Personal Finance

What does it mean when your tax return is "In process"?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 4:24 pm
May 28, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
MelissaC69009 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:39 am
I need advice. I am thinking this is a fraud call. I got a call and it left a message on my phone from a number in St. Johns NL. The message went something like this. Hi Melissa this is Brenda. I am calling from the CRA and I have further information on the matter you called in about on June 7. Please call me back at 855-772-5398. The two major red flags, I didnt call in on June 7, I called June 4 and June 12. And the number this message came from was different from the call back. Was this a spoof call?
I just dialed the number you provided. A nice lady answered and it sounded like a legit CRA person.
May 18, 2018
14 posts
JRUSH123 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:56 am
I just dialed the number you provided. A nice lady answered and it sounded like a legit CRA person.
In my opinion, I wouldn't chance it to call that number. Call the main number you have and ask them if that number is legit. Too many of those calls are happening where people are disguising themselves as CRA. It has been in the news many times.
Save yourself peace of mind:)
Mar 26, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
FINALLY - Notice of assessment on June 21. (filed on March 2nd - had pre assement letter on April 10th ) good luck to everyone else
May 28, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
TrevorB925118 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:40 pm
FINALLY - Notice of assessment on June 21. (filed on March 2nd - had pre assement letter on April 10th ) good luck to everyone else
Congrats!!! Feels like forever!
Jan 27, 2010
60 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
TrevorB925118 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:40 pm
That's great, congrats! So you sent in documents on April 10th? Must be nice to be able to stop logging in every day to check the status!
Jun 6, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
For those that received their Notice of assessment, did the CRA send a notification email? I'm getting tired of logging in everyday to check.
May 28, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
I just called the CRA and they told me that my particular file was flagged for further review and not to call back until after August 16th. I asked what recourse there is if it's not done by the 16th, and they said "none, just don't call before then".
May 18, 2018
10 posts
6 upvotes
I got fed up today and contacted the Ombudsman’s office. They advised that I do have grounds to file a complaint (so I did). Anyone else interested I’ll explain the process... google form RC193. You fill out the form and can fax it, mail it or submit on your cra account (I couldn’t get it to work on my cra account). I faxed mine, as they said it will get dealt with quicker. The form is faxed to the CRA complaint department. They have 30 business days to reply to the complaint. If they don’t reply within the 30 days you can contact the Ombudsman’s office again and they will deal directly with the CRA. They do not work for the CRA, however the do work to resolve complaints if the CRA doesn’t deal with the complaint in 30 days.

I hate to do this but I’ve exhausted all other options and still haven’t received my return or any update. And I filed my taxes in February.
Mar 26, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I just logged in as I have been doing multiple times a day for three months! Suddenly it changed. Had to look twice actually to process it lol - wasn't quite sure what I was looking at for a second!
May 18, 2018
14 posts
Finally assessed and i should be happy but after faxing my docs may 15, they indicate a way less amount then what i submitted.
Does anyone kmow how i can fight this? What forms to submit etc?
Crazy. I am so mad!!!!!
Mar 4, 2018
140 posts
29 upvotes
JoshM84574 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 9:49 pm
Gearnice, did your coffee arrive?
Oh, yes Josh. Thank you. I had not had the time to thank you budd. My daughter received the coffee, and she took the advantage drinking it, as my daughter she has that right, anyways. I thought was you the sender.

Thanks again from my daughter and me.
Mar 30, 2018
24 posts
19 upvotes
User2018 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:13 pm
Finally assessed and i should be happy but after faxing my docs may 15, they indicate a way less amount then what i submitted.
Does anyone kmow how i can fight this? What forms to submit etc?
Crazy. I am so mad!!!!!
Once you receive your NOA, review it and find out what CRA has disallowed. If you feel you have been short changed, file a Notice of Objection within 90 days from the date of NOA. You will be contracted by CRA to present your side. Should you still disagree, if CRA does not agree, you may approach tax court of Canada within 90 days of CRA rejecting your argument. The Notice of Objection form is available on line. You may file it through My Account Section of the CRA web. You may represent yourself in the Tax Court if your claim is below a threshold. If your claim is substantial , or you are not sure of the procedure, you may approach some accountant but that will involve an additional cost.
May 18, 2018
14 posts
Ramrecord wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:21 pm
Once you receive your NOA, review it and find out what CRA has disallowed. If you feel you have been short changed, file a Notice of Objection within 90 days from the date of NOA. You will be contracted by CRA to present your side. Should you still disagree, if CRA does not agree, you may approach tax court of Canada within 90 days of CRA rejecting your argument. The Notice of Objection form is available on line. You may file it through My Account Section of the CRA web. You may represent yourself in the Tax Court if your claim is below a threshold. If your claim is substantial , or you are not sure of the procedure, you may approach some accountant but that will involve an additional cost.
Thank you Ramrecord. Would you know if $2,500.00 is considered substantial?
Mar 30, 2018
24 posts
19 upvotes
User2018 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:00 pm
Thank you Ramrecord. Would you know if $2,500.00 is considered substantial?
Your personal matter.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1623 posts
108 upvotes
Has anyone had experience doing their last income tax return by paper mail (last filing for a non resident for tax purposes), and if so how long has it taken for yours to be assessed? It's been nearly 1.5 months since mailing my return and nothing has happened yet, still shows up as in process in myaccount. Is thus normal? Thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Sadi1966