Cell Phones

what does the "H" stand for on the data connection logo?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2011 12:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
10305 posts
685 upvotes

what does the "H" stand for on the data connection logo?

I'm using an HTC Legend on Rogers network and the spot where it shows your connection sometimes says 3G and othertimes says H

what's the H mean?
He who tries will be wasted
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
10305 posts
685 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 8:08 pm
3.5G/Hspa

thanks

does the iphone 4 not support that because mine never says anything other than 3g
He who tries will be wasted
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
It does....but yeah there's something peculiar about it.

The only time I've ever seen H is on my old HTC Tilt 2. It only shows up during data activity.

Never seen it on iPHones., eventhough they are HSDPA/HSPA compliant...aren't they?
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
bubble.tea wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:13 pm
It does....but yeah there's something peculiar about it.

The only time I've ever seen H is on my old HTC Tilt 2. It only shows up during data activity.

Never seen it on iPHones., eventhough they are HSDPA/HSPA compliant...aren't they?

I think even if they're running on HSPA, the 3g logo comes up, because on a speedtest, I've gotten 6.15mbps before and the logo on the top for my iPhone 4 was still a "3G", so yeah its compatable but doesn't show the "H", and it can't be on 3g cuz 3g has a limit to 3mbps or so in speed.
Nov 10, 2003
67 posts
Toronto
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 7:43 pm
I'm using an HTC Legend on Rogers network and the spot where it shows your connection sometimes says 3G and othertimes says H

what's the H mean?

Hi Viper,
I am using a HTC legend myself with Rogers but I can't switch it to H or 3G? I called Rogers and they say that Legend cannot because of hardware setup... I can only connect via EDGE?
I've tried looking everywhere online for help, you are the only one I can find that can connect to H or 3G on Rogers.

Please please help me, my E "EDGE" connection is really slow

Your help is much much appreciated!
Thanks
(my HTC is unlocked)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
My Nexus S on Mobilicity with unlimited data changes between 3G logo and H depending on where I am.
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
duckdown wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 2:28 pm
My Nexus S on Mobilicity with unlimited data changes between 3G logo and H depending on where I am.

That's because H comes on when you're in an HSPA+ zone, 3G is regular HSPA.

Same thing happens with my Captivate I believe.
If this post was helpful to you, click the "thanks" button.
Dec 4, 2008
487 posts
50 upvotes
Montreal
amace wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 2:53 pm

Uhh, I don't think that's right. H symbol means you're connected to HSDPA/HSUPA while 3G means UTMS. You can track it in the settings phone info for type of connection.

In any case, the Nexus S nor the Captivate are HSPA+ devices anyways.
Also my HTC Magic has the same H/3G symbols on Cyanogen 2.3.3 and Stock Rom AND IT SURE AS HELL is not HSPA+.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1102 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
There's no reason to "stay" on H since it uses more power. Hence, phones will stick to 3G until you start transmitting/receiving data.
When required, it switches because the faster it sends/receives (on H vs 3G), the less time the phone has to be transmitting.

Also, depending on the firmware/theme, you may not have an H symbol, but are still be using H.
e.g. My old Xperia X1 by default didn't have the icon. Once I flashed a custom firmware, it appeared.
jwyl10 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 1:22 pm
Hi Viper,
I am using a HTC legend myself with Rogers but I can't switch it to H or 3G? I called Rogers and they say that Legend cannot because of hardware setup... I can only connect via EDGE?
I've tried looking everywhere online for help, you are the only one I can find that can connect to H or 3G on Rogers.

Please please help me, my E "EDGE" connection is really slow.
From the sounds of it, you do not have a North America HTC Legend, but an international one.
If you've got an international/European/Asian HTC Legend, it will NOT work with North American 3G, which is 850 Mhz (Rogers, Bell, Telus, AT&T). You're stuck with EDGE.
If you've got a North American one, have you entered in the Rogers Access Point Node settings (APN)? [Server, port, etc.]
http://www.htc.com/europe/howto.aspx?id ... 1&p_id=313
amace wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 2:53 pm

Incorrect. HSPA+ is only for the newest phones (currently being advertised as 4G: e.g. http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-inf ... -20110505/) supporting Revision 7 of the HSPA protocol. The Captivate doesn't support HSPA+.
Home automation, CanadaHiFi Magazine, photography, EVs.
× < >