None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2433 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary
knuks101 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 12:14 am
I'm a newbie here and did a search for Air Miles. I've been collecting them for more than 10 years and I think I only redeemed them once, so now I have enough for two flights to the Caribbean. I've been playing around with their site for a while now, but it seems that no matter what date I put, a flight to St. Thomas (USVI) is just not available. I think that's ridiculous, given that three of the Air Miles flight partners fly to St. Thomas (Air Canada, Westjet and United). I tried a few different Caribbean island and some of them work, some of them don't. Any tips? We're thinking next winter, so I still have plenty of time, but I tried some dates for this winter and spring, just to see what came up.

BTW, I'm planning on using up all our Air Miles and then get rid of the whole program.
You don't have to do that just don't go out of you way to collect, it does not cost you anything. I pretty well used all my for hotels this year.
Jan 31, 2013
837 posts
88 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
true, I may use them for gift card or something. I actually was able to find some flight to Puerto Rico , and from there on we may be able to get flights to the Virgin Islands. Although I think it 's ridiculous that we have to pay for those, given that WJ flies to St. Thomas!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
1808 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I collect aimiles exclusively for flights. My girlfriend lives in the U.S. so it helps with visits. If I were to pay for the flight it would cost a little over $1000 in low season. It costs me 1400 AM + $139 in fees with airmiles. Now I am no expert in figuring out which is the best deal but considering 95AM gets you $10 in cash, to get an $860 card (the $1000 value of flight - fees) one would have to redeedm 8170 airmiles....Obviously for me it is a good deal for flights.

I collect AM from LCBO, Metro and Rona (maybe Staples now too). I only really go out of my way to collect when there is a bonus sale and the items are something I will use. For instance, Metro had once had a sale on Pop...if you bought 5 cases @3.99 you would get 50 airmiles. I ended up buying about 30 cases, spent $120 and got 300 airmiles. The pop was cheaper, I knew I would drink it, and I knew I would soon use the miles. If I had bought 28 cases of pop and spent $560 I would have earned 1400 AM...enough for my flight. As in I could buy $600 of pop and get a free flight.

I do not like the direction AM is going though. The reward options are declining and the costs increasing. I'm even having problems with flights....one day flights are listed, the next day they are gone, and for some reason the only flights I can book for an upcoming trip are on Wednesdays....no flights on anything but Wednesday, really? I am reducing my participation and number of saved miles. I now collect just the point of getting the flight I want because I am concerned that soon enough they will offer nothing for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
1808 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Oh and I would suggest the rewards costs should be declining considering the free market research that stems from AM programme. I get coupons from Metro that are tailored to my shopping patterns. That means AM is being used to collect market research on all of us. We should get some benefit from this.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1645 posts
207 upvotes
silky28 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 2:26 am
My girlfriend lives in the U.S. so it helps with visits. If I were to pay for the flight it would cost a little over $1000 in low season.
I am just curious about how a flight from Toronto to the US could be $1000 in low season? If it is really that expensive it might be worth it to fly from Buffalo.
Mar 9, 2010
435 posts
144 upvotes
Airmiles is terrible. I just dumped two Airmiles credit cards and have about 12,000 miles to get rid of. The problem is, if I can find a flight I still pay insane fees. Merchandise is over valued ( I need a pressure washer but for the amount of points, I can get $250+ in gift cards instead of the $160 pressure washer). But the gift cards are only so-so now that the good ones switched to cash rewards. I definitely won't be going out of my way to get miles.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
1808 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
eiad77 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 8:50 am
I am just curious about how a flight from Toronto to the US could be $1000 in low season? If it is really that expensive it might be worth it to fly from Buffalo.
Because it involves a connection to a regional airport that is pretty expensive. I used to fly from Buffalo but those prices have increased. The buffalo flight is about $650, involves an extra connection plus it costs me another $60 to drive there, I have to leave in advance and don't get home until later.

If I were paying for the flight outright I would go back to Buffalo.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
1808 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
jdmhfx wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 12:13 pm
Airmiles is terrible. I just dumped two Airmiles credit cards and have about 12,000 miles to get rid of. The problem is, if I can find a flight I still pay insane fees. Merchandise is over valued ( I need a pressure washer but for the amount of points, I can get $250+ in gift cards instead of the $160 pressure washer). But the gift cards are only so-so now that the good ones switched to cash rewards. I definitely won't be going out of my way to get miles.
This is why I won't stockpile airmiles. What good does have 12000 so you if you cannot cash them? Plus we know that the rewards are only going to get worse and more expensive. I would just cash them in for airmiles cash.
Mar 9, 2010
435 posts
144 upvotes
If I could cash them in for cash I would. But it is too late to just shift points.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2433 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary
jdmhfx wrote:
Mar 30th, 2013 3:45 pm
If I could cash them in for cash I would. But it is too late to just shift points.
Use these for hotel stays, reasonable value.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
1808 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Just use them for airmiles cash for groceries and gas.
× < >