What is the greatest game ever made?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 4:07 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2016
162 posts
33 upvotes
Oh, I forgot to mention the Commandos series. I've killed hours and hours with Commandos.
Jan 22, 2017
48 posts
2 upvotes
it depends on how you score the best....games to me that really shaped gaming we know.

super mario... cmon its mario.

street fighter 2... this game spawned an entire genre and it still going strong today. competition is strong.

counterstrike... game started out as a mod and then ignited fps online multiplayer to a whole new level.

warcraft 2... i think this was the game that sparked online multiplayer for most of the early gamers out there. back when battle.net didn't exist. this game brought us kali and gamespy and that in turned made game devs make online multiplayer pretty much a permanent thing in all games going forward.

final fantasy 7... ok when this sucker came out. it pushed that psx hardware to it's limits... came out on what...6 or 7 cd's?? and it pretty much put the playstation on the map.
i think this game alone was the sole reason most ppl bought a playstation during that time.

DOTA... again another game the create a genre. there would be no league of legends or other free MOBA's without this game that started out as a mod for wc3.

these games were what set the stage for the games our generation love to today. i think for myself diablo and starcraft were the games that got me hooked.
i'll never forget how badly i wanted to get a computer or the days i would play sick so i could stay home and run bgh with my buddies. heck even going to internet cafes after school for an hour with pals was a thing because of some of these games.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4132 posts
409 upvotes
Leisure Suite Larry. made a huge impact in my young life...
Temp. Banned
Jan 5, 2017
262 posts
207 upvotes
The thing that makes a game the greatest game is replay ability. So it has to be multiplayer.
Starcraft 1?
Jun 14, 2015
76 posts
30 upvotes
Lets not forget GTA .... all the big name games thesedays are open world games.
Jun 20, 2016
57 posts
112 upvotes
XCOM - UFO enemy unknown (the original).. if we're going to pick a category, this must hold the strategy crown
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1559 posts
509 upvotes
Mario Bros.
Mario 64
Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Wind Waker
SNES Super Castlevania 4
Punch Out
Tetris
Super C Contra
Starcraft
Street Fighter 2
Warcraft 2
C&C
Dune 2
Mortal Kombat 1/2
Doom
Mario Kart
Wii Sports
Good...Good...
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15972 posts
366 upvotes
Pokemon Blue/Red...beautiful memories and fun times. I remember link battles during recess and wrecking them kids.
Sep 10, 2004
684 posts
33 upvotes
Counterstrike hands down. No other game comes even close for me.

But to be honest, we should have 2 categories, 1) Online and 2) Single Player Only.

The experiences in a SP game are finite, whereas multiplayer focused games have hundreds, or even thousands of hours of replayability. Its not a fair comparison.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1379 posts
210 upvotes
Vancouver
I've played DOTA consistently for the past decade, so that is my pick for PC.

For consoles, it's Ocarina of Time. I've replayed it several times since I first beat it a decade back as well.
Head-Fi Feedback (18)
eBay Feedback (79)
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994