Computers & Electronics

What is going on with slow shipments from China?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 2:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
BobSagget wrote: lol i am still waiting on parcels from the Nov 11th sale last year on Ali Express.
atleast they give you epost options. Don't most of those resellers use chinabrands wholesalers etc where they pay for faster shipping then it still takes forever to get to the actual buyer?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: I just ordered a used CPU off eBay from South Korea. Shipping is Economy International, non-tracked.

Should I expect this to also take 2 months? Or is Korea any faster than China?
Hmm... The tracking sites claim my shipment is an EMS shipment. Yet, my listed target delivery date from the eBay info is between mid-February and early March.

I see earlier in the thread people have been getting EMS shipments in a couple of weeks. Is that still true? That would be good, assuming my shipment really is EMS. (The seller made no mention of this. It's just that the tracking sites are saying the tracking number is an EMS tracking number.)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I've lately gotten all my shipments within 2 weeks to 1 month, as before, no more delays here.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: I've lately gotten all my shipments within 2 weeks to 1 month, as before, no more delays here.
Sweet.

I have an old Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz 6-core CPU on order from Korea. It would be nice to get it in this machine sooner rather than later.

Ordered last week. Here’s hoping for delivery by mid Feb.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: I've lately gotten all my shipments within 2 weeks to 1 month, as before, no more delays here.
EugW wrote: Sweet.

I have an old Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz 6-core CPU on order from Korea. It would be nice to get it in this machine sooner rather than later.

Ordered last week. Here’s hoping for delivery by mid Feb.
Apparently it likely left Korea by air on Jan. 22.

Tracking2.png

However, the people over in the Shopping Forum thread aren't as optimistic as AncasterRFD for shipping times. We shall see.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Just received an item shipped by "China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus", left China by air on Dec. 26 according to tracking, delivered today March 1 in Canada.

The CBSA must have a gigantic backlog of packages that grows every day.

This is a real problem with AliExpress and their 60-day purchase protection limit. The last 2 items I have ordered have taken over 60 days to arrive in Canada, and they still don't seem to have a simple mechanism for extending the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2123 posts
1605 upvotes
Montreal
^I remember it being fairly easy to extend the buyer protection. I think you can do it through the Open Dispute page or contact the seller. I can't remember the exact process, but I've done it in the past.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I had 3 packages that shipped from the US during last few days of December and first days of January. They arrived this week. That's 2 months. I guess it wasn't an Asia only issue. If you order something with super cheap non trackable shipping, customers/canada post really do take their sweet time delivering it.

edit. Was speaking with a friend about it today. He was telling me that customs says it's not their fault and that it's Canada post not having having the manpower to deal the amount of goods coming in. IE it clears customs fairly quick but then gets stuck in a Canada Post warehouse. I'm guessing Canada Post doesn't get much money for delivering stuff send via super cheap post, so they prioritize the stuff they do get money for delivering (like domestic packages, and international packages used with more expensive shipping options). I also didn't realize the Asian stuff ships to the East. Living in BC I assumed it would come over the closest directin which is flying over the pacific. Apparently Asian stuff (at least via cheap shipping) goes East to Europe, then eventually arrives at Canada Post's Montreal facility which is pretty jammed up.
Last edited by zod on Mar 2nd, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
clee290 wrote: ^I remember it being fairly easy to extend the buyer protection. I think you can do it through the Open Dispute page or contact the seller. I can't remember the exact process, but I've done it in the past.
There is an button to extend buyer protection. The problem is that it doesn't extend it automatically - what it does is send a message to the seller, and waits for the seller to agree. If you do this in the last few days of buyer protection, they just let the buyer protection run out before responding. AliExpress doesn't recognize an extension-request-in-progress when it comes to the 60-day limit. So basically you have to know to do this well before 60 days, and be prepared to open a dispute if you don't get a response in time.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
I did notice my china small orders were coming in slower right now than usual. It really fluctuates though, few months ago it was quick, then slowed down, got quick again, and now back to slow.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
I am currently getting China Post to US address very fast - two to three weeks. AFAIK it is a Canadian /Canada Post issue
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
zod wrote: I had 3 packages that shipped from the US last few days of December and first days of January. They arrived this week. That's 2 months. I guess it wasn't an Asia only issue. If you order something with super cheap non trackable tracking, customers/canada post really do take their sweet time
That would drive me nuts. I just ordered some auto parts and sent it to CBI (I'll be in the US over 8d to save customs), tracking it took 2d to the postal box. I didn't know non-tracked items destined to cross the border would be held up at customs so long, wow.

fwiw, all my asia packages are still getting to me one month or less.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
radeonboy wrote: I did notice my china small orders were coming in slower right now than usual. It really fluctuates though, few months ago it was quick, then slowed down, got quick again, and now back to slow.
Of course it is slow now. It is still within the new year period (15th of Jan in lunar calendar) . I can imagine the backlog in mainland China is huge
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Of course it is slow now. It is still within the new year period (15th of Jan in lunar calendar) . I can imagine the backlog in mainland China is huge
Anything coming in now would have left China in late Dec/early Jan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Exp315 wrote: Anything coming in now would have left China in late Dec/early Jan.
That sounds right
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-0 ... 942382.htm
Million and million of migrant workers from countryside of PRC working in the city were on their way back to their home provinces. That starts around Feb 1.
The situation is compounded by the fact (or rumor) that Custom Canada is siding with the Retail council of Canada
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/delivery-delays-o ... -1.3441778
Daniel

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
Bought a pair of gloves from AliExpress last October and received them in early November. I liked them enough to buy another pair in another colour in mid November.
Anyways, fast forward to TODAY and they finally arrived!! Crazy long shipping time.

The package says it came via air mail and has a shipping date stamp of last November, so it most likely sat in Canadian customs for months. Which is strange because I've ordered stuff in Jan/Feb that I have received already.

I honestly chocked this up to a loss and figured they were never coming.

I am still waiting on 3 items shipped during the November 11th sale. I also chocked them up to a loss, but if the freakin gloves finally came maybe there's still hope for the other stuff.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
BobSagget wrote:

I am still waiting on 3 items shipped during the November 11th sale. I also chocked them up to a loss, but if the freakin gloves finally came maybe there's still hope for the other stuff.
Just to reply to my own comment. Yep looks like stuff is finally arriving. I received 3 parcels today. 1 that I ordered a month ago and 2 from mid November. Crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
BobSagget wrote: Just to reply to my own comment. Yep looks like stuff is finally arriving. I received 3 parcels today. 1 that I ordered a month ago and 2 from mid November. Crazy.
Nov 11 ..that is a long time last year.
At least you have got.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote: I received 3 parcels today. 1 that I ordered a month ago and 2 from mid November. Crazy.
That is comforting in a way. I ordered a $3 USB adapter off Amazon being shipped from China mid December. So at least there is hope it may still arrive.
I was ready to give up on it. Not worth complaining to Amazon. I know Amazon is great for customer concerns. Last time I complained about them shipping the wrong model of a UPS, they told me to keep and and refunded the whole amount. Having worked in customer service at one time, chronic complainers get perceived as scam artists. I'd rather not be labeled as one over $3 since my Amazon volumes are rather low.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Pay for shipping and tracking. Don’t cheap out for free shipping for negligible items from China. The hard truth.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)