Personal Finance

What does it mean when your tax return is "In process"?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2018 12:37 am
Jan 27, 2010
71 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting sick of checking my account ten times a day hoping for good news. Does anyone know the timing of when it changes from processing to "NOA available"? As in does that happen overnight and if I see "processing" when I first login is there any point in checking later that day?
Feb 27, 2018
25 posts
15 upvotes
so I finally got my return DD on June 8th. What a fight boy. I would still be fighting if I didn't make the complaint to the deputy ministers office. Once I sent the complaint, I got a call approx 3 weeks later from someone that is actually in sudbury. Direct contact, works with everyone under the sun to get your situation resolved. This is above the PRP process and MP process. My MP is still waiting to get an update from CRA yet I have already recieved my refund on the 8th so the MP's aren't to bright either and decided not to tell them and let them work to tell me something I already know. Now I just put in an adjustment for my 2016 tax review.. lets see how long that takes......
Jun 3, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
Where have people found the information on getting paid interest for overdue returns?
May 26, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
J am Just wondering how you received confirmation that the faxed information was received. I faxed my information to the number provided in my letter on June 8/18 but nothing stating it has been received on My Account yet. I keep checknig. As my funding for my next years school is waiting on this to be completed. So it is time sensitive, like yours.
May 28, 2018
24 posts
4 upvotes
I think the biggest problem we have with the length of time returns are taking is the lack of transparency. Online it simply shows processing, which has little to no insight as to what is actually happening. It is so frustrating because we don't really know what is happening.
May 26, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
I just called to find out if the received my faxes. The lady was so rude. She replied you have had since June 6 to fax them in why so long. I said I faxed them in June 8, I had to get everything together. Then she replies we wont even look at your fax for 4 weeks at which time we have 6-8 weeks to assess - best case scenario. I said I called in about 10 times now. Everyone tells me different information, your best case scenario means I cant go back to school in September. Because of their inability to get returns done in a timely manner. Her advice take a personal loan and figure out your tuition, otherwise you won't be going in September. I was fuming
May 28, 2018
24 posts
4 upvotes
MelissaC69009 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:09 am
I just called to find out if the received my faxes. The lady was so rude. She replied you have had since June 6 to fax them in why so long. I said I faxed them in June 8, I had to get everything together. Then she replies we wont even look at your fax for 4 weeks at which time we have 6-8 weeks to assess - best case scenario. I said I called in about 10 times now. Everyone tells me different information, your best case scenario means I cant go back to school in September. Because of their inability to get returns done in a timely manner. Her advice take a personal loan and figure out your tuition, otherwise you won't be going in September. I was fuming
Total BS!
May 18, 2018
14 posts
MelissaC69009 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:27 am
J am Just wondering how you received confirmation that the faxed information was received. I faxed my information to the number provided in my letter on June 8/18 but nothing stating it has been received on My Account yet. I keep checknig. As my funding for my next years school is waiting on this to be completed. So it is time sensitive, like yours.

Hi Melissa, myaccount doesnt show that unfo. You have to call CRA to get xonfirmation qhich is a drag i know.
May 18, 2018
12 posts
6 upvotes
I was advised by a cra employee who double checked with the accounting department in regards to the interest info. Hope that helps.
Mar 30, 2018
24 posts
19 upvotes
I think instead of sending documents via fax, it may be time saving if you upload the documents through My Account section of the CRA web. The receipt number comes instantanouly. The same thing for those who seek T1 adjustments it should be done through My Account section. This will save time and agony.
Jan 27, 2010
71 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
MelissaC69009 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:27 am
For me I had to provide rrsp slips. I called two weeks after faxing for confirmation. Then a month later I received a letter confirming my documents were approved. That was dated may 2 but yet my return is still not processed
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1640 posts
631 upvotes
Kitchener
topnotch wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 6:43 am
I'm getting sick of checking my account ten times a day hoping for good news. Does anyone know the timing of when it changes from processing to "NOA available"? As in does that happen overnight and if I see "processing" when I first login is there any point in checking later that day?
So I had several years of reassessments; start back in December IRRC; So I had called in May to ask "What's up", they told me wait until the middle of June and if nothing had changed, to give them a call back.

So I check My Account today, and lo and behold, years 2008-2012 have been processed, NOA will be June 21. So to answer your question, it's about 9 or 10 days (Once it's processed). I expect to see 2013-2016 to be completed shortly, I hope....as for how long it stays in processing, it seems to be about 6 months for me.
Jun 4, 2018
12 posts
Ramrecord wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:21 pm
I think instead of sending documents via fax, it may be time saving if you upload the documents through My Account section of the CRA web. The receipt number comes instantanouly. The same thing for those who seek T1 adjustments it should be done through My Account section. This will save time and agony.
I thought that would be a good alternative as well..Not only did I fax but I uploaded all documents on the site directly. That was six weeks ago...Said it was recieved three weeks ago..still waiting..this is bullshit
May 26, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
I need advice. I am thinking this is a fraud call. I got a call and it left a message on my phone from a number in St. Johns NL. The message went something like this. Hi Melissa this is Brenda. I am calling from the CRA and I have further information on the matter you called in about on June 7. Please call me back at 855-772-5398. The two major red flags, I didnt call in on June 7, I called June 4 and June 12. And the number this message came from was different from the call back. Was this a spoof call?
May 28, 2018
24 posts
4 upvotes
MelissaC69009 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:39 am
I need advice. I am thinking this is a fraud call. I got a call and it left a message on my phone from a number in St. Johns NL. The message went something like this. Hi Melissa this is Brenda. I am calling from the CRA and I have further information on the matter you called in about on June 7. Please call me back at 855-772-5398. The two major red flags, I didnt call in on June 7, I called June 4 and June 12. And the number this message came from was different from the call back. Was this a spoof call?
I just dialed the number you provided. A nice lady answered and it sounded like a legit CRA person.