Shopping Discussion

What does loonie need to be for you to cross border shop?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 11:51 am

Poll: What does loonie need to be to cross border shop again?

• Total votes: 81. You have voted on this poll.
90- AT PAR

43%
80-89 cents USD

32%
70-79 cents USD

2%
Anytime, it's worth it because of selection

19%
Never, I prefer to support local retailers

1%
Other

2%
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto

What does loonie need to be for you to cross border shop?

For some, it's worth it to make the trip over the border, and pay duty even when our dollar was at 73 cents.
Now that it's at 80 cents, will you be making more trips to the USA (or order online assuming they deliver to Canada)?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The Dollar doesn't matter, as we don't make trips very often that are specifically meant for shopping. We go to the US for other reasons: vacation, concerts, events, etc. Shopping is a secondary benefit.

The Dollar does matter though on how often we go to the US overall.

Shopping is always a good deal in America if you are strategic and know what things are worth back home... Cause not everything is cheaper.

Selection though is a HUGE draw. So sometimes it is a matter of paying more cause it is something we have not seen in Canada yet... Or you play the Sales & Loyalty Game, and only end up paying "a bit more" because of discounts etc
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
I visit the USA 2-3 times per year for non-shopping purposes, and will sometimes pick up a few things on the way home if I have the time and the savings are good. I almost always hit up the duty free store for booze.

But I never make special trips to the USA just to shop, unless it's something that's not available here. For me it's not worth the time or hassle.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
This is really hard for me to answer, because the dollar has been bad for so long, that I've just stopped crossing. With it being better, it's hard to get "back into it" without it being VERY good (even though I probably shopped around 80 cents before).
No plans to shop currently.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
I live close enough to the border to make shopping in the US mostly by online orders and pick up at the border viable still. Many things I order simply are not available in Canada or the cost is so much higher that even with the lower exchange rate, money can still be saved. Gas is still cheaper once the exchange is factored in we can easily save $10 just on gas. Milk still comes out cheaper, as does cheese. Plus the US has a way better selection of products.
May 13, 2014
765 posts
450 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think I've gone across the border purely for the purpose of shopping in 5+ years - that's a very 20th century way of doing things.

What I do all the time regardless of the value of the dollar, however, is shop online and get it delivered to Point Roberts. Prices aside, there are some (surprisingly mundane) things that you just can't get here in Canada.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
Raident wrote: What I do all the time regardless of the value of the dollar, however, is shop online and get it delivered to Point Roberts. Prices aside, there are some (surprisingly mundane) things that you just can't get here in Canada.
This. I needed spokes to build up a custom bicycle wheel. 18 each of two different lengths. Wanted DT Competition double butted. I could not find a single source in Canada, B&M or online, that would sell me any less than a whole box of 100 of each, for $250 total. Had to order from a US source (was happy to sell me 18 of each for $50 including shipping) and ship to Point Roberts.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I always get treated like crap trying to get into the usa, so I don't ever cross-border shop.
Dec 10, 2013
24 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Even with the exchange being so high, there are still great deals in the US.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I'd only ever do that if I need, say, a used car part that I can't find nationally (and the cost is too prohibitive to ship from the us to canada due to the weight of the item).
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao