Food & Drink

What does the BEST BEFORE date mean/imply?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2007 3:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2005
2252 posts
Yonge/Finch

What does the BEST BEFORE date mean/imply?

Recently went to make myself a wrap and noticed the "best before" date on the bag after I finished preparing it. It was 5 days behind. I was not going to waste the Montreal Smoked Meat which resided therein along side other fixings and decided to eat it anyway. I am happy to report that I am still among you.

So question: is the best before date just a suggestion which indicates that should the product be consumed before said date it would taste best thus implying that consumption after said date would taste not so good but still acceptable, OR, is there a health hazard consuming goods which have passed their best before date. In such a case should food not come with big bold warnings along the line of: Do NOT eat after so and so date. Best before implies several comparative levels (ie: good,better,best). Anybody else feel this may be misleading or at least confusing a bit?
Looking for:
- 8gb micro-sd
- 32gb solid state 2.5in SATA notebook HD

have a nice day :)
...or night
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
http://www.foodsafetynetwork.ca/en/arti ... 291&id=586
What do the dates on food labels mean?
The durable life of food products is defined by the Canadian Food and Drug Regulations as the amount of time, starting on the day a food is packaged, that the unopened food will retain its normal wholesomeness, palatability and nutritional value, when stored under appropriate conditions. Manufacturers and retailers must determine the durable life of foods they manufacture and sell. Dating information indicates quality not food safety.
Any pre-packaged food product having a durable life of 90 days or less must have a durable life date on the label and instructions for proper storage. The durable life date is expressed on food labels as the "best before" date. To find the durable life information on a food product look for the statement "best before" coupled with the month and date, for example, best before OC 15. It may not say "best before" if there is an explanation of the significance of the durable life date somewhere else on the label.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10281 posts
101 upvotes
Mississauga
Just because it's "best before" doesn't mean it isn't good after.

Dates mean nothing. Use your senses other than taste to determine if a food is still good. If it smells bad, is blue/gray/green, or has spores/discolorations, or has a sticky/slimy texture, toss it. Otherwise, take a little taste of it - does it taste alright? If yes, then you're good to eat it.

Really, before we had "best before" dates, we all had to use common sense - its no different now.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3237 posts
30 upvotes
If you had a piece of cold cut ham.. and it had mould growth and reeked of decay but it was well within the BEST BEFORE date, would you still eat it?

Thank you for posting...
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2764 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
danfromwaterloo wrote:
Apr 26th, 2007 12:21 pm
Just because it's "best before" doesn't mean it isn't good after.

Dates mean nothing. Use your senses other than taste to determine if a food is still good. If it smells bad, is blue/gray/green, or has spores/discolorations, or has a sticky/slimy texture, toss it. Otherwise, take a little taste of it - does it taste alright? If yes, then you're good to eat it.

Really, before we had "best before" dates, we all had to use common sense - its no different now.

Agreed. I think a lot of it has to due with quality control and legal issues. A best before date placed by the food manufacturer tells the consumer and the grocery store selling it how old the product is, which indicates freshness. Another reason behind it would be: say after you ate the wrap and you got sick. Then you try to sue the wrap producer, well they would tell you, you ate it after the best before date... SORRY your SOL.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2500 posts
128 upvotes
It gives the consumer an idea of how long you have to use up the product before it goes bad.

From the manufacturer's standpoint, they determine the date at which a product will usually go bad, and then the "Best Before" date they show you is a date set well in advance of the product's probably expiry date to keep you safe and to cover themselves from any legal issues if something happens to you.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11224 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Come on live dangeriously!

Take that expired lumpy milk and sell it as cottage cheese. Take that moldy cheese and sell it as imported.

Where is your sense of entrepreneurial spirit? :D
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4320 posts
63 upvotes
Its basically the date for if you still eat it after that and you get sick, you can't sue them.
Dec 13, 2003
446 posts
18 upvotes
In the states they have Use by dates and Sell by dates, here we just jave best before which is really equivalent to the sell by date.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
It's mainly CYA for the food manufacturers. I've eaten stuff that's over 5 years beyond the BB date without problem as canned foods can last a long time as long as the can lid remains concave.

Use common sense. Don't drink milk thats solidifying even if it's before the BB date. But some stuff can last well beyond the BB date.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2005
1533 posts
225 upvotes
Ajax
eelfliw wrote:
Apr 26th, 2007 5:22 pm
It's mainly CYA for the food manufacturers. I've eaten stuff that's over 5 years beyond the BB date without problem as canned foods can last a long time as long as the can lid remains concave.

Use common sense. Don't drink milk thats solidifying even if it's before the BB date. But some stuff can last well beyond the BB date.

wow 5yrs?? what food are they? i wouldn't consume the coke from a 1992 coca cola glass bottle.... it's better stay as a collectible piece...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13264 posts
227 upvotes
Midland
One thing I would never use (eat) past the expiry date is pancake mix.
You can run into real problems (like turning blue and not being able to breathe properly - causing death) if you do.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
chenj16 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2007 5:34 pm
wow 5yrs?? what food are they? i wouldn't consume the coke from a 1992 coca cola glass bottle.... it's better stay as a collectible piece...
Canned tuna, SPAM etc. are fine. As long as the cans keep the vacuum.

Powdered milk is fine too. So is rice (just don't cook it).
Jan 1, 2005
561 posts
53 upvotes
Montreal
eelfliw wrote:
Apr 28th, 2007 2:45 am
Canned tuna, SPAM etc. are fine. As long as the cans keep the vacuum.
If you believe some chefs, tuna canned in oil actually improve in flavor after a few years. Never had the patience to test it.
× < >