Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
3weddings wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2007 12:19 pm
I am not Asian, so I don't think the race query has anything to do with studying versus being a 'kid' over the summer, except maybe I chose to do this versus my parents forcing me.
That is the biggest difference.
3weddings wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2007 12:19 pm
My question of the Asian's responding that your parents made you study is, was a parent at home or was attending summer schools etc a form of daycare for you?
First, the school would give me a stack of homework to do in the summer. The volume of works expects you to do 1 to 2 hours everyday.

Second, my mother would send me out to learn something in summer. It can be anything. The only one that is useful for me is typing. I did not just need to learn typing. I also need to practice and submit the work to my father.

Remember it was many years ago and I needed to use a typewriter which had no 'Backspace' to erase a typo. Finishing 10 pages without a typo is not as easy as one may think for a kid.

Third, my mother would buy extra exercise book (usually is math because it is easier to mark) for me to work on. When I was much younger, there was always 'copy books' for practicing writing.

In my era, if the parents allowed their kid not studying in the summer, they were considered bad parents.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.