Personal Finance

What does it mean when your tax return is "In process"?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2023 2:51 pm
Mar 22, 2022
5 posts
2 upvotes
KenRose wrote: Reviewed by a human? This is crazy that they are reviewing so many this year.

I have no idea what it’s being reviewed by, but I know.. it’s ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
So for me apparently because I claimed the educator school supplies credit and the bill is still in parliament they will not process my return until it gets royal assent. Wish there would have been a heads up because that was only about $5 of credit lol. If anyone else claimed that we may have a wait ahead.

https://www.parl.ca/legisinfo/en/bill/44-1/c-8
😉
Apr 18, 2018
17 posts
17 upvotes
Delay in assessing tax returns in which the taxpayer is claiming credits that have not yet received Royal Assent

Question
Will the CRA require additional time to process a tax return in which the taxpayer is claiming the Return of Fuel Charge Proceeds to Farmers Tax Credit (Form T2043) or the Eligible Educator School Supply Tax Credit?

Environment
Personal Taxprep 2021
CCH iFirm Taxprep T1 2021
CCH iFirm Cantax T1 2021
Cantax T1 2021

Answer
Yes. On February 18, 2022, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) sent an email to tax preparers about two tax measures that have not yet received Royal Assent:

February 18, 2022
Legislative changes
As we head into the 2022 filing season, we would like to provide you with important information that may impact tax return preparation and processing for a subset of your clients.

There are several refundable tax credits included in Bill C-8, Economic and Fiscal Update Implementation Act, 2021:

-Return of Fuel Charge Proceeds to Farmers Tax Credit (Form T2043)
-Eligible Educator School Supply Tax Credit

Although your certified tax software may perform the calculations, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) cannot process claims for the above items until supporting legislation has been enacted. Therefore, if your clients plan to claim any of these credits, processing cannot be finalized

The CRA accepts returns in which one of the two refundable tax credits is claimed; however, it has confirmed there will be a delay in processing those tax returns until these measures are officially in effect.

As a result, the CRA will not issue a notice of assessment for these tax returns, and if the taxpayer is entitled to a tax refund, the refund will be delayed until the legislation relating to these measures is in effect.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah so at least I have an explanation but I do think TurboTax should have had a better disclaimer. Anyone familiar with how long this process takes? I normally do not follow the senate closely lol

It is a bit silly because I cannot refile without it because you cannot refile before you are assessed and I cannot be assessed either. So I am in limbo over an extra $5. Oh well I guess now I can stop checking and just wait.
😉
Dec 31, 2009
85 posts
19 upvotes
calgary
bman77 wrote: So for me apparently because I claimed the educator school supplies credit and the bill is still in parliament they will not process my return until it gets royal assent. Wish there would have been a heads up because that was only about $5 of credit lol. If anyone else claimed that we may have a wait ahead.

https://www.parl.ca/legisinfo/en/bill/44-1/c-8
UNREAL!!!! I did too? How did you find this out? Did you speak to someone?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
KenRose wrote: UNREAL!!!! I did too? How did you find this out? Did you speak to someone?
Someone on Reddit who claims to work for the CRA. But it checks out.
😉
Dec 31, 2009
85 posts
19 upvotes
calgary
bman77 wrote: Someone on Reddit who claims to work for the CRA. But it checks out.
Well, the federal budget is set to be delivered April 7. So I'm assuming that this will be perhaps approved in conjunction with that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
I filed March 1st, maybe earlier, and still “ in process “. Seems to either take really long or NOA issued right away.
Mar 22, 2022
5 posts
2 upvotes
Filed March 11th,
Just got my express NOA this afternoon.

Hopefully everyone else’s comes soon!!
Dec 31, 2009
85 posts
19 upvotes
calgary
Michellebxo wrote: Filed March 11th,

Glad for you Michelle, congrats.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
Michellebxo wrote: Filed March 11th,

Mine just came as well
Dec 31, 2009
85 posts
19 upvotes
calgary
thetipster wrote: Mine just came as well
If anyone who claimed anything for the Educator's Tax Credit for spending our own money on kids, let me know.
Nov 20, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
I filed mine using netfile/turbotax on the 1st of March. Still in processing. I've called a few times and they just say they have no idea when it will be processed, just that there is nothing wrong with my return. I didn't apply for any credits other than the CAI. I did leave out my t5008 investment forms and my final t4 wasn't processed until April 1st, so perhaps it is just a delay or hiccup in the system. I just wish you could send in a refile before it gets processed, as adding those missing forms may have sped up the process. Anyways, I'm rambling. Hope you guys get your returns soon. I know I'm looking forward to putting it into that new homeowners savings account and get it started up.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
KenRose wrote: And for sure we cannot pull our returns and file a new one?
Yes, you can't amend anything til you get an NOA
😉
Dec 31, 2009
85 posts
19 upvotes
calgary
bman77 wrote: Yes, you can't amend anything til you get an NOA
This has me absolutely incensed
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
KenRose wrote: This has me absolutely incensed
I mean me too. But I've resigned to waiting. Call the CRA and report back to see if they're making any exceptions if you like. It's a bit circular otherwise and certainly frustrating.
😉
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2483 posts
699 upvotes
Winnipeg
KenRose wrote: This has me absolutely incensed
Did you ever reach out to the CRA or anything? The house isn't even sitting for these two weeks. I'm pretty upset with the lack of a disclaimer on TurboTax too. They are meant to provide info on the credits they have.
😉