Fashion & Beauty

What is the going rate for 18K white gold per gram ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2009 5:19 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes

3 replies
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
It depends who you ask.

If you calculate based on the going price of gold, which is ~900 USD per ounce today, then it's ~ 30 Canadian dollars per gram (75% purity, exchange rate ~1.25 CDN = 1 USD, 28.3 g = 1 ounce).

This number is meaningless without a context. If you want to sell some old gold jewellery as scrap, the value can be about half that (~$15/gram), but if you are buying something that's made out of 18K gold you will have to pay much more than $30/gram. Whether gold is white or yellow really does not make a difference.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
dog_mumu wrote: It depends who you ask.

If you calculate based on the going price of gold, which is ~900 USD per ounce today, then it's ~ 30 Canadian dollars per gram (75% purity, exchange rate ~1.25 CDN = 1 USD, 28.3 g = 1 ounce).

This number is meaningless without a context. If you want to sell some old gold jewellery as scrap, the value can be about half that (~$15/gram), but if you are buying something that's made out of 18K gold you will have to pay much more than $30/gram. Whether gold is white or yellow really does not make a difference.
I want to buy a gold necklace .The asking price is $1500 it`s 30 grams.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote: I want to buy a gold necklace .The asking price is $1500 it`s 30 grams.
The price of finished jewellery depends heavily on the design, since you are paying not just for the gold but also for the labour. Whether you are getting a good deal on that necklace or not depends on how much similar necklaces cost from other jewellers and how much you actually like its design.

If you have a picture of that necklace, post it and I can see if what you're getting looks like a good price for it or not.

If you ever were to sell it back as scrap gold, you would only get a fraction of the cost back, similarly to how scrap cars don't cost nearly as much as new ones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)