• Dec 15th, 2017 6:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5350 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
I've lurked but never posted in this thread because while there are many great games that stand out within the context of their respective genre and era, many of which were mentioned already, in 20+ years of gaming, there's never been one game that stood out to me as as literally "the greatest game ever made"......until now

The Witcher 3

After spending tons of time on this game in the past year, coming back for Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, constantly being surprised, never once feeling repetition or boredom, I can now confidently say TW3 is the single greatest game I've ever got for my money. The reviews and it being the most awarded game in history speaks for itself and is well deserved.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3013 posts
483 upvotes
GTA
Surprised no one mentioned the last of us. There is no one definitive answer. But out of my favorites I'd say its a fight between the last of us and witcher 3. I think I'm leaning more towards the last of us considering the story had me immersed through out the whole game.
May 21, 2013
695 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal
For me the game I spent countless hours on and yet it was so repetitive was counter strike. Absolutely loved that game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5350 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
firstlaw wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 2:13 pm
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 10:58 am
PC gamer will be releasing a list of the Top 100 PC games on Friday however they already announced the #1 spot this morning which will be The Witcher 3.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-ta ... -top-spot/
The best game I'll never finish.
whats the rush, just play it when you can. This is the kind of game that's so ahead of it's time, other RPG developers will be playing catch up for the next 5 years.
Apr 5, 2012
174 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Link to the past, without any doubt in my mind
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2479 posts
469 upvotes
Quebec
original xcom: ufo ennemy unknown DOS 6.22 version.
Oct 20, 2013
759 posts
196 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Half-Life denefitly ! Graphic, ambience, story... Before HL the genre was called "QUAKE-LIKE", after HL, the genre was called "HALF-LIFE-LIKE"
It was the first shooter with a nice and brilliant scenario. (the part on Xeno was shitty)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4586 posts
134 upvotes
London
Doom 2: really legitimized and mainstream'd the FPS genre. One can argue that Duke Nukem 3D had the same effect (although made the genre more infamous than anything)

C&C Red Alert: did for RTS what Doom2 did for FPS. I personally prefer Warcraft 2 and Starcraft, but I think C&C:RA set the stage for Starcraft to become so successful. Without it, I think Starcraft would been good but not the wonder that was (and still is).

Pokemon: it's hard to argue the impact that this franchise has had on the world. It's main-streamed a whole genre of gaming (Pokemon Go)

Super Mario & Zelda: 'nuff said.

Oh and Tetris: one of the most approachable games OF ALL TIME
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2817 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
Battletoads (NES)
Jackal (NES)
Toki (Arcade)
Wonderboy (Arcade)
Superman (Arcade)
Wrestlemania (Arcade)
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Mario Bros (Commodore 128)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5350 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
felixdd wrote:
Oct 14th, 2016 12:48 am
Doom 2: really legitimized and mainstream'd the FPS genre. One can argue that Duke Nukem 3D had the same effect (although made the genre more infamous than anything)
Doom is definitely a block in the foundation of the genre and multiplayer gaming, but I think games like Goldeneye and Halo were far bigger for legitimizing and bringing the genre to the mainstream. Both Doom and Duke were popular on PC, but PC gaming was a relatively niche thing back then and it wasn't until Goldeneye and then Halo that the genre and multiplayer became introduced to casual gamers
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7515 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
Witcher 3 was pretty good. I've tried to go back and play Witcher 2, but I can't get into it like I did Witcher 3.

I've really enjoyed the Elder Scroll games. At least the ones i've played (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim). I don't remember games being that large before. Where it takes 80 to 100 hours to finish a single player game. Oblivion is still my favourite. Skyrim was pretty awesome too. I feel the last Dragon Age game modeled itself on that a bit. The First Dragon Age game is still the best one (even if it's not mega long). I love the Knight of the old Republic games. Kingdom's of Amalur. I guess I mostly like RPG's, especially medieval set RPG's. We need more of those.

I do find it's hard to compare modern games to classic ones. I still think Super Mario Brother's 3 might be the best game ever made. Even thought it was on the same console the graphics and gameplay were so much better than SMB. I still play it from time to time.