Personal Finance

What happends if I do a stop payment on paypal?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2008 12:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary

What happends if I do a stop payment on paypal?

What happens if I do a stop payment on paypal? I have no cc on the account, so the transactions are still pending on paypal. So what would happen? Paypal would just take the money back from the recipient?
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tijuana wrote:
Feb 10th, 2008 1:03 am
What happens if I do a stop payment on paypal? I have no cc on the account, so the transactions are still pending on paypal. So what would happen? Paypal would just take the money back from the recipient?
If the payment is still pending, then Paypal has not sent it to the recipient, as they will not do until they receive the funds from your account.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
so paypal will jsut e-mail me and say we couldn't not get the funds out of your account and thats it?
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4797 posts
414 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
Feb 9th, 2008 10:51 pm
so paypal will jsut e-mail me and say we couldn't not get the funds out of your account and thats it?
Pretty much, the recipient doensn't have the money yet. It will show as Payment "Failed" on their screen.

You are of course responsible for the Stop Payment Fee. Depending when you initiate the stop payment, it may not be successful because it would be an "In-Process" payment (it's never guaranteed).

If you have multiple transactions you will have to submit stop payments for each one individually.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
The stop payment charges will end up going against whoever you first made the payment to:

4.5 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. This means that you will be responsible for the amount of the payment, plus the applicable Fees listed in section 8 of this Agreement if you lose a Claim or a Chargeback, or if there is a Reversal of the payment. You agree to allow PayPal to recover any amounts due to PayPal by debiting your Balance. If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. If the transaction is eligible under the Seller Protection Policy in section 11, PayPal will cover the amount of the Reversal or Chargeback and waive the Chargeback Fee, if applicable.

Also if you do this Paypal can spontaneously close your account.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
× < >