Careers

What happened to the Metro paper freebie handlers?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 9:21 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10597 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto

What happened to the Metro paper freebie handlers?

They seem to have disappeared since September. Does anybody know if it's a cut back? Anybody also have any idea what they got paid? Just curious.
15 replies
Nov 26, 2016
184 posts
38 upvotes
Haven't seen them either. I doubt they get paid more than min. wage
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2200 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:27 pm
They seem to have disappeared since September. Does anybody know if it's a cut back? Anybody also have any idea what they got paid? Just curious.
The minimum wage is about to go up.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1839 posts
304 upvotes
Burlington
I noticed it went missing from the Go station I take on weekday mornings and the people handing them out near union station were not there anymore, I don't know what happened though.

I have seen postings on indeed by metro for the merchandising part of the newspaper operation not necessarily for handing it out though, they usually quote it at $14 per hour, minimum wage is still $11.40 per hour at the moment. Part time weekday hours though and it used to be for places in the Gta.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6330 posts
813 upvotes
I met one of them before the long weekend he told me it was his last day, his job was being terminated.
It's sad but kind of see it coming.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2705 posts
533 upvotes
All Metro Newspaper Boxes will be taken off GO Property shortly, if not immediately. Metro has decided not to renew their current agreement with Metrolinx.

As for the ppl who were handing them out on the street corners, Metro has also decided to cut back on that too, relying solely on the boxes itself.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Wow! Sad for them. There was a guy handing it out metro papers at my ttc station for over a year.... a fairly young guy..
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2079 posts
963 upvotes
For at least the last couple of years there was always someone handing these out at Front/Simcoe.

They disappeared after the long weekend as well. It's a shame because it was generally a couple of different people and they were always out there no matter the weather.

Sadly, more collateral damage from Wynne's drastic minimum wage hike. If the wage hike to $15/hour was spread out over 36 months as opposed to 18 I believe we wouldn't be seeing such a rush to replace these lower wage earners with other methods. But hey...anything for votes right?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1818 posts
651 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:25 pm
For at least the last couple of years there was always someone handing these out at Front/Simcoe.

They disappeared after the long weekend as well. It's a shame because it was generally a couple of different people and they were always out there no matter the weather.

Sadly, more collateral damage from Wynne's drastic minimum wage hike. If the wage hike to $15/hour was spread out over 36 months as opposed to 18 I believe we wouldn't be seeing such a rush to replace these lower wage earners with other methods. But hey...anything for votes right?
I don't get it man. Don't you have a nice job with the WSIB/Government? Why are you hating on people who are likely not going to earn anywhere near your salary/benefits in the near future?

Unless you were being sarcastic?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2438 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:58 pm
I don't get it man. Don't you have a nice job with the WSIB/Government? Why are you hating on people who are likely not going to earn anywhere near your salary/benefits in the near future?

I believe he is hating on Wynne's decision to increase minimum wage drastically in order to buy votes, and not the employees. Let's be honest, Wynne studies LINGUISTICS during university, and has never worked in the private sector where market value for anything matters. What she doesn't know is that the mandatory wage increase does not really work if the employees aren't working for the public sector. If public "servants" want a wage increase, the public sector can just get more taxes. However, if the private workers wants a raise, the employer can easily find a replacement that will work harder and for less money.

A few of my friends has had contract positions with the government a few years ago and they would laugh at how much I was making before because when I was getting paid $15/hr, they were getting $30/hr to socialize with the other coworkers. A year later when the government did not extend their contract like they hoped for, they tried applying for private sector jobs, and I can guarantee you the result was depressing, as their arts degree and government experience are completely useless.

I recently saw a few government job postings for admin clerk, and they pay $40,000-$50,000 salary. Please go on indeed and try to find me an admin clerk job that pays this salary. You can argue that public sector high level executives gets paid less than private sector, but there can only be one CEO/CFO in the organization, while the rest will be paid less than the public sector and need to work twice as hard.

