• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2014 2:09 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 26, 2004
340 posts
1 upvote

What are the employee discounts for working in GAP/Banana Republic

I wonder what kind of discounts they got when you working in GAP/Banana Republic nowadays?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
36 upvotes
hotfishy wrote:I wonder what kind of discounts they got when you working in GAP/Banana Republic nowadays?

i heard BR was 30/40% off.. but even with that... the prices are still too expensive..
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
BR is 30% on all items and then each staffer gets 1-60% and 2-50% each month
May 3, 2006
185 posts
Mississauga
when I was a Gapper in 2000-2002 ... employee discounts were as follows:

6 TOPS/BOTTOM (any combination) per month @ 50% off regular*
*homestore only, IIRC

30% off anytime, any store.

There are other stipulations as well, like leather, cosmetics, Gap Body, etc.

If you worked the floor, Sales Associates were encouraged to sport current flow merchandise.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1478 posts
12 upvotes
dark169 wrote:BR is 30% on all items and then each staffer gets 1-60% and 2-50% each month
Banana Republic
5 - 50% each month - top or bottom
5 - 50% each month - accessories
1 - 60% on top, pant, accessory from a list each quarter
unlimited @ 30% off sale and stuff past the max items

You get discounts at Gap and Old Navy also.
Regardless of sale or non sale, Gap (30%) and Old Navy (20%)
Feb 20, 2005
647 posts
enigmatik wrote:when I was a Gapper in 2000-2002 ... employee discounts were as follows:

6 TOPS/BOTTOM (any combination) per month @ 50% off regular*
*homestore only, IIRC

30% off anytime, any store.

There are other stipulations as well, like leather, cosmetics, Gap Body, etc.

when I worked at GAP at 2002, it was 30% off at the Old Navy and BR, but only limited to 6 items. And you are not allow to buy gift cards asides from GAP with the employee discounts
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, with Ryan.
Do you have to be well-dressed to work there? Whenever I go there, everyone looks like they bought their clothes from there. Do they get them as uniforms, what happens if you wear something opposite?
Monday, April 10th 2006: Marks the day MuchMusic ruined themselves for years to come.
MOOD: Ready to get owned 7 ways from Sunday
Want to know all the Raptors Off Season Buzz..
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=278444
Feb 20, 2005
647 posts
Sajjad wrote:Do you have to be well-dressed to work there? Whenever I go there, everyone looks like they bought their clothes from there. Do they get them as uniforms, what happens if you wear something opposite?
yes, you have to wear clothes you bought from there when you work (or at least very similar to gap clothes, can't display other brand logos), preferably the new arrival ones too. That is why they offer you the employee discount, when you first start working there, you would notice that half of your paycheck goes into buying clothes unless you want to wear the same shirt to work everyday
May 3, 2006
185 posts
Mississauga
crabby1997 wrote:yes, you have to wear clothes you bought from there when you work (or at least very similar to gap clothes, can't display other brand logos), preferably the new arrival ones too. That is why they offer you the employee discount, when you first start working there, you would notice that half of your paycheck goes into buying clothes unless you want to wear the same shirt to work everyday
Moreso BR than the Gap (when it comes to being well dressed), that's why it always best to stick with classics for new hires like khakis or solid wovens.

It's a bit of crap-shoot as like the previous post mentioned, at least 50% of your paycheque will go to purchasing clothes ... that's I always considered my time at the Gap as more of social hang out than an actual job. LOL.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
crabby1997 wrote:yes, you have to wear clothes you bought from there when you work (or at least very similar to gap clothes, can't display other brand logos), preferably the new arrival ones too. That is why they offer you the employee discount, when you first start working there, you would notice that half of your paycheck goes into buying clothes unless you want to wear the same shirt to work everyday
my gf worked at BR, and when she quit she ended up with MORE money. most peopel find the discounts a great excuse to spend more and workign their tends to be a work for fasion type of job.

Although I shouldn't complian I got tons of br/gap cloths are pretty swanky prices filling my closest now :cheesygri

another perk is the staff see the stuff get marked down first, AND then get their discount so sometimes that $180 item is marked down to 80 then take another 30%off. Or sale items they get their discount ontop of the sales.
Dec 5, 2005
331 posts
5 upvotes
Oakville
I used to have a friend that worked at Banana Republic. She would buy gift certificates for me at 30% off. I used to buy a ton.

If anyone works there, I'd pay a fee for someone to buy Gift certificates for me.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18098 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
I believe it's 30% off gift cards if you're an employee there. That's why you see people selling them in BST forum for 20% off, they still make some money there. Any idea what's the limit for purchasing gift cards? Can they be purchased in any denomination?
Feb 15, 2014
1 posts
hotfishy wrote:
May 22nd, 2006 1:10 pm
I wonder what kind of discounts they got when you working in GAP/Banana Republic nowadays?
i work at Gap and the discount is 50% at Gap for me and then due to Gap Inc. we also get 50% off at banana Republic and 30% at Old Navy
× < >