What food goes on sale after Christmas?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2020 3:14 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I just bought 2 fresh turkeys at costco, $20 off each one, so they were $10 and $11, they are just over 12lbs... one for tomorrow, one for the freezer. Most I've seen before was $15 off.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Zehrs didn't have much on: just PC chocolate-caramel-pecan "Turtles" 400g for $3.50.

PC Slow-Smoked Brisket Burgers still on for $4.99/6-pk (reg. $12.99) and they restocked...sale is on to 1/5/17.

No deals on bakery/fruitcakes or deli yet. I guess I have to wait for New Year's to pass...

SDM has a load of PC chocolates on for -60% ($2-$4) but most of the name brand stuff is gone, save Lindt. I got PC macadamia nut "Turtles" for $4. Eos 3-pk lip gloss (Grapefruit, Orange, Summer Fruit) on for $4.99 and many gift packs on for 50%.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Superstore had all seasonal chocolates marked down except for the PC line. Got Guinness Truffles, half price, Lindt truffles $7.44. Big boxes of Elmer chocolates were $4 something.

No markdowns on fruicake, so splurged $6.99 on a pecan topped Farmers Market, going to brush it with spiced rum for a few days.

Fresh turkeys 99 cents a pound at Independent.

All holiday baking, including Selection fruit cakes half price at Metro.

Those brisket burgers are good. Have to check for them tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
bonterra wrote: Have you ever made your own? The kind where you make it in July (or so, not quite sure) and then start brushing it with rum until Christmas? I never have but am thinking of doing it.
I never had but my mother used to make 3 every year, I remember her mixing the batter in a huge roasting pan as she didn't have a bowl big enough. I've never been a huge fruit cake fan but decided this year that I need to make a plum pudding for next Christmas like my Grandmother used to. She would make it about a year in advance and serve it with hard sauce. Yum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
bonterra wrote: Have you ever made your own? The kind where you make it in July (or so, not quite sure) and then start brushing it with rum until Christmas? I never have but am thinking of doing it.
I used to make fruit cake every year, not the one that you brush with rum every month or whatever.. I made our family traditional white fruit cake that had rum soaked raisins and after it sits for a month or more the rum came out nicely in the cake.

Growing up with this particular recipe made me only like this type of fruit cake, much different than the store bought ones. But it is a lot of work making it, hard to mix and a very large batch. I used to make it when my mom no longer could as it was my dads favourite christmas treat, but even a bit too much for me to do any more. I'm sure I will make it again one day.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Look for anything @ Costco with a .97 at the end of the price. That's their code for "It's gotta go...NOW!!" (mostly seasonal stuff like fruit cake and eggnog, but still great clearance deals!)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Nov 23, 2012
602 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Keelie wrote: I just bought 2 fresh turkeys at costco, $20 off each one, so they were $10 and $11, they are just over 12lbs... one for tomorrow, one for the freezer. Most I've seen before was $15 off.
Wow that's less than $1 per lb. The smallest turkey I saw was 46 - 20 = 26 for 8.25kg.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
Costco has fresh turkeys $20 off today.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
I'm addicted to prime rib! I just bought 2 huge ones from Walmart ... 4.99/lb.
I sliced them up into steaks, vacuumed and froze them. Now I have delicious cheap steak. I sliced off the bone... Gonna smoke them and make dinosaur ribs. (its what my nephew called the left over prime rib bones on Christmas... I thought it was funny...).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
rliuthu wrote: Wow that's less than $1 per lb. The smallest turkey I saw was 46 - 20 = 26 for 8.25kg.
We were there early and they were just putting some out, there were a few between $30-$32... anything bigger than 10-12lbs is way too much for us. Just cooked one tonight and it was delicious!! Super moist.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
UrbanPoet wrote: I'm addicted to prime rib! I just bought 2 huge ones from Walmart ... 4.99/lb.
I sliced them up into steaks, vacuumed and froze them. Now I have delicious cheap steak. I sliced off the bone... Gonna smoke them and make dinosaur ribs. (its what my nephew called the left over prime rib bones on Christmas... I thought it was funny...).
Love prime rib! And it is so good in the smoker.
That's my 2cents worth
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote: I'm addicted to prime rib! I just bought 2 huge ones from Walmart ... 4.99/lb.
...the problem I found with Walmart PrimeRib is that all of their meat is labelled 'mechanically tenderized'. I'm not sure if that's true for a bone-in roast, but it still bothers me when I'm cooking meat to a rare 125deg.

