what does a car tune up consist of?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2009 4:02 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2006
64 posts

what does a car tune up consist of?

I have a 2003 chrysler sebring. 107000km, it seems to be running a bit rough, I've had the transmission fluid flushed for regular maintenance. What does a tune up consist of and can I do it myself.
4 replies
May 20, 2009
75 posts
Ottawa
buy some injector cleaner (techron works great if you can find it) and put it in the next tank. check your air and cabin filter and see if they need to be replaced.

clean your MAF sensor with cleaner and replace spark plugs...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
assuming engine tuneup,
if your car still has butterfly in the throttle body, cleaning it will help with air restriction, if it aint clean, it ain't smooth, Burn more gas, use an old toothbrush. You may wanna clean the cold start and egr area. Add fuel injector cleaner, maybe a can of wynn valve quieter to help clean engine components from some gunk.

check your sparkplugs, maybe a valve adjustment, check all the belts, checking the engine timing.
air filter, new oil, new oil filter.
If I can do it, you can do it.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2006
64 posts
I meant engine tune up, I guess for the engine timming, I would have to buy a odb reader, any recommendations on one?

Anybody know where I can find a service book online for the 2003 sebring>
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1072 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
electrom27 wrote:
May 25th, 2009 2:04 pm
I meant engine tune up, I guess for the engine timming, I would have to buy a odb reader, any recommendations on one?

Anybody know where I can find a service book online for the 2003 sebring>
Engine timing is most likely not adjustable, so no point in spending money on obdII reader.

Posters above are right in recommending spark plugs and throttle body cleaning, new filters - including the fuel filter (I've seen cars running rough because of a dirty fuel filter that had over 100k on it). I'd also add checking wires (if its not coil-on-plug ignition), as old cracking wires can cause rough running.
Also, replace thr PCV valve, that is usually included in a tune-up.
Good luck, all parts should be relatively cheap.
× < >