Personal Finance

What does it mean when your tax return is "In process"?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 11:32 am
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote

What does it mean when your tax return is "In process"?

I've filed my personal tax return for 2016 in April this year through netfile.

On the CRA website when I check the status of my return it says "In process." It's been like this since I filed.

A reasonable person could assume this means the return is being processed. The thing that concerns me is this is not on the list of possible return statuses shown on the CRA site.

For as long as I've been filing through netfile the status shows up as "Received" after filing then a few days moves to "Assessed."

I called the CRA for clarification and they said said this means "your return is being processed and to wait another 6 weeks and call back if it hasn't changed."

They didn't understand my concern that this return status is not one of the normal return states.

Does "In process" mean anything special? Does this indicate I'm being reviewed/audited?
1186 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
983 upvotes
In process is one of the standard statuses that the CRA uses. And it means exactly what they told you and what you would think. Your return is being processed. Just because you haven't seen it before doesn't mean it's not normal.

There are many reasons why it could be sitting in that status. It could be something that requires someone to approve it manually. Or there could be something in your return that has triggered a pre-assessment review. I've had that when they wanted to see my daycare receipts.

Nothing you can do but wait. And if they ask to see some backup that's not an audit. An audit is very different.

Did you claim anything like child care, donations or medical expenses.
Jan 31, 2016
892 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It basically means that your return has been selected for a manual review. It doesn't necessarily mean that CRA will ask for additional documents, but it is a possibility.

This is quite normal actually so not to worry. You can call in again at a later date and ask for a completion date when you can see you NOA and if no additional information is required from you, they will provide you with the date.
Feb 27, 2018
25 posts
15 upvotes
What was the outcome? Just filed my 2017 taxes and it says in process
Feb 28, 2018
1 posts
Mine also says it is in process. Should this be a concern? I only put my T4, student loan interest paid and RRSP. Nothing out of the ordinary!
Mar 1, 2018
26 posts
16 upvotes
Mine says in process as well and I filed the 27th and it still has not changed
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4947 posts
850 upvotes
Peterborough
All in-process means is that it has been received and has not yet been assessed.

It definitely does not mean it is being auditef or has been selected for a pre-assessment review.
Mar 4, 2016
49 posts
14 upvotes
filed on 26, and thats what it says to in process. has anyones status changed?
Mar 2, 2018
95 posts
22 upvotes
I also filed on 26th and it still says “your 2017 return is being processed”.

My husbands was also filed but later on March 1 and his was already assessed....hmmmm.

That is not one of the listed statuses on the CRA website. I called and the agent told me it’s just “in transit” between netfile and their system and sometimes there is a delay.

I have never seen this before, it always shows received first in my experience. Annoying that they are Listing a status that doesn’t even exist in their list of status options.

Anyone else’s update yet?
Mar 4, 2018
142 posts
30 upvotes
I am still waiting for that message "assessed". Please keep update. In process. I hope receiving good news at the end of this week,

Regards!
Mar 4, 2018
6 posts
11 upvotes
My return is in the same status as above I would also like to know if anyone has had an update to there status
Feb 5, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Still says "Your 2017 return is being processed" since the 27th, filed on the 26th. My spouse filed at the same time and it was transitioned to "assessed" on the 27th, with NOA and refund on March 8th.

Keep us posted if any of your status's change, we are all dying to know what happens next.
Feb 27, 2018
25 posts
15 upvotes
Still saying in process .. since Feb 26.. cra confirmed reciept and said it will go right from in process to assessedbut can take up to 4 weeks.. they won’t confirm if they are delayed.. anyone else have new info to share?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1475 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg
dotsandpixels wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:20 am
It basically means that your return has been selected for a manual review. It doesn't necessarily mean that CRA will ask for additional documents, but it is a possibility.

This is quite normal actually so not to worry. You can call in again at a later date and ask for a completion date when you can see you NOA and if no additional information is required from you, they will provide you with the date.
Think you are right.