When my friends were working for the public sector, I was told that overtime is non-existent. Even if there is overtime, they get paid 1.5x. I have worked for a few decently sized companies and I have never heard of overtime pay for salaried employees.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2079 posts
963 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm sad for the people that are losing their job because the Premier wants more votes. I have no problem with a $15 minimum wage but implementing this within such a short amount of time is causing businesses to replace these workers with things such as self serve kiosks or removing their role completely.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10597 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 6:13 pm
I'm sad for the people that are losing their job because the Premier wants more votes. I have no problem with a $15 minimum wage but implementing this within such a short amount of time is causing businesses to replace these workers with things such as self serve kiosks or removing their role completely.
Same here. At Kennedy Station, there was this Indian girl, since last winter The person before that wasn't as good (older lady was slower, less reactive, didn't seem to care to give it to everyone). But the Indian girl, definitely seemed like a 'hustler' newer immigrant. Not as highly educated. But really friendly, hustling, was quick, said good morning in a cheerier way, even when it was -5 type thing, and tried to give it to everyone, especially when the GO Train got off. But she's been gone too since after labour day.

I am saddened for people like that. There are countless jobs like that, that probably wasn't really registered, but provided sufficient income for alot of people that has gone and will be gone. Funnily, the Star did that article on temp workers and their precarious situation. I plan to email the reporter on that and ask her why doesn't she do a story on the Star's own treatment of its Metro Workers. No benefits, no training, extremely precarious, just laying them all off like that, and I bet, without providing any sort of severance, benefits, etc. (basically pointing out the hypocrisy in them).

I bet it wasn't just the money thing. It was also all the strict rules regarding what you can and can't do that is looming. The Star saw and said "Let's cut this while we can and before we take any heat for it when it becomes a bigger issue next year".
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1818 posts
651 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 6:13 pm
The unions have been advocating for this for years though. It's sad that employers think they can continue to abuse people labour and treat them so poorly. Also, I doubt this job with or without the minimum wage increase would have helped these folks in the long-term.

Also, working in WSIB - I'm sure you've seen your share of shitty employers out there, treating there employees like shit, paying there employees like shit, and basically valuing the dollar over the worker's well-being. Little sympathy here. We can't keep treating workers like shit to keep costs down while inflating the pockets of the top brass.
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Sep 14th, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1818 posts
651 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 8:40 pm
Same here. At Kennedy Station, there was this Indian girl, since last winter The person before that wasn't as good (older lady was slower, less reactive, didn't seem to care to give it to everyone). But the Indian girl, definitely seemed like a 'hustler' newer immigrant. Not as highly educated. But really friendly, hustling, was quick, said good morning in a cheerier way, even when it was -5 type thing, and tried to give it to everyone, especially when the GO Train got off. But she's been gone too since after labour day.

I am saddened for people like that. There are countless jobs like that, that probably wasn't really registered, but provided sufficient income for alot of people that has gone and will be gone. Funnily, the Star did that article on temp workers and their precarious situation. I plan to email the reporter on that and ask her why doesn't she do a story on the Star's own treatment of its Metro Workers. No benefits, no training, extremely precarious, just laying them all off like that, and I bet, without providing any sort of severance, benefits, etc. (basically pointing out the hypocrisy in them).

I bet it wasn't just the money thing. It was also all the strict rules regarding what you can and can't do that is looming. The Star saw and said "Let's cut this while we can and before we take any heat for it when it becomes a bigger issue next year".
It sounds like she was being taken advantage of, and I hope that girl was able to find an employer who will treat her fairly.
Oct 5, 2012
129 posts
37 upvotes
BC
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 9:20 pm
The unions have been advocating for this for years though. It's sad that employers think they can continue to abuse people labour and treat them so poorly. Also, I doubt this job with or without the minimum wage increase would have helped these folks in the long-term.

Also, working in WSIB - I'm sure you've seen your share of shitty employers out there, treating there employees like shit, paying there employees like shit, and basically valuing the dollar over the worker's well-being. Little sympathy here. We can't keep treating workers like shit to keep costs down while inflating the pockets of the top brass.
I was a victim of this, multiple times. I've been made to cut people's actual hours to 8 max and been made to make it a requirement that people stay past 8 hours or I cut their shifts. All that time I wish that there was a way I could report this and for something to actually happen. This whole report this to your manager > district manager > HR doesn't work if the manager the DM and the HR are corrupt.

I've found that it's hard to get a job at a work place who actually do treat employees even just a little better (but I get it). I also really wish there was something that "encourages" employers to send off RoE asap. I mean sure, you let somebody go, but it's a really low blow to burn somebody a second time by making it difficult for them to obtain EI when they're just trying to make ends meet with that money.