Pets

What exactly is the policy or rules around bringing pets into stores/businesses?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 12:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7321 posts
4229 upvotes
Edmonton
ducxnguyen wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:59 pm
What is the difference with service dogs and a regular well behaved dog? If you're allergic to a dog then you'll be allergic to a service dog.
The difference? Besides the fact that one dog is for a documented need, vs a "nice-to-have"?

C
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2610 posts
737 upvotes
Newmarket
george__ wrote:
Jun 14th, 2015 1:15 am
I brought Mimi (small dog) into Burger King once waiting on order

Manager didn't kick me out
that's too bad
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
ducxnguyen wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:59 pm
What is the difference with service dogs and a regular well behaved dog? If you're allergic to a dog then you'll be allergic to a service dog.
The idea is that a service dog helps the person with their 'human right' to support their disability. Like making everything wheelchair mandatory. The needs of the human trumps the inconvenience of allergies or potential urine/poo poo/fleas and other contaminants a dog may carry in the store. Now from what I know, many people say their dog is a 'service' dog because it helps them with anxiety or whatever, but may not be 'certified'. To me, a service dog is mainly for vision impaired people, but apparently it's abused by many people. "I'm depressed I'm not with my dog... therefore my dog is my service dog"
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
Husbamf wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 6:15 am
I understand where you're coming from, as my best friend is usually quite scared of dogs after a traumatic event. However, it's kind of a double edge sword. Depending on the circumstance, it could be unfair to the pet to leave it at home (such as the puppy scenario) and perhaps no one is available for the x amount of time that you're at Lowes.

I'm highly allergic to scents, so I'm weary of a bunch of stores. And women. Or teenage boys. You remember when boys spraying Axe everywhere was a fad? That was a bad time for me.

What it boils down to is that you can't really expect strangers to accommodate your allergies/problems. She's lactose intolerant, he's allergic to preservatives, they can't have peanuts or shellfish, someone's allergic to pets and has hay fever. Severe phobias. The list goes on. Strangers do have to be understanding and compromise, though. Owners should look for alternatives first (without compromising the health or safety of the pet), pets should always be leashed/in a carrier so you can keep as much distance as you'd like, they definitely shouldn't be near food, etc.
^^ This pretty much sums it up.

There's no pleasing everyone. I can't stand fragrant perfumes or bad body odour, but that sort of stuff can't be banned. You just learn to steer clear of things you don't want to be close to and let other people live.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3392 posts
618 upvotes
London
Saw a girl with a labradoodle in Superstore yesterday, no vest or anything to indicate a service dog. I was checking out so not sure if she was able to keep it with her. I would NEVER think to bring my dog into the grocery store. wtf?

FYI Bass Pros allows and welcomes dogs.
Nov 3, 2017
1 posts
That’s not true I bring my 4 pound toy poodle to stores/shops and I’m afraid employees will kick him out however most store employees and almost every customer that sees him popping out of my jacket or in my arms even in a grocery store comes up and pets him.. I don’t know why people say it’s rude or disrespectful to the other customers because everyone that sees my dog has to come up to me and start up a conversation about how adorable he is.
Nov 4, 2013
15 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Don't bring your **** dog in business if is not a service dog. It crystal clear, you don't need it and we don't need it. Stop being self centered. 5 years back nobody's did that. Let me repeat one last time DON'T BRING YOUR DOG IN BUSINESS. Said anything you want, I am right and you will never be.
Apr 19, 2018
56 posts
82 upvotes
The law permits no pets in stores selling or serving food except service animals. That some employees or stores choose to ignore such violations doesn't make it acceptable. My dog stays home if weather doesn't allow me to leave it in the car when running errands on the rare occasion the dog has to be with me. Some stores, like pet stores and Home Hardware do welcome pets but may also post acceptable behaviour rules.

Unless I know of a store's pet policy ahead of time, I don't presume to be entitled to impose my pet on others.
Last edited by Enlgma on Apr 25th, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 10, 2017
990 posts
410 upvotes
GTA
The reason why lots of stores are not permitting dogs/pets is because behaviour, ideally you want to keep your dog on a tight leash and not let the dog interact with anyone. If someone has an allergy to scents, it's less likely that they will walk into a mist of it or have direct contact compared to a dog that was not held carefully by the owner. Service dogs are allowed because they are behaved, calm, and trained not to interact with anything but the owner and obstacles to allow the owner to enter an area.

So this ban happened because of owners not being in control with their dog around others, this small group ruined it for everyone, so no need to have a huge debate blaming everyone for everything.

One thing is for sure is to keep your pets away from food, it's definitely a health issue as fur from a not so calm dog can fly into the food, its a rule that needs to be enforced, but employees don't follow their own rules sometimes so you won't get flak because you are bringing in something they find cute.

If you do bring in your pets into a store, remember to keep the pet on a tight leash, do not let it browse merchandise, respect the space to others, if you see person is tensing up then leave the area to be the better person. A pet is your responsibility, a person's reaction is an interaction with you (not your pet, legally), if its not going in a good direction quickly stop it/leave before it escalates.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jul 7, 2018
1 posts
I bring my German Shepherd where I can take her. She understands she needs be good and gets a treat after we shop. She lays down while I make my decisions and pay for purchases. We wait and allow other shoppers to pass and she her good behaviour. People and children ask to pet her and she sits for them to do so. At some cashiers they offer treats as she sits patiently.
Dog owners do this so our dogs can socialize and be comfortable with large groups of people and LEARN NOT BE VICIOUS!!!.
Images
  • IMG_20180616_100933228.jpg
Nov 2, 2018
1 posts
I have small pup to small to be left home . took her to walmart london ont. did not make big show about having her there. kept in small soft side carrier in cart. she was better behaved than the kids running around the store heard screaming and crying. what is the big deal . if your pet is well behaved then let them in the store , if not then tell them they have to leave. that goes for the screaming crying brats too. i am sick of the way kids behave in public places. poor parenting for sure. i will take a store full of puppies anyday and leave the kids at home . so there.
Sep 16, 2006
870 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
Magoomba wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 4:41 pm
Some establishments actually have a sign that say "No Pets Allowed".
Other business have no such sign. So if there's no sign, am I allowed to bring my pet inside?
Are the rules set by each business or are there over-arching rules from each city or province?
Generally speaking you can't take your pet into any business unless they expressly say that they allow pets. If your dog is a registered guide dog all businesses are required by law to let your dog in. Otherwise, no. Petsmart and Pet Valu let you bring your dog into the store, because they are pet stores. Not all pet stores allow this.
It is actually against the law to bring a non-service animal of any kind into any store where food is sold, including convenience stores.