Pets

What exactly is the policy or rules around bringing pets into stores/businesses?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 24, 2006
541 posts
37 upvotes
Guelph, On
kwilson1503 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 6:04 pm
Why would you need to bring your dog into the store with you?
I agree - if you need something at a store go home and drop the animal off. I was at a Loblaws once - someone with a dog - scared people and people sneezing like me. People have allergies to dogs and don't belong in any store that serves or has food in it. Only dog or pet that should be allowed is a service animal.
I love animals - I have cats and one leashed trained to go out in public & socializes but I don't bring him while I am shopping or to pick up something. I leave him home or drop him off.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2206 posts
730 upvotes
Victoria
Husbamf wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 4:05 am
I used to take my small dog to Home Depot every other weekend until my mom noticed the No Pets sign. After a month of leaving my dog at home, one of the cashiers asked why I stopped bringing him, and I mentioned their sign. She kind of pointed at a group of larger dogs that were in the store and said if they were there my small dog could be too. I asked a manager on the way out and he didn't really know what to say.
Home Depot has an official no pet policy:

http://www.hardwaremerchandising.com/ne ... 22/?&er=NA
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2206 posts
730 upvotes
Victoria
I wasn't questioning you or being accusatory. I'm just surprised neither the employee or manager was aware of a nationwide policy.

Also wanted to confirm the policy with a link to dispel any rumours.
Jun 4, 2013
25 posts
11 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Home Depot used to allow pets in the store until a few years ago when some jerk brought their biting dog in and it bit someone. This was somewhere near or in Toronto. Now they have "No Pets" signs.

But Lowes let's me bring my dogs in.So I shop at Lowes instead of Home Depot.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1831 posts
591 upvotes
YMMV

If there is no sign, I would automatically assume no pets aside from pet stores.

I have seen signs saying don't leave your pet in your vehicle, bring them in the store with you.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1693 posts
170 upvotes
kwilson1503 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 6:04 pm
Why would you need to bring your dog into the store with you?

when they are puppies like 8 weeks old and you can't really leave them home alone for a long time. That's the reason I bring my pup around, but I don't bring him to the grocery stores or anything. Just when I need something at Canadian Tire or Winners etc
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Sep 24, 2006
541 posts
37 upvotes
Guelph, On
cns187 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2015 2:23 pm
when they are puppies like 8 weeks old and you can't really leave them home alone for a long time. That's the reason I bring my pup around, but I don't bring him to the grocery stores or anything. Just when I need something at Canadian Tire or Winners etc
doesn't matter what age pets belong at home - there are so many people with allergies like myself - just dog fur in the air I would suffer and have a asthma attacks or my friend who sees a dog near her and she has a severe panic attack. I have a cat leash trained, perfect in public but so many people are allergic to cats. You have to think of others.
Nov 20, 2013
67 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
anastasia1009 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2015 8:14 pm
doesn't matter what age pets belong at home - there are so many people with allergies like myself - just dog fur in the air I would suffer and have a asthma attacks or my friend who sees a dog near her and she has a severe panic attack. I have a cat leash trained, perfect in public but so many people are allergic to cats. You have to think of others.
I understand where you're coming from, as my best friend is usually quite scared of dogs after a traumatic event. However, it's kind of a double edge sword. Depending on the circumstance, it could be unfair to the pet to leave it at home (such as the puppy scenario) and perhaps no one is available for the x amount of time that you're at Lowes.

I'm highly allergic to scents, so I'm weary of a bunch of stores. And women. Or teenage boys. You remember when boys spraying Axe everywhere was a fad? That was a bad time for me.

What it boils down to is that you can't really expect strangers to accommodate your allergies/problems. She's lactose intolerant, he's allergic to preservatives, they can't have peanuts or shellfish, someone's allergic to pets and has hay fever. Severe phobias. The list goes on. Strangers do have to be understanding and compromise, though. Owners should look for alternatives first (without compromising the health or safety of the pet), pets should always be leashed/in a carrier so you can keep as much distance as you'd like, they definitely shouldn't be near food, etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1693 posts
170 upvotes
I feel like it is up to the pet owner to be considerate to others around them. You can't just let them roam around and what not. Just the other day, I brought my lil pup to winners to grab something but I was sure to stay a decent distance away from people and I carried him the whole time.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
May 27, 2017
1 posts
Another issue is pet owners who havent taken the time to teach their pet proper public manners. Biting pets lead to pet bans. Its not the dogs fault. As for allergies I understand that people have allergies but husbamf nailed that problem head on. I have a puppy who at one point will be too big to bring to stores (great dane) but as a puppy she has problems in kennels or being left unkenneled in the house. Ive tried to accommadate her but shes attached to people. Your breed of dog may not be able to be alone. My husband has a deaf border collie, who needs his guidance fpr everything.
Aug 25, 2011
153 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Home depot is kinda hit & miss

I've taken my dog in so many times then the odd time I'll have someone saying he's not allowed..
I have a 6 month old toy poodle that I put into a backpack when I go shopping most employees love it... I'll get the odd one that says not allowed