My local Zehrs was overstocked with PrimeRibs from last week's X-Mas promo and was selling them off (dated BB Dec 29th) for $3.44/lb. This was at Clair Road/Guelph.

The leftover turkey is going in the freezer for soup and it's PrimeRib Wednesday at my house tonite! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: Walmart already had their fruitcakes at $1.97 on the 24th but they were really cheap grotty ones.

The fruitcake mountain at Zehrs didn't seem to move or diminish at all to date, so I am going to go check that out on the 26th. They have some nice stuff, and I would be pleased to have it at 50%. SDM too. I was there today and it was pretty darned picked over, but there may be some chocolates I am into. Most of the mainstream ones like Quality Street are already sold out. Last year Quality Street 725g went for $9.99 at a few stores; this year the best deal was $11.99 3-day sale at Loblaws/Zehrs 3 weeks prior. Tough year for chocolates. Turtles went for $6.99 at their cheapest last year; I haven't seen them this low, this. I survived the season on gifted chocolates but I would like to pick some up if I find a decent deal.
bonterra wrote: PC Farmers Market and Laura Secord are the best fruitcakes. I had a sample of the Costco fruitcake yesterday and it was dry. The PC one with marzipan icing is particularly good.
Thank You guys.I prefer the darker fruit cakes than the lighter ones.
I usually make my own plum pudding style fruit cake but not this year.
I did make one in summer when I visited my sister but that was devoured in November after a good soaking of Brandy from August through to November.

I agree the Costco cake is dry but the amount of fruits and nuts in there, that deal cannot be beat for the price.
A friend of mine even turned one of these cakes into crumbs and introduced it back into fruit cake batter and baked it into a moister cake.
Instead of baking your own cake and basting with rum or brandy from six months in advance, you can easily do this with a Costco cake to add moisture and flavor.
Nov 23, 2012
602 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
PC chocolate-pecan "Turtle" is 0.94 at bayview village loblaws. Price tag is 2.44 but scans at 0.94
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Went to Costco on the queensway today and apart from being unusually not undercrowded for a Saturday, there were no Kirkland Fruitcakes left.:( The table where it usually is at a was bare. If anyone spots any in the GTA in the coming week please let me know.
Though I fear all may be gone or thrown out.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I used to always make my own pudding and fruitcake but am lazy now. So I order the Marks and Spencer ones, straight from the UK, at a store here in T.O that imports British products. They were both really good, as always. The "Farmers Market" brand fruitcake at Loblaws was horrible- we threw it out. Even a good soaking with brandy couldn't save it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2670 posts
2789 upvotes
Montreal, QC
chocolate, candy, cookies
Grabbed some chocolate and candy from WM last week, would go to costco see if any chocolate on sale this week
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Alekxqin wrote: would go to costco see if any chocolate on sale this week
Was at Costco yesterday, not a single Christmas item left. But they had bathing suits, and lots of furniture.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2670 posts
2789 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bonterra wrote: Was at Costco yesterday, not a single Christmas item left. But they had bathing suits, and lots of furniture.
Any chocolate left?
Lots of Lindt and Ferrero chocolates on sale till mid Jan last year.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Alekxqin wrote: Any chocolate left?
Lots of Lindt and Ferrero chocolates on sale till mid Jan last year.
I didn't see any. The whole seasonal aisle was furniture. Maybe there was a bit tucked into the candy/snack aisle but it wasn't noticeable.

They were sampling the Swiss Delice chocolate squares.