Pets

What exactly is the policy or rules around bringing pets into stores/businesses?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2684 posts
468 upvotes

What exactly is the policy or rules around bringing pets into stores/businesses?

Some establishments actually have a sign that say "No Pets Allowed".
Other business have no such sign. So if there's no sign, am I allowed to bring my pet inside?
Are the rules set by each business or are there over-arching rules from each city or province?
28 replies
May 14, 2007
640 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely can't bring anywhere food is made or sold. I think the rest are up to the business owner.

I don't bring mine in unless there is a "dogs welcome" sign.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1978 upvotes
You can bring in service animals and that is it unless there is a sign saying it is ok to bring in pets. Why do people need to bring their pets into stores with them? No one wants your pet in the store. What's with these people who take their dogs with them everywhere? Are they the new helicopter pet parents? Leave your pet at home.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
965 upvotes
service animals only
pet stores allow certain animals
health department says no to nonservice animals in retail establishments
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20699 posts
1949 upvotes
I brought Mimi (small dog) into Burger King once waiting on order

Manager didn't kick me out
Jul 5, 2004
22071 posts
1990 upvotes
Rona allows dogs in their stores. I've heard Lowe's and home depot do as well, but that could be just rumor.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jul 23, 2009
392 posts
255 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Shaner wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 9:59 am
Rona allows dogs in their stores. I've heard Lowe's and home depot do as well, but that could be just rumor.
Home depot has signs for "No Pets"
Nov 20, 2013
67 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used to take my small dog to Home Depot every other weekend until my mom noticed the No Pets sign. After a month of leaving my dog at home, one of the cashiers asked why I stopped bringing him, and I mentioned their sign. She kind of pointed at a group of larger dogs that were in the store and said if they were there my small dog could be too. I asked a manager on the way out and he didn't really know what to say.

tl;dr Bringing pets into a place of business is always pretty YMMV.
Jun 15, 2015
2 posts
I worked at Home Depot they officially don't allow dogs but because they would rather you bring in the animal than leave it in the car they wont kick you out for having it. Its really just places that serve food that are regulated not to have dogs.
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15734 posts
1681 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I bought my puppy to superstore couple of times and every time I tried to avoid food section.
Prize Won:
(2015-2016) Nothing big/Small...
(2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
http://my.cutetaffy.com
Jun 16, 2013
23 posts
1 upvote
Why would you need to bring your dog into the store with you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2684 posts
468 upvotes
kwilson1503 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 6:04 pm
Why would you need to bring your dog into the store with you?
Because a lot of people have their dogs with them most of the day.
If you need to get something from a store and can't bring them in with you, then you're hooped.
There's never a good reason to leave a pet in a car.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5142 posts
657 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Magoomba wrote:
Jun 17th, 2015 12:46 am
Because a lot of people have their dogs with them most of the day.If you need to get something from a store and can't bring them in with you, then you're hooped.
There's never a good reason to leave a pet in a car.
What? I highly doubt that a lot of people have their dogs with them most of the day.