• Nov 13th, 2018 4:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 11, 2018
10 posts
9 upvotes

What filter to aquarium?

Hello everyone!
I am setting and aquarium and I wanted to ask you what filter is the best? I found two brands that are the best: Aquael and Aqua Szut. I found that filter Aquaszut Tubro 550 N will be sufficient for my 72L aquarium but I wanted to get sure. Maybe you have other types?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3517 posts
743 upvotes
GTA
I've honestly never even heard of those brands you mentioned. And depending what you're keeping in the aquarium, you typically can't go wrong with something like an AquaClear filter. Simple, effective, and no filter cartridges to replace.

If you really want something cheap, even a sponge filter with an air pump will work fine for a lot of types of nano fish.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11101 posts
4159 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
It really depends on what kind of fish you plan to keep. African Cichlids will require more filtration compared to smaller fish like tetra's etc. A good tip is to use Pool Filter sand instead of gravel which will keep the bottom quite a bit cleaner. Dirt doesn't get trapped in sand as easily as gravel. Also for background I use black foam core poster board )$1.50 ea at dollarama) which is much cheaper than backgrounds the pet shops sell. It looks surprisingly nice against the light colored sand bottom.
Sep 16, 2006
870 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
bug wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 2:06 pm
It really depends on what kind of fish you plan to keep. African Cichlids will require more filtration compared to smaller fish like tetra's etc. A good tip is to use Pool Filter sand instead of gravel which will keep the bottom quite a bit cleaner. Dirt doesn't get trapped in sand as easily as gravel. Also for background I use black foam core poster board )$1.50 ea at dollarama) which is much cheaper than backgrounds the pet shops sell. It looks surprisingly nice against the light colored sand bottom.
Way to go off topic and not answer the question..
Also the only africans he can keep in a 72L (15 Gallon) are shellies, and they hardly eat anything.
Last edited by Mistersprinkles on Nov 5th, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2006
870 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
TooB61 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 3:53 pm
Hello everyone!
I am setting and aquarium and I wanted to ask you what filter is the best? I found two brands that are the best: Aquael and Aqua Szut. I found that filter Aquaszut Tubro 550 N will be sufficient for my 72L aquarium but I wanted to get sure. Maybe you have other types?
Learn about the nitrogen cycle and how to properly service an aquarium before you start. Don't be one of these imbeciles that totally gut their tank and put their fish in a glass bowl every two weeks and then wonder why everything is dead after two months.
For a 72L all you really need is an Aquaclear 50. The two filters you mentioned I've never heard of, and I worked in aquariums servicing for the better part of a decade so they're probably trash.
Get the Aquaclear 50, get an extra sponge for it, and run it sponge, sponge, biomax. If you have very small fish or shrimp, get a pre-filter for the intake tube. Don't use carbon it's pointless and takes valuable minerals out of the water.
I suggest that you get Seachem Prime water conditioner as a 500mL bottle will last you probably 3 years with a tank that size.
Dec 1, 2006
762 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
never heard of the brands you mentioned, but you could maybe look for a used Fluval 206 canister filter
Sep 16, 2006
870 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
bloodylankan wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 4:23 pm
never heard of the brands you mentioned, but you could maybe look for a used Fluval 206 canister filter
For a 20 gallon??? Why???
Dec 1, 2006
762 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:38 pm
For a 20 gallon??? Why???
I've always used and like canister filters better than hang on ones, just my opinion.

Yes for his needs the Aquaclear 50 will do the job too.
But I think if he's able to find a good deal on a canister, it'll give him more benefits
- more space for filter media
- I believe the the impellers last longer on these are less fragile
- your intake and outflow are separate location
- less maintenance
- gives the flexibility to increase tank size in future
Sep 16, 2006
870 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
bloodylankan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:59 pm
I've always used and like canister filters better than hang on ones, just my opinion.

Yes for his needs the Aquaclear 50 will do the job too.
But I think if he's able to find a good deal on a canister, it'll give him more benefits
- more space for filter media
- I believe the the impellers last longer on these are less fragile
- your intake and outflow are separate location
- less maintenance
- gives the flexibility to increase tank size in future
Those are all good points but you can extend the intake on an aquaclear, also maintenance is much easier and faster than a canister, as all you have to do is lift the media "tray" out of the aquaclear. There are no valves to close, lids to remove, etc.
Also you can easily order replacement motors or impellers for Aquaclear filters and they are affordable. I have also run aquaclears for a very long time with no motor issues at all.