you get to actually learn how things are in real life... Interesting...
No. That's like saying of you're Asian you eat rice. Plenty of Asians dislike rice and prefers pasta. And I'm sure plenty of non-asians like rice.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Aug 10, 2006
976 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I'm asian, and I spent my summers in summer school taking extra classes. I also worked part time as well or volunteered at some place.

The race question is justified. As someone mentioned, asian parents "typically" make their kids do some type of academic stuff.
Jonavin wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2007 11:08 pm
No. That's like saying of you're Asian you eat rice. Plenty of Asians dislike rice and prefers pasta. And I'm sure plenty of non-asians like rice.
I actually don't know any asians that prefer pasta over rice. Maybe when we're younger we do, but once we get older, we somehow go back to eating rice.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
I also think the Asian question justified. Asian family typically push their kids more than other culture although I can speak for Chinese. You can see a lot of Asian doing great in academic level. That is out of their proportion supposed to be. Asian are not born 'smart'. Many of them are pushed and trained very early in their life.

I do not consider academic is the only thing in the life. Being pushed in the childhood makes me hate it. Although it did help me, I still hate that. I prefer to have a happier childhood like an 'abnormal' kid (but a normal kid here).
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
80 upvotes
Georgetown
Once I decided my path in life, I chose to upgrade over the summers as a child. It was my choice and not my parents (I was 12) and continued until I had most of my Grade 13 credits at the beginning of Grade 12.

I am not Asian, so I don't think the race query has anything to do with studying versus being a 'kid' over the summer, except maybe I chose to do this versus my parents forcing me.

My question of the Asian's responding that your parents made you study is, was a parent at home or was attending summer schools etc a form of daycare for you?
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)