Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes

What happened to Red River cereal?

I have been buying and eating Red River cereal for years. I liked it long before I knew it was healthy. Almost like comfort food from when I was a kid...something you eat on a cold morning and it gives you much satisfaction.

So, my mom knows I like the cereal and she gave me some extra boxes of Red River. When I got them home and put them in my storage, I noticed the boxes were a bit different size than the ones I already had but didn't think anything of it.

However, when I made the cereal, it was totally different than normal. I learned from calling them that they no longer make it in Canada but buy it from the U.S. and if you try to follow the recipe instructions, you will end up with seriously watery cereal with a weird, unlikeable texture.

1. I can't eat this anymore and have a few boxes that I would like to find an alternative use for. Any suggestions? I have a grain grinder and was thinking worst case scenario, I could make multigrain flour and use it for breads, etc.

2. What is the closest substitute to Red River cereal? I was going gluten-free for a while and tried one of Bob's Red Mill cereal products but it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. My preference is not stone-ground cereal because sometimes you end up with hard, bits of stone in the cereal. I believe Red River met this criteria. Not sure about what other manufacturer's might make an equivalent product.
28 replies
Mar 19, 2015
627 posts
120 upvotes
Canada
Have you tried cooking it with milk, instead of water, or use less water?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2016 11:50 pm
if you try to follow the recipe instructions, you will end up with seriously watery cereal with a weird, unlikeable texture.
You didn't cook it for long enough. You need to cook it until it is like burbling mud pots in a lava field. You need to cook the water out, in other words.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I just ran out of Red River Cereal. Did this change happen recently? I use a measuring cup for the water and grain, then microwave. But there is usually a variability with how the cereal turns out. If it is too watery, I just leave the bowl covered for longer, so that the excess water gets soaked up by the cereal,.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6858 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
I had no idea what this was until I googled it.

Seems like cream of wheat with additional types of grains.

As most have said, altering the amount of liquid/water and cooking time may yield good results eventually.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 12:53 pm
I just ran out of Red River Cereal. Did this change happen recently? I use a measuring cup for the water and grain, then microwave. But there is usually a variability with how the cereal turns out. If it is too watery, I just leave the bowl covered for longer, so that the excess water gets soaked up by the cereal,.
The last time I bought a box was May 2015 and it says Product of USA on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 1:00 pm
I had no idea what this was until I googled it.

Seems like cream of wheat with additional types of grains.

As most have said, altering the amount of liquid/water and cooking time may yield good results eventually.
It's much more chewy and substantial than cream of wheat - more like the wheat in a bulgar wheat salad (tabbouleh). Or steel-cut oatmeal. Plus flax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 24th, 2016 12:53 pm
The cereal looks a lot different than it used to. It has an extreme amount of flax in it (I am not sure if this hydrates) and it is abnormally watery. The old Red River would cook down if there was more water but with the old Red River, if you follow the cooking directions it would be perfectly hydrated every time. The new Red River seems to be comprised of items that do not hydrate. It's just gross to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2407 posts
222 upvotes
I grew up on RRC - loved it. Even when you couldn't tell which were grain beetles and which was grains....
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jun 25th, 2016 10:14 am
The cereal looks a lot different than it used to. It has an extreme amount of flax in it (I am not sure if this hydrates) and it is abnormally watery. The old Red River would cook down if there was more water but with the old Red River, if you follow the cooking directions it would be perfectly hydrated every time. The new Red River seems to be comprised of items that do not hydrate. It's just gross to me.
I'm eating the new Red River and I have had no technical problems. May I point out the box says to cook until "desired consistency". If the consistency was not what you desired, the short answer is you undercooked it, are impatient, and blame everything but your technique.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
i love RR cereal eat it every morning!!

they also jacked up the price significantly

5.29 at longo and 5 at metro

where do yall buy yours?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3907 posts
1272 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 8:45 am
i love RR cereal eat it every morning!!

they also jacked up the price significantly

5.29 at longo and 5 at metro

where do yall buy yours?
$3.99 No Frills
Feb 11, 2017
2 posts
They did change the recipe on the box. It used to be 1/4 cup of red river to 3/4 cup of water. Not sure why it was changed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3168 posts
743 upvotes
Dblyouh wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 8:57 pm
They did change the recipe on the box. It used to be 1/4 cup of red river to 3/4 cup of water. Not sure why it was changed.
This totally makes sense because the new version will end up being too watery if using the old water to cereal ratio. I called the RR people and they explained that it is no longer a Canadian product but is made in the USA. Also, the wheat is now not cracked but steel cut. I have switched to buying my hot cereal out of the bulk bins because I prefer the consistency of the bulk stuff.