Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR

what to expect from Ultrasound?

My ATL was on the high side so need a ultrasound to see what is up with the liver. What can I expect from an Ultrasound? How long does it take? Will they check the prostate and bladder or it is only organs? Have to strip butt naked or what?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
If this is a legitimate question, I suggest you call the lab and ask. I have had ultrasounds and always knew what to expect before leaving my doctor's office.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
What kind of ultrasound are you doing? Way back when I had an abdomen ultrasound and it quite fast (less than 30min, but the wait was like 30min too) and I only had to remove my shirt.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
Blanche123 wrote: If this is a legitimate question, I suggest you call the lab and ask. I have had ultrasounds and always knew what to expect before leaving my doctor's office.
Of course this is a legit question. First time having this done. Going to have it done at the hospital so they will send the results to my doctor.
uber_shnitz wrote: What kind of ultrasound are you doing? Way back when I had an abdomen ultrasound and it quite fast (less than 30min, but the wait was like 30min too) and I only had to remove my shirt.
yes it is for the ab and they say generally about 30 minutes for the process but it can take longer if there is issues. For the bladder and prostate might need to drop the pants was what i was told.
Apr 10, 2005
649 posts
147 upvotes
Montreal
It'll depend on the lab what they'll have you do. Anticipate having at least to expose your stomach, but very likely they'll have you change into a gown to get full exposure (from just below your ribs to around your bladder.

The procedure is non invasive and you shouldn't experience pain (though if they push the probe against an area that is inflamed, it's possible). They'll put some gel on your stomach to help the probe 'see' and then you'll just feel the movement of the probe against your skin.

They'll usually look at every organ in your abdomen during the ultrasound (though it's possible they'll just examine the liver, typically it's a complete abdominal exam). They'll typically be able to see your liver, spleen, kidneys, bladder, etc. A transabdominal ultrasound wouldn't be the ideal approach to look at the prostate.

Hope this helps
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
I've had ultrasound in the area. I was gowned. There was some discomfort from the pushing, but I wouldn't call it pain. I think for me the gel was cold.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Forgot to ask if this is the type of Ultrasound that requires that you drink a ton of water an hour before? Actually every "ultrasound" I have had done has been this type. I always ask for the first appointment after the tech's lunch to make certain that she is on time and if so I start drinking the water at the appropriate time. By the way, the hour that the water has to be in your system does not include the 10 minutes that they give you to change into your gown - I asked. That 10 minutes counts! I hate that test.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ultrasound is nothing. Big deal. Dont see why you need it done in a hospital. The actual procedure can be minutes to about 30 max. It depends what the doc is looking for. Any private labs all over the city can do it just fine and no different than a hospital. What they are looking for are signs of physical damage to your internal organs (do a google search under images will show you all the internal organs). ALT is a chemical that is released by your liver. Significant increase maybe symptoms of liver damage such as fatty liver, thrombosis, cirrhosis, etc. As for prostate, you will have to pull down pants up to top of your genital area. They use the ultrasound reader (ball like instrument) around your lower groin area. The image of prostate will show up like all your other organs. Then a radiologist will read it and send results to your doc. I believe the pelvic ultrasound is the test that requires you to drink glasses of water before procedure. Majority requires at least 8hrs fasting which is why they have u do it in the morning (unless you wanna starve longer for a test later in the day, lol).
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Totally normal. The size difference in your report is just about 1 cm and no cause for concern at all. Minor size differences in many body parts, including kidneys, is normal and expected.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)