Shopping Discussion

What is the duty on a TV that I bring in from the US (with no allowance)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 4:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4361 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary

What is the duty on a TV that I bring in from the US (with no allowance)

Can someone please give me an accurate answer to this (hopefully someone with CRA or CBSA).

If I go down to the US and buy a TV and return immediately the same day, what duty is payable?.

Lets say I buy a Samsung 82" for $3298 US. B&H Photo say they would add $165 US (to Alberta) for Duties and Taxes which is just the 5% GST - no duty because it is "Nafta Compliant". But they add $393 US for shipping which I would like to avoid by picking up myself.

So can I buy a TV, stick it in my truck, cross the border into Alberta and will I just be charged 5%? Or is there some fundamental difference because I am bringing it over myself and not shipping from a US retailer?

For reference this would mean I could bring it in for ~$ 4400 vs a Canadian retail purchase (eg Visions) at ~$5700 inc GST
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4361 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the links. Yes I understand the warranty risk.

Is there some definitive way I can find where the Samsung NU8000 is made (ie as proof of Nafta compliance)?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1786 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver
FYI the 2017 model was $4000 CAD boxing day (last year). Odds are 82NU8000 will be lower than that mark by black friday if not sooner.

As far as where its made, 8000 series generally would be made in Korea or southeast asia (malaysia) somewhere. If you want to be sure where the box says its made in, you can call or email the retailer since you're buying from them. Some models are made in Mexico (tho generally 5-6 series). Again the most accurate info is from the retailers because there are different plants and it really depends on which plant they (or their supplier) get their supply from. Again i would recommend (if you can wait), just wait it out because it will likely be cheaper in Canada (than the price you're paying now, US likely will also be a lot cheaper then of course).

Also note its only $4500 here now anyways

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... n82nu8000/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4361 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, I may wait for Boxing Day . Prices have dropped a lot in the past couple of weeks.

Currently Costco US is $3279US including 3 year Square Trade warranty = $4295 CAD and Washington State Costcos allow Alberta residents to buy sales-tax free
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2052 posts
1458 upvotes
Vancouver
I use this link to calculate duties and taxes: https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calc ... calculator For a non-NAFTA TV valued at $3298, you're looking at C$227.25 GST, and C$216.43 duty.

I never knew this about Alberta residents being exempt from paying WA state sales tax. I looked it up and It's the only province that this is offered to. Must be some sort of reciprocity policy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4631 posts
2482 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 2:52 pm
Thanks for the links. Yes I understand the warranty risk.

Is there some definitive way I can find where the Samsung NU8000 is made (ie as proof of Nafta compliance)?
If this model is available for sale in Canada, and somewhere you can physically get to... go take a look see for yourself... MADE IN info should be on the box / paperwork. This is the first line of checking for CBSA when an item is imported (serial numbers is the second)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1786 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:02 am
If this model is available for sale in Canada, and somewhere you can physically get to... go take a look see for yourself... MADE IN info should be on the box / paperwork. This is the first line of checking for CBSA when an item is imported (serial numbers is the second)
Odds of you finding a box for a 82" on the floor is remote unless Costco carries it. Most of the time TV that size are only demo'd and you order from a warehouse (in this case, store would order from Samsung directly). There might be the odd TV in stock but its not likely. Even 75", most of the time stores won't actually have physical stock. Sony 75 x850e for example, BB only had 2 in stock (1 cambie, 1 metro) in all of GVA (and likely all of BC). They had a lot more via warehouse with free ship to the store. Samsung 75mu8000 had 0 in stock @ LD (and none @ nearby stores) in Jan.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4631 posts
2482 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:22 am
Odds of you finding a box for a 82" on the floor is remote unless Costco carries it. Most of the time TV that size are only demo'd and you order from a warehouse (in this case, store would order from Samsung directly). There might be the odd TV in stock but its not likely. Even 75", most of the time stores won't actually have physical stock. Sony 75 x850e for example, BB only had 2 in stock (1 cambie, 1 metro) in all of GVA (and likely all of BC). They had a lot more via warehouse with free ship to the store. Samsung 75mu8000 had 0 in stock @ LD (and none @ nearby stores) in Jan.
:rolleyes:

Box... was but one example I gave.

The other was paperwork. The MADE IN info is often found in the Users Manual.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1786 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:27 am
:rolleyes:

Box... was but one example I gave.

The other was paperwork. The MADE IN info is often found in the Users Manual.
Yeah you're not finding that in store either (unless you get a rep who's willing to look for it in the back). Plus isn't it easier to just call the store you're buying from (or planning on buying from) and ask them? Stock in Canada coming from one place does not actually mean stock from the US comes from the same plant/place (even one store here might get TVs from one source while others might have another source).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4631 posts
2482 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:32 am
Yeah you're not finding that in store either (unless you get a rep who's willing to look for it in the back). Plus isn't it easier to just call the store you're buying from (or planning on buying from) and ask them? Stock in Canada coming from one place does not actually mean stock from the US comes from the same plant/place (even one store here might get TVs from one source while others might have another source).
True enough.

But then the model numbers don’t usually line up either.

The OP is asking about a very specific tv Model I believe
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1786 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:44 am
True enough.

But then the model numbers don’t usually line up either.

The OP is asking about a very specific tv Model I believe
I believe OP was looking for samsung 82nu8000, which is likely from korea since samsung generally only uses their mexico plant for lower series. Also samsung uses the same model number (just different ending) for a lot of places, you are actually thinking sony who uses different model numbers in europe vs NA. Its possible all FXZA stock (NA stock) comes from the same plant but not very likely. In the past Samsung has taken same models from different plants (out sourcing to different companies) and main reason for all the talk about samsung panel lottery in the past (and likely holds true now). 82” is probably uncommon enough that they all come from one location but thats also a guess. Realistically, like i said earlier, the only sure way of knowing (and easiest) is call the store you to buy from (or email, tweet, fb msg, etc).